Author Topic: .444 Marlin & 45 Colt Carbine Barrels are here!!  (Read 1649 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
.444 Marlin & 45 Colt Carbine Barrels are here!!
« on: May 04, 2007, 01:32:10 PM »
First of all, kudos to H&R/Marlin for getting these barrels back to me in record time considering both are new production offerings, they received my frame on March 12, got them today, that's 50 days until they shipped them, would have been a few days sooner, but they had to do some test firing of factory ammo which took a few days extra. They shot 240gr Rem, 265gr Hornady Light Mags and Leverevolution ammo in the .444  at 100yds, all three performed consistently with 1½-1¾" groups, not bad for out of the box performance under factory conditions, I'm sure with fine tuned handloads after break-in, it will be a sub MOA shooter.

Bores are very smooth, so smooth that I think I'll forgo the usual flitz treatment!! :D I cleaned both barrels, got none of the usual fuzz residue from patches in the bore. Slugged the 45 Colt barrel at the muzzle, using a digital caliper I got .4525" in the grooves and .4465" at the lands, bore is a little on the large side, but not too bad I don't think, don't know what the SAAMI spec is. Slug measured .452" and .446" at the throat end, so the muzzle is .0005" more open than the throat end, to be expected I suppose considering the barrels are bored then shaped, not custom barrel quality, but hopefully very serviceable. :'(

.444 barrel had a similar difference, .4305" in the groove and .425" lands at the muzzle, .430" groove and .4245" lands near the throat, again, .0005" larger at the muzzle.

Lock up on both barrels is perfect, very solid, tight on .001" blade, no complaint there at all.

Throat on the .444 is good, not too long at all, COL to the lands is 2.606" with the 265gr Hornady FP, recommended COL is 2.55", so not bad at all compared to most Handi throats, and much better than the short throat of the 45-70. I had some 265gr Hornadys all loaded up, seated to the lower cannelure, they're too long to chamber that way, had to seat the bullet to the upper cannelure to chamber them.

Don't have any .45 Colt bullets yet, will have to pick up some.

Range report to follow in the next week or two, turkey season is still open, ya know!! ;D

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gomerdog

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Re: .444 Marlin & 45 Colt Carbine Barrels are here!!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 01:44:33 PM »
Very nice, indeed. Congrats on both. We're waiting with baited breath for the range report. Have some fun!
"Endeavor to persevere..." Chief Dan George from The Outlaw Josie Wales

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 02:00:58 PM »
 Congrats Tim, H&R just would not listen to stimpy and I to ship
 your barrels to us, so we could get you to the P. d. shoot.
 Maybe next time, waiting for range report.
 At least those barrels are not over grown as my 44 mag.
 Good luck Tim .   Marv.

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 03:32:59 PM »
Thats great Tim! Will be looking for a range report.  ;D

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 07:21:20 PM »
Tim I am happy they made it to your house than Stimpies although I am sure he would have made good use out of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D I would hope you would provide us with a detailed range report as always. I will have a few range reports coming as soon as I can scope the other barrels that I bought recently. The scopes cost more than the barrels. LOL  ;D ::)
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 12:36:30 AM »
Excellent, Quick.  Congratulations!  Keep us posted.  :)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 03:34:13 AM »
Tim

I just knew that shipping would screw up and send them to the wrong address , have fun with them my friend .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 05:09:43 AM »
Looks like Henry1 is the winner. He picked May 5th. Good guess Henry. ;D Tim after turkey season is over we are looking for that range report. Good luck with it.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline dinger

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 02:01:49 PM »

Hey, quick, glad to hear your tubes came back so soon. thanks for the report on the specs for the .45 colt, as i've been frettin' over ordering a carbine a while back. sounds like it should be a fair to midlin' shooter after all ! would i be correct in thinkin' these barrels are extractors? thanks,dinger

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 02:03:36 PM »
Yes, they're extractors.

Thx,

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain