Author Topic: Field Test - 22 Hornet superlight  (Read 797 times)

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Field Test - 22 Hornet superlight
« on: December 31, 2006, 03:37:24 PM »
Bottom line -- I LIKE IT.
I was off last week visiting my folks or Christmas as a side benifit I was able to get a couple of days of Rabbit and Predator hunting in we had one great day and an OK day. So first blood was a coyote I would like to say it was a perfectly duped call in but no it was a target of oppritunity. We kicked it out of a grassy ditch, I anhcored it with one shot running at 75 yards but my cousin put another round into it for insurance.

The other game on the menu was jackrabbits not to put it in perspective when I moved away from the area the fox population plummeted and the rabbit population boomed actually KA-boomed. so I have been hearing about these incredible hunts and we found an incredible farm. We did not break the single day record (75) but we did break the single farm record which is now 48 and considering it was the first time a field with the hornet it could have been a fair bit higher I only accounted for 15 of them.

The ammo I was using was Winy 46 gr HP's It killed the rabbits without esseccive meat loss especially compared to my cousins 22-250 but the load is sensitive to the wind so I was having trouble connecting past 125.  but really with that stubby bullet it's not surprising. The gun itself was a joy to haul around it is light as feather and on those long slogs it was plesant company.

Before summer I will replace the scope which was borrwed from a 22 and send it out to be converted to K-hornet the velocity gain with bigger better bc's bullets is too hard to pass up for 50$ worth of gunsmithing.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline 10ga.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Field Test - 22 Hornet superlight
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 04:32:19 PM »
Where did this take place and how big are those rabbits :o. They look huge in the photo.
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 04:44:32 PM »
Just south of Winnipeg Manitoba,  Yes compared to other rabbits they are big. A typical adult will run around 8lbs, I forgot to get a picture of a single one beside the Handi for perspective. 
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 05:00:35 PM »
It would seem that you have a keeper there , nice shooting

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline TxRattler

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 04:22:28 AM »
I love my handi Hornet.  I anchored this guy at a meer 15 yds (2005) with a shot to the neck. He went straight down.  and yes the Hornet is legal in Texas.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 04:27:22 AM »
WOW!!! And I thought a 8 pound rabbit was big!!!!!....<><.... :)

As an afterthought, .22 Mags are legal for deer hunting in Maine but I don't know of anyone who has ever used one. I guess that makes my .22 Hornet legal for deer in Maine also. A lot of night time illegal "jacked" deer have fallen to .22 LR's in Maine many years ago, and possibly more recently also
(but I hope not)....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley