Author Topic: My Handi Hornet w) New Stock (picture)  (Read 1680 times)

Offline just bill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
My Handi Hornet w) New Stock (picture)
« on: December 23, 2006, 02:39:22 AM »
Guess what they found for me way back in the corner at H & R?  One last "Hornet stock"(black & yellow) from a limeted run prior...............just what I wanted  :)

Here is a quick photo

Did the same two O ring and foam forend pad that worked like a charm before.  Off to the range now to re-zero and tweek the torque.  Tighten'ed my action a bit too as I had to tap the new forend in place.

For those asking about hornet shell holders.  I just use a rim mag one found commonly at gun shops......it works.

just bill / formally Woodchuck Snipe.......email change/re-register

Offline fuzzy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
Re: My Handi Hornet w) New Stock (picture)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 02:56:27 AM »
Those are NICE you lucky dog. Who do you know at H&R lol
I rather be over the hill than in it

Offline tuxdad

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 03:57:10 AM »
II'd like to know where you got the heavy barrel for your hornet ???? ???

I have the tapered barrel, and would LOVE a heavy barreled hornet !! ;D

Tux

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 04:09:17 AM »
That is one sweet looking set up Bill!  Give us some more details about the scope and sling please. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline SourMash

• Trade Count: (1)
    • BTO
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 04:49:13 AM »
Very nice rifle. I'm not crazy 'bout the yellow stock, but would prolly use one, too, iffn I found one for my Hornet...just suits the caliber right. :)

How's it shoot?  It's hard to beat the 22 Hornet Handi. ;)

Offline Beers

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 05:07:42 AM »
Very nice! I'm generally not a fan of laminates, but I like the looks of that...The heavy barrel does alot for the looks too. I don't see a bull barrel listed in 22 hornet on NEF's page, where'd ya find that?

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 07:19:58 AM »
AAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGG I WANT IT BAD,,,,,, WAS THAT THE LAST ONE THE HAVE , HOW IN THE WORLD DID YU EVEN KNOW IT EXSISTED? :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

hey tim should i tell them about the heavy barreled hornets???? arggggggggggg :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline tuxdad

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 07:28:20 AM »
C'mon dude share the wealth !! ;D

After all it's the time for giving  ;)!!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 08:17:33 AM »
SWEET  ;)
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 08:23:50 AM »
Welcome aboard, just bill!! Nice stock set ya got there, it's nice to have some of the unavailable stocks, I know, I have my share of em, much to everyone's envy!! ;D

Shaner, I was gonna spill the beans, but I thought I'd give you a chance first since you know the BB Hornet skinny!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 09:04:23 AM »
OK tell us, was that .22 Hornet once a rimfire? Or even better do you have a secret supplier you are going to tell us all about....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 09:10:09 AM »
He's had his chance, he's playing in the chat room....Shaner got his BB hornet from H&R, they just by chance happened to have one when he called em, probably just as bill did with the stock.

That may not be a bull barrel, the angle of the photo may just look like it, but if they made one, you'd think they made more.

Tim

Offline tuxdad

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 09:28:14 AM »
I don't know quick, that sure looks like a bull barrel to me...

I'll be giving H&R a call after the holidays for sure now.... ;)

Btw, is the price the same for the bull barrel??

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 09:31:45 AM »
There is no bull barrel Hornet available now, Shaner's is the only one that I know of, he's had it for a long time.

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 09:51:06 AM »
Here's my standard contour Hornet from a similar angle.

Tim

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2006, 09:59:18 AM »
Big welcome to G.B.O. just bill.Looks good,the colors just fit the hornet!!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline tuxdad

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2006, 10:25:02 AM »
I can see the tapering in your barrel quick, but nothing in bill's...

Offline cowboyup453

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (82)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2006, 10:37:02 AM »

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2006, 11:19:39 AM »
ok iam back ,i got my 24"bull barrel, i had that old model 22/250, they wouldnt replace the old style 22/250 because they  had a bad headspace problem , so she told me i could pick any offered cal to replace it, i told her i had all the other cal's i wanted, i said i wished  they made a bull hornet and she said let me check,  came back an said we have 24in bulls ,i said ill take one , got in back in a week or so ,that was back in the mid 90's ,  and it still shoots great that my story an iam stickin to it

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2006, 11:35:51 AM »
When just bill comes back, he can measure it for us. Lots of folks here think they have bull barrels because of the heavy contour H&R uses on their barrels, but they just don't know that. ;) You'll see lots of bull barrels mentioned on ebay, but half the time they aren't cuz we know they don't make em!! Shaner's Hornet is the one exception, and you'll notice his is also a 24" barrel, not the usual 22"!!!

