Author Topic: Ground hog hunting with the 204 ( 243 ) Ultra Varmint fluted.  (Read 6098 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Hey guys. I live in a very rural area of PA. Lots of farms. My daughter and I went out Sunday and knocked on some farmers doors. I asked if I could hunt their Groundhogs. I stopped at 3 farms and got 3 ok's. They pointed out where to shoot and where not to. They all said they have a bunch and don't have time to shoot them all. This is where the fun begins. The first cut of the fields is taking place this week. I now have at least 2,000 acre's of Ground hogs to hunt. Stimpy has done this on the Ohio forum but how about we keep track of how many of these little buggers we kill with( Handi Rifles) this summer here. I my self will be going every weekend and every evening I can after work this summer. So if you get one let us know. At the end of the summer we can find out who got the most. Sounds like fun to me. How about you?
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Roudy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Ground hog hunting with the 204 Ultra Varmint fluted.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 06:08:36 PM »
Dale,
  I'm not sure how things are in PA but in Indiana they grow a lot of soy beans.  About this time of year the soy beans are just popping out of the ground and groundhogs just seem to love those tender little bean shoots.  Never had trouble getting permission from farmers to hunt groundhogs, was told by one farmer friend that a groundhog can destroy about an acre of soy beans, that's 50-60 bushels...lots of dollars. 

If you find a field of soy beans just park yourself near a corner of a woods and the bean field, or a creek and 'they will come'.

Good luck,

Roudy

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 06:45:02 PM »
Thanks that is good to know. I really have never hunted them so that is some great info. I know of one farmer that motioned Soy Beans though. If you guys have any other tips that would be great. I just plan on pulling my truck into a fresh cut field and start looking for the little crittres. I heard they also like to hang out around fence lines and wood lines.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 06:12:43 AM »
I am from Indiana too. Ground hogs are what we shoot here as varmint hunters. No PD's in Indiana darn it. :( A guy can shoot more PD's in an afternoon than I can shoot ground hogs in a whole season. I stalk hunt them. Walk a little ways and survey the area. Then walk 100 yd or so and do the same. If I see one, I just set up and shoot 'em. If I spook one down a hole, I move to a different place with a good vantage point over the hole and set up. In about 15 minutes give or take a few, they come out of the hole and look where you where. I then pop'em sniper style. :D The yardages are not real far, mostly because where I hunt them is small rolling fields with brushy fence rows and lots of small wood lots. Range is rarely over 200 yards. BTW while I have seen holes any where including the middle of a field, the place they seem to like best is in a dirt bank. A steep hill side, drainage ditch bank, ect. Another good spot is in a brushy fence row. I have seen where they mow down a large semi-circle at the edge of a bean field where their hole is. If they get some hunting pressure they get a lot more wary, so do not miss. ;D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline motordog80

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 06:32:33 AM »
My personal record is 35 hogs in one year. Round here you start out with the bean fields till the beans get to tall to see thru then you start watching hay fields and grazing land.

Offline Inrut24/7

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 07:40:18 AM »
My record was in the summer of 01 when i shot 137 here in PA with the 223 ultra varmint. that was also a summer when i was layed off work,I might not ever get a chance to shoot that many again :'( I hunt them by walking the fence rows or dirt roads untill i see one, or sit in a hay field and watch holes, i like sitting and watching more than walking when it gets hot out, also if there is an evening shower get to the fields because there is always alot more that come out after an evening rain. ;)

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 08:00:18 AM »
Are you guys using bipods? If so what size and type. I just bought a 13 to 26 inch harris bipod. I have not had a chance to shoot off it yet.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 08:38:21 AM »
I use the same bi-pod. I also have a Pole Cat (a tall bi - pod that you can use as a walking stick) I use when the grass and weeds get high.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 10:51:38 AM »
Have posted a little more info. I know that there several folks on this site that use home made shooting sticks. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think they rest the frame on the sticks. People have had mixed results using bi-pods with Handy rifles. It will take a little spear mittin' to find out what works best for you. :-\  All of the information previuosly posted I have to agree with (even from PA), good advice. Also when I said that 'hogs like to buoro into dirt banks, that includes ditches along roads, bank barn hills, and railroad right of ways. Just be careful about laws when shooting from roadway right of ways and such. I knew a guy that said he shot 150+ ground hogs one year. He was paroling back roads and shooting them from his truck. He would cruise slowly down a road; when he saw one he would stop and stick the gun out the window using the window sill with a towel as a rest. He would have been in big trouble if he had got caught. :( You can not shoot from a road right of way or shoot over a road right of way, at least in Indiana.

