Author Topic: Cannon-Mania, Cannon Mania  (Read 17658 times)

Offline reddog

• Trade Count: (0)
Cannon-Mania, Cannon Mania
« on: March 01, 2006, 07:04:18 AM »
Hi, I got my first cannon for Christmas this year from cannon-mania, the 1 inch bore field cannon. It came 2 days before Christmas!! That was great!!! Took about 4 weeks. OK so now I order a 1inch cannonball mould, A roll of fuse, and A powder measure. A month and a half later nothing has shown up. I got A confirmation #, Ive emailed them to check on my order, no answer. Ive called, no answer. I this normal or has anyone else had this proplem? thanks.
"Catch A cannonball, now take me down the line. My bag is sinkin' low and I do believe it's time."

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
Cannon-Mania
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 08:27:19 AM »
Yes I have had the same  problem., since December with sets of Bronze trunnion caps.  My first set was orderd in November., I received them after Christmas., my second order was at the time I recieved the first order. 2 months and no communication.
I cannot get emails returned ., phone calls returned.,I leave a message and it doesnt matter.,I cant even get an answer to cancel so I can move on and do something differant so I can finish my projects.

They make a few nice parts no doubt., but thier business practices would cripple me if I were to use them. It is upsetting to deal with no question about it. We are done.

I am starting to think its the norm on Black powder companies.,I purchased a pistol from Cherrys June13, 05 and got re-emberssed to my Visa at the end of February 06 .,after much arguement.  Tired of waiting.

This makes me very despondent and un willing to do business with these people again.

I will say I have had a few more ., major projects done from board members of Greybeard and was shocked at the quality of work.,the communication and speed and care given to the project. I have had questions asked of me for my imput and a willingness to make me happy before we even began so this person could deliver to me more than my expectations.

The best experience I have ever had doing cannons has been from a few members right here.
My gratitude and thanks to these fine artists. Thank You so much for helping me to  achieve my Black-Powder goals  !
Rich

Offline Dictator

• Avid Poster
Cannon-Mania
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 11:56:53 AM »
I've had the same issue when I orderd a musket cap lock for Christmas and heard nothing until Jan. 10 when I too received an order confirmation email. I figured they were probably down for the holiday weeks. Then I orded an elevation screw and got a confirmation in about a week. I received the elevation screw in about 3 weeks. They don't seem real excited about customer service.

Joe

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
Cannon-Mania
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 05:00:09 PM »
I ordered a cannon ball mold a month ago. Credit card was charged immediately...Sent several e-mails, one reply near the beginning (saying it would go out in a week). No more replies, no ball mold.... dunno what's up either. This is my first and only experience with him.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Cannon-Mania
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 01:16:15 AM »
Rickk -

WELCOME to the board!

Suggest that SOMEONE with direct interest (hint) pick up the phone and call!

Tax-a-chussetts eh?  I lived for a year in Northhampton before my folks moved to Iowa, and was stationed for a couple of years at Ft. Devens.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline reddog

cannon-mania
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 02:17:48 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, Well at least I got my cannon. Now, next question, does anyone know where I can get A 1 inch ball mould?
"Catch A cannonball, now take me down the line. My bag is sinkin' low and I do believe it's time."

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
Cannon-Mania
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 04:42:42 AM »
Calling is on my list of things to do, although if e-mails are ignored by a business with a web-only presence I am not sure if a call will be any better.

I did order a 2# cannonball sinker mold yesterday from do-it. It should work out about right.

As far as Northampton, I live three towns south of there. Any idea who in the area might be able to run a Mass Cannon competancy certification course? I can't find anyone certified at all, and only someone with a cert issues at least 5 years ago can cert someone else. So much for making it easy to be legal.