Tim

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2006, 01:44:41 PM »
Wow what a nice looking find, Congrats!

John

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2006, 01:51:15 PM »

got in back in a week or so ,that was back in the mid 90's

It's too bad they still don't offer it today :-[

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2006, 03:56:41 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  In answer to the question.  It a standard heavy contour barrel, 5/8" at the muzzle.  The photo does not show the contour well.

Took it out this afternoon and punch about 75 rounds through paper,re-zeroing,playing etc.  It really likes the Winny 46 gr hp's and was putting groups of 5 in a quarter and 3's in a dime at 100 in less than ideal conditions from caldwell bags and a wooden bench.  The scope is just a Bushnell Banner 4-12x40 on a Weaver rail.  It shoots well enough at the bench to deserve better quality and higher power glass but for field hunting use the current scope is fine.  The trigger and everything is stock, trigger was fine for field. Just swaped stocks and did the same double O ring and foam pressure pad trick to bed the forearm.  The stock really looks cool for the caliber in natural lite.  I had called H&R last summer in regards to stocks when they brought up the fact they used to have a black/yellow "hornet" stock but were out.  Couple weeks ago I called again thinking of ordering another one, and when I brought up the black & yellow that I really wanted, this nice lady says "I think there is one left way in the back, give me your number and I will call you back if I find it".     Well............sure enough the next day she called and had found one  :).  I bought it on the spot.........what great extra service  :)  The sling is a "claw sling" for the guy who asked.  I luv them and have one on another rifle too.

Question for you Hornet shooters.  Between the 46 grain soft point bullets and the same in hollow point which one tends to fragment more?

Quickdtoo,  is yours floated at the forend with washers on the stud?  Looks it.  What size glass is on yours?............nice looking Handi Hornet.........and as I remember it shoots great.

Thanks,

bill 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2006, 04:09:21 PM »
Thanks for the field report, Bill, that Hornet shoots as good as it looks!! And to think the previous Hornet thread has some folks looking elsewhere!! ::)

Can't help ya with the factory ammo, mine only sees 35gr Vmaxes in handloads at about 2900fps.

5/8" =.625" which is a standard contour Handi barrel, which range from about 620" to about .700", even in the same caliber, barrels vary a bit in diameter, mine is .650".

Tim

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2006, 04:23:16 PM »
What about getting a heavy (Bull Barrel) .22 Mag barrel and having Wayne York rechamber it to .22 Hornet? The .22 Hornet has a 1:12 rifling and the .22 rimfires have 1:16, would that only stabilize the lighter bullets. 30-35 grain and such? They do make 40 & 50 grain .22 Mag bullets and my buddies Sportster in .22 Mag shoots the 50 grainers great....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2006, 04:41:14 PM »
That would be a $300+ barrel MSP! :o I don't think a bull barrel is necessary in a Hornet, mine will put 10 shots in less than an inch as quick as I can shoot em and a good share of em are inside ½", 12-13gr of powder just doesn't heat the barrel much and the standard contour is already heavy compared to other brand contours. ;)

Tim

Offline gould

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2006, 03:49:03 AM »
If anyone wants the hornet stocks Prisision rifle works has a few on a first come first serve. If tou go to rimfire central look at there sponsers you will find them. Then go to there forum and look under H&R,NEF you will see them. I think they are $145.00. There phone number and e-mail is there also.

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2006, 04:27:44 AM »
I have the same stock on one of my .223's. I found mine in my favorite gunshop. As soon as I walked in the door, my friend, the owner, told me to look what some guy had just traded in. It appeared to be new but he had told my friend the rifle was just never used and he had had it for several years. He said he shot maybe one box of ammo through it. I told him it was the ugliest thing I have ever seen ... then 1/2 hour later I was walking out the door with it for $150. If I can recall my memory banks at all, I was thinking this limited run/style was called the Bumble bee. Anyone else ever hear that name before?
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2006, 06:22:27 AM »

Yup..they were called the Bumble Bee stocks...and most had black & yellow laminations...These appear to me to be gray & yellow...and much more subdued in the brightness of the yellow...and would fit nicely within the "special order" status..Various distributors have called in orders of 500 units (the minimum number) and had all kinds of diffierent stock/barrel configurations...and it isn't limited to just the centerfire rifle either...I had one of the first 12ga Topper Deluxe Classics out ( for a brief time)..It was 1 of the  500  made for Fauntleroy Sporting Goods..and I've heard of the rim fires as well being special ordered ...So...they are out there...and we just have to look harder for them...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2007, 05:16:55 AM »
Bill what brand of ammo sling is on your stock.
The second mouse gets the cheese