Offline Inrut24/7

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 11:05:30 AM »
I to use harris bypods and with no accuracy problems what so ever. I somtimes take my mono pod instead and it can be a real challenge for far shots.

Offline flitz

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 12:53:22 PM »
dale

go to varmit als site.he has a set of plans for shooting sticks.mine came out
great.camoed one side in green the other side snow camo.

flitz
TO THE HUNT

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 12:55:13 PM »
Here's Varmint Al's bipod page..

http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 01:12:24 PM »
well looks like iam the first ohio boy to ring in , we shoot off anything we can find, truck  hoods ,  car doors yu name it,  lot of fence posts,   2yrs ago i shot73  confirmed kills,  we went at it hard, my 3-5 times a week,  on 4wheeler usin anything we had,  lot of ridin and shootin with the 357 and 22hornet off the handle bars of the 4wheeler, 

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 01:16:10 PM »
Thanks guys.The sticks are pretty neat and simple to build and use. :D

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 03:19:15 PM »
I can't let Shaner and Stimpy be the only Ohio boys to chime in.  I've had pretty good luck sitting in beanfields, stalking fencerows, edges of woods, and along railroad tracks.  I can't compete with the numbers that some of these guys get...I have to spend some time shooting some winged rats too(barn pigeons).  I've used .223, 22-250, 22lr, and .308.  I have a 7mm-08 to try this year.  I've drove through PA a few times, and it amazes me how many g-hogs are in fields.  One field I saw had 5-6 HUGE hogs in it.  I like to use shooting sticks over a bipod.  It makes it alot lighter to tote around, and I think it's easier to use as well.  I take a couple of 5/8" dowel rods, or was it 3/4"?  Bolt them together with a 1/4"bolt with a wingnut, and then take those rubber end caps for a table leg and put it on each end of the legs.  I bolt the two together about foot down, so that the tall end works when sitting, and the short end works for the prone.  I'll let you know how good I do on the hogs when I go one leave in a week and a half.

~~~Amos
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 03:14:23 AM »
I am good for about 50 a year, thats plenty enough for me these days.  I don't shoot them all with "Handi rifles" only but have neen using the Handi Hornet some the last year.

One note on the .204 caliber.  Basically, it's very loud and some of your new farms may not appreciate the loud muzzle blast as in the summer, windows are open,people outside,etc.  I would seriously consider going the walking woodchuck route rather than the long distance having played both games allot.  Make a pair of shooting sticks and take to field a 22 Hornet or Rimfire Magnum.  Those calibers keep you in the fields.  You will likely find if you start hunting certain farms on a regular basis that, the owners are not going to feel comfortable with that high powered rifle big boom out on the back acerage, when they are out and about during spring & summer.

The walking game is more challenging and you get more action to boot.  It's not real sporting shooting woodchucks inside 250 yards with a .204,22-250,.243 etc from prone with a bi-pod or bag and by far most your shots will be inside 200 unless you want to set up your location for long distance and wait,wait,wait.

If you hit a farm hard in a season or two, you will want to skip it the next two season and rotate or you will wipe out the woodchucks in that area. To hunt woodchucks avidly year after year as I do, you will need to continue gaining access to new farms on a regular basis and let some shots pass or you whipe them out.  You learn to "manage" the fields and enjoy the outdoors to keep it going rather than look for big numbers in a season and then have nothing the next year or two.

The most challenging shots to make are standing off hand at 75-100 yards.  That shot is harder than the 400-500 yard from prone with bi-pod & rear bag,big scope,heavy barrel laser stick,hot rod caliber and laser range finder.     

Shooting from sticks sitting out to 150 yards (head shots) with a rim magnum (I luv my 17hmr for such on chucks with TN'T ammo) or simular with a 22 Hornet on upper body shots, along with walking a hedge row looking for jump shots from standing is the most enjoyable way to hunt woodchucks and the farm owners feel much more comfortable with the low muzzle blast.

You don't need a laser range finder and all that stuff.  Just grid it off as you pace the field and make note.

This and a rim mag or hornet is all you need.  I made my sticks from Varmint Al's site and there is a photo of them there also.

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 03:25:27 AM »
I have hunted a series of connected fields in Central New York since 1964.  There are probably 300 acres.  Back then there were easily 20 to 30 chucks visible during a summer evening hunt.  We could hunt the field all summer without making a noticeable dent in the population, and I never saw another hunter in the fields.  There was a drainage ditch in the middle of a field that was a perfect breeding ground for the chucks.  Sometime around 1990 the farmer eliminated the ditch and the population dropped.  Then the coyotes moved into the area.  During the last 5 years I have only seen 1 chuck there, but 2 coyotes.  I shot right over 1, and couldn't get a shot at the other since I was talking with the farmer at the time.  He confirmed that the chuck population has drastically dropped.  A couple of weeks ago I visited the field and was pleased to find evidence of several active chuck dens.  It may be hard to believe, but there is actually a season for coyotes in New York, because they are classified as furbearers.