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
Cannon-Mania
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 09:50:28 AM »
I've had mixed results with Mr David Ross, owner and operator of Cannon-Mania.  He hasn't done too bad on in-stock items, but on special order stuff, etc. the wait can be forever. It's rare for him to answer the phone or respond to e-mail in a timely manner if at all. David has told me he is constantly backed up with work on the carriages he makes for the bigger cannons he sells. However that problem might take care of itself if overall customer service doesn't improve.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
Cannon-mania
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 06:52:02 AM »
Hi , I'm a newby here at GBO , I aslo am having small problem with an item order on Feb 10th . Over a week ago I spoke with David Ross , He promised to find out why I havent recieved my cannon and that would contact me by email or phone . Never happened I've also called left several voice messages still nothing . So its seem he needs to hire someone to help with this part of his business . Otherwise hes going to lose vaulable costumers..[/url]

Offline reddog

Cannon-Mania
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 07:38:42 AM »
Hi El well at least I got my cannon. cant seem to get A mould. What cannon did you order? Mine is the 1 inch bore field cannon. By the way are you near N.J.? good luck with your order>

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
My purchase from cannon - mania
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 09:16:24 AM »
Hey R-dog ,

its a brass buffed 1/38 9 inch .50 bore 1/6 scale 3 pounder on garrison . I feel like little kid just can't wait till arrives .  :oops:

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
I live in NYC
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 09:21:48 AM »
in the upper eastside....

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
Cannon-Mania
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 01:13:42 PM »
I'm still waiting for my mold from cannon-mania as well. Been somthing like 6 weeks since he charged my credit card. He hasn't responded to any of my attempts to contact him.

I ordered and recieved a fishing sinker mold from "Do-it" though.... Tried it out already. The 2# cavity runs about 2.11-2.12 with recycled pistol range lead. For a fishing sinker, it is reasonably round. I pre-heated the mold by dipping it in the lead, and then started pouring. It still took a while to heat up. The first ball sucked, the second was rough, the third one looked nice. If you try one, have a C-clamp handy to hold it closed.

There is a 3# cavity in the mold as well, but I don't need it so havn't tried it. I'll pour a couple 3# balls next time I cast just to get the diameter.

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
Cannon-Mania
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 02:01:06 PM »
I'm still waiting for my mold from cannon-mania as well. Been somthing like 6 weeks since he charged my credit card. He hasn't responded to any of my attempts to contact him.

Yea thats right., thats normal for him.  I went ahead and moved on., I cut my own steel and had a local welder then weld my pieces.  They turned out great .

I am hoping Cannon-Mania finishes my bronze caps., that'll be cool when I refuse them at the door and notify Capital One to not accept the charge against my card., Capital One is cool that way., they go with what their card holder wants., thats why I use their card., they work for me.

I am not calling to cancel any more., it costs me money to talk to his machine for his rudeness of no response.  this means to him., Your time is worhtless., you are not worth a phone call to confirm and then follow up. That is rude.

Cannon-Mania's  customer relations suck.  I would never recommend them to anyone., and I would advise against him whole heartedly. you guys are talking a month.., 6 weeks. i am going on 3 months.

I have dealt with many vendors on the net.  I usually find them good. I have been told it could be months., and thats o.k. Then we order and we are expecting it to take some time., no problem.  If a problem does arise you are contacted., no problem., stuff happens. The no contact., loss of time., (Yours) and still no contact.  No. :?

Offline reddog

Cannon-Mania
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 03:04:49 PM »
Tropico, thanks your right!!! No reply that is bad. I e-mailed them agian today, still waiting for a reply. Dont advertise what you cant produce. I guess they will take your money for a cannon, {I did get the cannon}, but anything else forget about it. I hope David Ross reads this!!!

Offline Charcoal Burner

Cannon-Mania
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2006, 03:21:13 PM »
HI folks , :D   first post. I have the same problem ordered a 3 1/8 mould sent payment , tried to verify that he recieved payment.. no response and no mould,,, reddog, I have the same cannon  you have . Put a lock on mine (had a close call with fuse once bad deal ) I have some 1 in lead ball i can send you if your interested . Anyway, took me a while to find this board  lots of good advice and links  for my furture builds, THANKS!
Even a blind squirrel gets a nut now and then,

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Cannon-Mania
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2006, 03:37:23 PM »
Hey Tropico, I have been thinking of casting some capsquares. What size do you need? I can make them in aluminum and Bronze.  I think? I havent had good lock with bronze yet. But i haven't tried my new furnace yet ether.

