Author Topic: .357 Handi Does it's Job  (Read 1083 times)

Offline carp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
.357 Handi Does it's Job
« on: December 02, 2006, 02:19:44 PM »
I decided to do something a little different today. Instead of getting up bright and early I slept in, had breakfast and headed out to the hunting club to arrive around mid morning. There was only one other member there and he informed me he was the only one there for the whole morning. We decided that since we had the whole place to ourselves that we would walk through some thick stuff and do some scouting and maybe jump up a deer. After we did this a couple of hours with no luck we decided to head for the stands at about 1:00. Today I borrowed my Daughter’s .357 magnum Handi rifle. I had been hankering to give it a try after she got her first deer with it this year. I rode my four wheeler through a flooded roadbed to a stand that had received very little pressure this year due to its inaccessibility. We named it Jurassic Park. I settled into the stand at about 1:30, drank a little water and ate a little trail mix. I pulled a set of rattling antlers off of the hook in the tree and gave them a go, then pulled my grunt tube out of my pocket and started using it. Just a short while later I caught some movement to my left at about 50 yards in some thick stuff. I could see antlers but I couldn’t get a shot. I grunted again. He paused, but continued on in the same direction and disappeared. I blew the grunt call some more and tickled the antlers again. I did this off and on for around 15 minutes. I then decided to pull the tube off of the grunt call and tried again for a different sound. It worked! I could see him angling back toward me heading for an opening that would give me a shot. He stopped in the opening; I put the crosshair behind his shoulder, squeezed the trigger and at the crack of the rifle he hit the ground. It was 2:01.  He is a fairly symmetrical 8 pointer with a 16 ¼ inch spread. I am very impressed with the .357s performance. I may have to borrow it again sometime.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: .357 Handi Does it's Job
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 02:36:00 PM »
Congrats, sometimes doing things a little different is all it takes to break a dry spell!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline acloco

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 02:36:13 PM »
VERY nice.  Patience is hard to live with sometimes....but you have the results!

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 07:26:00 PM »
...I may have to borrow it again sometime.

Good deal!! Thanks for sharing with us. But I think you need to get one for yourself. Think how much fun it would be to be using the same rifle/caliber as you two hunt together.

My best friend//hunting partner to get his first Handi (270) two years ago. Now, when we hunt together, I would not think of not having one of my Handis with me.
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline bigjeepman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 01:38:04 AM »
Excellent story and pictures .... great job!
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 01:50:44 AM »
just goes to prove  you dont need a huge caliber to drop a whitetail,, great job!!

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 06:15:18 AM »
What kind of load were you using?  It obviously did the job, we just don't know what "it" was!  ;)

Offline carp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 06:21:19 AM »
...I may have to borrow it again sometime.

Good deal!! Thanks for sharing with us. But I think you need to get one for yourself. Think how much fun it would be to be using the same rifle/caliber as you two hunt together.

Believe me, I want to buy one for myself and will! I bought my daughter's Handi Rifle after coming on this forum and asking for advice on the caliber for her first rifle. A lot of members recommended the .357 magnum. I already own a .357 pistol so I thought that would be kinda neat to have a rifle and a pistol that would shoot the same caliber. I bought the rifle after calling all around my area and finally finding one. I topped it with a Simmons Pro Dimond shotgun scope that I had. It turned out to be perfect because the diamond reticle is really easy for my Daughter to get on target with. She hunted with it last year and never got a shot. I asked her this year if I could use it. She said I really wanted to be the first person to kill something with it. ;D I laughed and said "Well, I can understand that!" This year she killed her first deer with it. I posted the story here. I took it yesterday because it was the first time she couldn't go with me and I  really wanted to try it for myself. If they still offered it I would buy one today. I'm thinking maybe I'll get a 7mm-08 and have a .357 barrel mated to it if they still have any.

Offline carp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 06:25:15 AM »
What kind of load were you using?  It obviously did the job, we just don't know what "it" was!  ;)

Sorry I left that out. It was a 180 grain Cor-Bon bullet. I'm not a handloader. It was recommended by some members here and it did the trick.

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 07:01:56 AM »

I know what is like tring to get a rifle you want, I ended up driving over half
 across Oklahoma to get my handi 357, I reamed it to Maxie, equiped with 4X
 Simmons shotgun scope. Love that little bugger. I shoot hand loads all the way
 from 140 gr to 180 gr pushed by ample dose of h-110. Congrats to the Little
 lady on her first deer. Also you! good luck Marv.

Offline old geezer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 12:48:08 PM »
Great story.  I carry a Marlin in 357, but haven't scored yet.  I ordered a 357 barrel for my grand daughters Handi, waiting for it to come in.  Lady told me last week when I called and checked, it'd be a couple more weeks.  Should have it in and sighted and ready to go for her to hunt over the Christmas break.  Here's hoping.

Offline SourMash

• BTO
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 07:15:22 AM »
Excellent story.  Congrats to the both of ya's! ;D
I've got a 357 Handi, but just punched paper with it so far.