Author Topic: ticks bad this year  (Read 840 times)

Offline wipartimer

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
ticks bad this year
« on: April 22, 2007, 04:51:52 PM »
Is it just me or are the ticks worse than ever this year? I picked 10 off me after 4 hours in the woods today. every trip to the woods this spring has been similar.
Mike

How can one truly understand nature without participating?

Offline 379 Peterbilt

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: ticks bad this year
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 02:51:47 AM »
You aint kiddin' about the ticks. In recent years they have been very prevelant. I sat in the woods for a few hours the other day and literaly watched them crawl up my legs. I was able to flick most of them off with my fingers, much like flinging a booger. But a couple still made their way inside my clothing. They are sure some tiny little buggers at this time of year.

If I had a nickle for every tick I pulled off my lab in the last few years, I might be a bazillionare.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 11:20:53 AM »
I found a bunch turkey hunting last weekend.  All were those nasty deer ticks, those little ones you were talking about.  None were able to sink home though.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 11:42:51 AM »
You fellas would be wise to treat your clothing with Permethrin so they don't get on ya, it makes em drop off almost immediately. I've been using it for several years now, have not had one tick on me, although I've seen numerous crawlers on my legs just fall off in a matter of seconds after they snagged a ride. My buddy used to get em all the time too, but since he started treating his outer clothing, no ticks.

Tim

http://www.dph.state.ct.us/BCH/infectiousdise/tickborne/tick.htm

http://www.permethrin-repellent.com/permethrin1.htm

http://infectiousdiseases.about.com/od/prevention/p/permethrin.htm

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline buck460XVR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 01:48:19 PM »
yep....they're pretty thick right now. Picked a couple off me today just working in the backyard. Thank god turkeys can't smell, cause I usually douse myself pretty heavy with repellent when hunting. Little buggers are the  reason I gave up bow hunting early in the season. One bout with Lymes was enough for me....
"where'd you get the gun....son?"