Author Topic: Paper straws for quills  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Paper straws for quills
« on: October 11, 2006, 06:16:50 AM »
Hijacked straight from Claypipes board:

Artstraws

Now if we could just get Rifleshooter to post his pictures on how to make the quills.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.lioby.com
Re: Paper straws for quills
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 09:08:14 AM »
that's where I bought my lifetime supply.

Look a few pages back... I posted pictures of how to make them. The flammable part is cotton string saturated with black powder. It is real easy and they work great.

It should be at :

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,95774.0.html 

Offline threepdr

• Avid Poster
    • Eras Gone Blog Spot
saturated string
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 09:46:22 AM »
I also got my lifetime supply from ArtStraw.  Each of the long straws will make 4 or 5 quils.

I did not have any luck with the saturated string.  It would not burn consistantly.  Usually, it would not burn at all.

I use "quilting tape", which is a 3/16 inch wide masking tape.  It is covered in 4f powder and then inserted into the strap with a 1/8 inch steel rod.  The head is made of round white stickers.  I'm making some up tonight for use at Yorktown 225th.  If I can get my wife to take some pics of the process I will post them.

I have never had a quill to fail.  Much more reliable and safer than using loose powder to prime. ;D
See my history and archaeology blog at:  http://erasgone.blogspot.com/

Offline claypipe

• Http://www.handgonne.com
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 07:51:18 PM »
Hijacked straight from Claypipes board:

Artstraws

Now if we could just get Rifleshooter to post his pictures on how to make the quills.

That's not my board any longer, I resigned my position as moderator a while back.

CP

Offline rifleshooter2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 09:22:50 AM »
Ok here are the pics of the way I make quills.

Step #1 Cut the straws to length I make mine long enough to reach about 1/4 of the way into the chamber.

Step #2 Cut some double sided tape lengthwise. The tape shpould be a little linger than the quill about 1/2 to 1 inch longer.

Step #3 Dust the quill with 4F powder I just roll in in a small pile of powder.

Step #4 slide the powder coated tape into the straw. Make sure a small amount sticks out the bottom.

Thats about it. I intend to try using paper renforcment rings to make a cone at the top just to give a larger area for the slowmatch to contact. I havent had any trouble just using the tape only but I got the Idea from Grapeshot on another board and I think they will look a little more authentic. You can cut out a cone from paper but that takes alot of time

Here are some of the quills I use

Andy
Legion Ville Historical Society
www.legionville.com
Save Legionville

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 02:00:48 PM »
I tried the cone thing... didn't light any quicker than the saturated string, so I gave up on it.

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 04:36:14 PM »
Did a thread a while back about rolling your own using post-it notes.  Think it is linked in the reference section.  They have always worked real well for me, just split the end a bit before inserting in the vent and it gives a slightly larger target for the slowmatch.  A LOT easier than trying to form a cone.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Double D

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 06:06:26 PM »
E.D.

Several people have posted in the past how to make quills.  Since the change over in software those links have been unrecoverable. 

If you posted in the past  how to make quills look go to your profiler and look at you list of old post.  Find the your quill post and post the link here in this post. 

I am going to link this post to the FAQ post on quills and we will have everyones idea's in one spot. 

E.D. I think yours was the first post we had on this board for Making Guills.  I remember Ricks also.

When I was looking for the posts to  link up I couldn't remember who made the post just that they were made.

Rifle Shooter, thanks for posting that here.  I saw your post over on the other board.  By the way I tried sending you an email from your profile on that board and got a return for  bad address.

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 03:22:00 AM »
Found it.  How to roll your own paper quills using Post-It notes.  http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,59198.msg355121.html#msg355121
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Double D

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 04:45:20 AM »

Offline rifleshooter2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 09:43:52 AM »
E.D.

Rifle Shooter, thanks for posting that here.  I saw your post over on the other board.  By the way I tried sending you an email from your profile on that board and got a return for  bad address.

I changed servers and forgot to change my e-mail in the other board I'll send you a private message with my new address.

Andy
Save Legionville

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 10:57:04 AM »
Try this method - Take your straws, make into a bundle, with a rubber band around them to hold them together - Spray aerosol mount spray down the ends. Then place the bundle of straws into a bowl...... pour fine BP onto the straws. It will pour over and into the straws, sticking to the glue. cover the top of the bundle with BP. Then lift out the bundle and shake into the bowl. The inside of each straw should be coated with a thin layer of BP.
I used this method for a time and it's pretty reliable. The straw goes off with a loud CRACK.
Richard
Founder in 1986 of Historical Artillery Corps, later changed to Historical Artillery UK.
Builder of Cannons and models for South-Western Artillery, Fort Amhurst, Coalhouse Fort and private commissions.
Technical Consultant for two episodes of Scrapheap Challenge. Ex Pyrotechnic Safety Officer at Coalhouse Fort. I go trekking and survivalist camping - build experimental tents and survival equipment - caving.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 03:23:08 AM »
Try this method - Take your straws, make into a bundle, with a rubber band around them to hold them together - Spray aerosol mount spray down the ends. Then place the bundle of straws into a bowl...... pour fine BP onto the straws. It will pour over and into the straws, sticking to the glue. cover the top of the bundle with BP. Then lift out the bundle and shake into the bowl. The inside of each straw should be coated with a thin layer of BP.
I used this method for a time and it's pretty reliable. The straw goes off with a loud CRACK.
Richard

Richard -

WELCOME to the board!

Excellent description - it would make an interesting photo series too.

Love to see some pictures of what you shoot.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)