Author Topic: I think I saw someone with a 19 inch 280 on here.  (Read 558 times)

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
I think I saw someone with a 19 inch 280 on here.
« on: January 07, 2007, 10:24:19 AM »
If I am not mistaken I saw someone had a 19 inch 280 barrel. If so how do you like it and how does it shot. If you shot factory ammo in it what do you use. I am stuck on haveing a barrel cut to 18 1/2 but 19 would also work being its only a 1/2 inch longer. I was thinkig about have it done to a 30-06 but I sure would love to have one of those 280.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: I think I saw someone with a 19 inch 280 on here.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 10:25:39 AM »
That would be MSP Ret's!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline holahead

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 10:31:15 AM »
Yep thats here it was Thanks Tim (The Handi Man) If you do not mind MSP Ret could you give me a little info on it Thanks

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 11:16:47 AM »
Hi buddy, that is my "Thunderboomer". I bought the barrel from lik2hunt a couple of years ago, he bought it for the stock and action and did not need the barrel. All I did to it was get it and have it recrowned. At the 19" length that it is the bore does not appear to be exactly centered in the barrel!!! It is only off a few thousandts of a inch but I was worried. My gunsmith said not to worry, to shoot it first, he said he has seen worse and not just on H&R's but many brands. He told me to shoot it and see. Well it shoots great!!! I have been shooting it with Remington Factory 140 grain ammo I bought on sale for $5.00 a box!!! (I bought about 16 boxes, all they had). I have it sighted in for 1" high at 100 yards. My shots in Maine average about 40 or 50 yards, most times you cannot see that far, but on occasion you can see 200. I am now set for a dead center point of aim as near or far as I will ever shoot at a deer in Maine. I used it this year with a Survivor stock and storearm forearm and sling with a red dot mounted, what a handi Handi. It makes a great truck gun with plenty of punch and it can reach out if needed but is also handy in the thick swamps and and so-called "greengrowth" in Maine. The last inch or so of the barrel is in the white with bluing removed, I got it that way from lik2hunt and he got it that way, we may never know why but it shoots great, is real handy, a nice truck gun and a great deer gun, what more could you ask. I currently have it set up with a set of plain wood Monte Carlo Handi stocks for possible use on stand for coyotes. I would not hesitate to take a shot on a coyote out to 150-200 yards with the Simmons red dot I have on it now but I may replace the red dot with a scope and try to wring out that last bit of accuracy I can from it for long shots on coyotes but for deer in the woods the red dot is the best and fastest handling setup that I have found....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline holahead

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 12:21:36 PM »
Thank you sir for the response. Just one more question if you do not mind. Using the Remington 140gr do you think I will be all right out to say about 150 yards on whitetail deer (most times around 80- 150 pounds with maybe every once in a while up to a 180 pounds) most of the shots would be more likley 50-80 yards.  Again Thanks

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 03:17:09 PM »
The .280 with 140 grain bullets and heavier bullets will do an outstanding job on much larger game and to a longer distance. My biggest deer is a 21" inside spread 8 point that dressed out at 201 lbs. I got him with my old favorite .35 Remington out of my old 336 Marlin years ago and the .280 is a much more powerful cartridge which holds it's energy out to a much longer distance with much less bullet drop.  The .280, especially with that nice 26" barrel of the H&R will do fine for large deer, Moose and even Elk and out to 200 yards at least, possibly further. For up to large deer I would use the 140 grain bullets and for Moose and Elk I would go to a heavier stronger constructed bullet, The cartridge is well up to the task. The .280 is one of the unsung heroes of the Handi line-up....you have a winner there, congratulations....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline holahead

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 03:41:41 PM »
Thank you MSP Ret for help. I don't have a 280 yet but I am getting a new handi around the next few weeks and I can not make my mind up on to get a 280 or 30-06. What ever I get I am going to have the barrel cut down so I want to get the one that will work the best with a short barrel. I am leaning toward getting a 30-06 to have cut down cause I really want that 280 with the 26 inch barrel. I might as well save up a few dollars and get both.  (That would work) ;)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 04:27:03 PM »
They are both great guns and great calibers my friend and you will be well served by either. Remember, as long as you get the one you want and like the one you got, you have the right one. Between the 30-06 and the .280 you cannot go wrong. I ashamedly have one of each (at least)....<><.... :-[ ;D

read this thread:

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,108241.0.html

your on the right track, leave the .280 at 26", I have a 19" .280 and it is a great gun, but I bought it short, if I were going to shorten some H&R for thick woods hunting it would probably be a 45-70. I do like my "Thunderboomer" though, it is one of a kind and it works for me....<><.... :)

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 07:37:45 PM »
.... What ever I get I am going to have the barrel cut down so I want to get the one that will work the best with a short barrel. I am leaning toward getting a 30-06 to have cut down cause I really want that 280 with the 26 inch barrel. I might as well save up a few dollars and get both.  (That would work) ;)

You might consider a 308 as well. It doesn't lend much to the -06 and is availible in a 22" Bull Barrel.
I believe too many give up on the 308 too soon and consider it a 30-30 bastard child....nothing is futher from the truth. It's an excellent performer and can hold it's own still even among the new BR crowd.

-Aaron