Let me know, Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
Cannon-Mania
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2006, 03:55:45 PM »
This is not good !!!!!   :cry:  :cry: If I only found this place sooner I would done my business elsewhere. I guess contact credit card co. cancel this order...

Offline reddog

Cannon-Mania
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2006, 04:08:28 PM »
Hey EL, dont cancel your order, they will send you your cannon, just dont try to get a ball mould or fuse.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Cannon-Mania
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2006, 04:08:59 PM »
Quote from: Charcoal Burner
HI folks , :D   first post. I

WELCOME to the board!  You'll find a wide variety of good folks here - some make, some use, some sell cannons and mortars.

Leave Illinois?  There's room here in Virginia!
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline reddog

Cannon-Mania
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2006, 04:16:18 PM »
Hi charcoal, how do you like your cannon? I love mine. I would be intrested in your cannon balls, but still want a mould to cast my own[Thats the fun of this hobby}

Offline GGaskill

Cannon-Mania
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2006, 05:10:54 PM »
PM Powder Keg about custom moulds.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Charcoal Burner

Cannon-Mania
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2006, 03:07:05 AM »
Thanks Cat, nice to be here, After building a rough version of what i now know as a thunder mug  a few years back, I started searching  on the net for cannons, I found Cannon - Mania, purchased a small cannon had so much fun with it, I now have a new hobby.I've purchased A couple small Dictators from Brooks cannons also  they are real quality work.And I'm in the process of building a 3 1/8 mortar ,,That's if I can get my mould! I'll post a few pics as soon as i figure out how to do that.     reddog, I mostly blank fire mine 3/4 film canister 2ff and a tissue for wadding, really loud,but I do live fire it occasionally, barrel is a bit tricky to take off the carriage though, Drop me a pm  and i'll get a dozen or so out to ya ...Thanks Mike,
Even a blind squirrel gets a nut now and then,

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
Cannon-Mania
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2006, 08:46:41 AM »
Powder-Keg .,1 1/2" Caps would be my next order Wes. Of course we will need enough for the ship !
Bronze sounds great., I never thought of aluminum but that actually sounds pretty nice too. Definitely can be polished !

Offline GGaskill

Cannon-Mania
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2006, 09:44:05 AM »
I haven't had good lock with bronze yet.

What temperature are you casting at?  Bronze needs to be hot to flow freely.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Cannon-Mania
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2006, 10:43:42 AM »
Don't no the temp. That was my main problem, no pyrometer. I have one now though. Wish me luck.

Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline kappullen

• Avid Poster
Molds
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2006, 01:20:42 PM »
I have been working weekends to get a new control on my cnc mill.

I've had much trouble with moving files and such but my kind wife(the programer) hav worked thru a couple of problems with the machine.

Today, I made the first parts.  They happen to be 1" ball mold blocks.

They are machuned to about .02 undersize.  I've looked at the C Mania page and noticed the slots in the blocks.

What are they for?  I think a visegrip welding clamp with the nibs cut off
and pinned to the block would work great.

Yep, I can make capsquares and nuts for your tails, or trails.

Send a sketch and I'll figure a price.

Kap

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Cannon-Mania
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2006, 01:50:28 PM »

Elegant!

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
Cannon-Mania
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2006, 07:10:07 AM »
Slots in mold blocks are air vents.

If the lead goes in the sprue hole, the air has to come out some other way. If it didn't the rapidly expanding air (do to the heat of the lead) would prevent a good fill and may also blow molten lead all over the place.

Because air is not very dense, It doesn't take much of a slot to let the air out. A small slot will pass air, but not lead. Slots snead to be near the top, as slots cut in the bottom will be blocked as the lead level rises.

Most pistol / rilfe molds have a crosshatch pattern of some sort on the mating faces to accomplish venting.

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
Cannon-Mania
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2006, 09:01:56 AM »
Most pistol / rilfe molds have a crosshatch pattern of some sort on the mating faces to accomplish venting.

Darned if I don't learn something every now and then. I've been casting bullets for 23 years and never wondered about those lines the whole time.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.