I have an older Topper .22 Hornet with the full length forend that I acquired at last month's gun show in Syracuse.  I haven't shot it yet, but have a box of Remington 45 grain ammo and some of my old handloads (from a Ruger #3 that I used to own).  That should make a good walking rifle.  I probably paid too much for it, but it looked too nice to pass up!  Does anybody have any idea of what it is worth?

I also have a Target Rifle in .38-55 and a 20 ga. Ultra Slug.

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
    • EastOutfitters
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 05:09:22 AM »
Just Bill, what's the spoon for?
"skin that 'en out and I'll get ye nother"

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 05:29:07 AM »
woodchukhntr

Welcome to GBO and the crazy world of H&Rs , an older Topper with the Manlicker stock will sell in Ohio for around the price of a new rifle just because of the stock set , somewere in the $220 to $260 range . they are getting very hard to find as H&R don't make them anymore , the stocks that is .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 10:31:03 AM »
What is the spoon for?...THE CARRYING CLIP BROKE.... I didn't have a lot of time to build a new one, so I used an old stainless steel spoon.  I know it looks funny and needs a coat of paint to cover the shine, but it works great! . The clip is to carry it on your belt when not in use. ;D

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 11:19:34 AM »
I made a set of varmit als shooting sticks last fall,work so well I don't leave home without it.Easy and cheap to make too.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 02:09:44 PM »
 to DALESCARPENTRY...PM sent

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 03:05:28 PM »
Never received pm.

Offline Roudy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 03:57:22 PM »
I just made a set of shooting sticks based on the mentioned web site this afternoon.  Didn't take much time at all.  I did made the version that forms a tripod, much steadier than the bipod.  I may have to make a couple more sets for my son and grandson!

Roudy

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 04:25:52 PM »
Just Bill, what's the spoon for?

It's a clip for my fanny pack.  Flatened it out with a pair of sheet metal tongs.  I would skip it next time as I don't ever use.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 03:20:31 PM »
Yesterday and today on the way home from work I stopped at a couple fields. When I got to the first one I was there maybe 10 minutes when I saw a nice one at about 200 yards down along the edge of the field by the creek. I shot him in the head and the eyeball popped out. Then today on my way home I hit that same field again. There is a groundhog there that is really big and I have not been able to shoot him yet. He hangs out near the corner of the field and when I pull in the road at the field I have seen him a few times but by the time I get my gun out he has already high tailed it into the high weeds or gone into his hole. So then I headed to another field after I left there I drove to a place I could see the borders of some other fields seeing as most times they like the edges. I thought I was prarie dog hunting for a minute. When I looked through the glass at one edge I saw three that were about 300 yards. They were young ones. They weren't that big. I chose the one that was the closest to me and I held about four inches high and squeezed the trigger and he dropped right there. The other two ran off. I will be back for the other two tomorrow. I will let you know if I get them.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
Re: Ground hog hunting with the 204 Ultra Varmint fluted-with pic.
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2007, 03:40:51 PM »
Last year I killed two groundhogs at 185 yards with one shot. The year before I shot one at the same distance off the very top of the fence post he was sitting on--------------5 feet off the ground!!!!!!! Best record I have is 11 kills in one evening.

Mc

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2007, 03:50:43 PM »
Good shooting Mc. ;D

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2007, 04:57:18 PM »
Nice job, Dale.

I have found that even if you spook them, they seem to eventually come back out.  Sometimes within 15 minutes or so.  Just don't move around a great deal and be aware of other holes.  I like to walk around the field every now and again to keep up on the locations of their burrows. 

Happy Huntin' 

:D

Offline 300winny

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2007, 03:00:30 PM »
Hey there guys,  hey EVOC, heres how i hunt them, on fields where there are lots of dips like the one ive hunted recently ill sit for like a haf hour and then ill make a round around the field sit in a different spot and so on, there are other fields where i can sit and see them all the way out to bout 600 yds and in that case i just stay in one spot. And as far as them coming back out this is no BS. My buddy and i were hunting them last year and i had a 300 win mag and he was using his 22-250 and we shot probably 15 rounds a piece at this one ground hog he was 500 paces out and i had just got my winny so i wasnt quite used to it yet, and i couldnt believe he just kept comin out id shoot then my buddy would shoot and i kept shootin right over top of his head this went on for probably a half hour I think it was the most fun  ive had so far in 7 yrs hunting those things its always better with a with a buddy