Author Topic: New barrels arrived  (Read 489 times)

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
New barrels arrived
« on: November 06, 2006, 06:05:04 AM »
Now for some good news on my new barrels

Got the 35 whelen and a 44 mag.

35 whelen I have issues with some unfired brass and posted in another thread.

But, I checked the bore dia at the muzzle of the 44mag - .430, so maybe I will have better luck than the many that have posted .432 dia bores.

Also, both of these barrels fit my 2 frames.  This saves me the need to buy another scope soon.  I am going to use the 44mag, 357max, and 45-70 on my BC frame and stock, and use the open sites with these.  I will move my scope from the 357max to the 35whelen and use it on my monte carlo stock along with the 223 and 243.  I have not tried the 44mag yet, I'll get to it after opening weekend of deer season.  HR had my gun for 4 weeks in October for anyone wondering about current turn around time.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: New barrels arrived
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 07:15:31 AM »
Thanks for the report, I'm sure there are those here that wonder how long it takes currently! Have ya checked the twist rate on the 44mag yet? It would be nice if they made it the standard 1:20" or 1:26" instead of the obsolete 1:38".

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 09:46:51 AM »
havent checked the twist on the 44mag,

I have the dies and bullets, no brass.  Im going to look for some factory ammo and just use that.   I want to get thru the whelen science project first, along with sighting in my deer rifes and partying, I mean hunting.  And, I forgot, Im trying to figure out the 357max loading too, but I think I got that one crossed off the list for now. 

Reloading was much simpler when I just played around with the 30-06.  Certainly, I was more methodical in my approach then.  Now, I just bang out ammo and see how fast it shoots.  Oh well, its still fun, and I will be back at the barrel feed trough as soon as a 6.5 mm offering comes out!!  Other than that, I dont see anything at HR that I want right now, or for next year. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 10:31:03 AM »
I was thinkin on getting a 44mag barrel, but now that the .444Marlin is coming, that's my next new caliber, it will be interesting to see if it's a 1:38" or 1:20". ???

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain