Author Topic: 223 Throat depth  (Read 649 times)

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
223 Throat depth
« on: May 17, 2007, 05:14:03 PM »
Anyone have info on how deep the throats are on the 223 bull barrels.  Mine seems to have an real deep throat.  A 68 gr.  BTHP just barely hand pushed in the case does not engage the rifling.  Is this normal or do I have a problem with this barrel?

I have gotten it to shoot about 1" to 1-1/2 groups without trying to hard.

Thanks
Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 223 Throat depth
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 06:07:20 PM »
Unfortunately ALL H&R 223 barrels have long throats, you won't reach the lands with any bullet that will shoot accurately out of one. :'(

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline RugerNo3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 07:02:08 PM »
This is the standard procedure to make sure hand loaders don't get carried away in the pressure range the gun can safely handle. The more critical point as relates to accuracy is the diameter of the throat in relation to bullet diameter. Within a .0005" clearance or less, you'll get good accuracy, so not to worry. If you want the best performance from any rifle get a barrel set up with the chamber cut to the load you will be using. Load the bullet case combination with the bullet one diameter in depth in the neck, not counting the boat tail length, and vary the propulsion components(powder & primer) to get the accuracy. Free bore has been used in the Weatherby's since creation and does not relate to producing an accurate load if the bullet diameter to throat diameter is correct as I outlined. You may have a stability problem with the 68gr bullet that is not related to this. It will have to do with the twist and bullet bearing surface in relation to the velocity you can achieve. Get a chamber cast first or blow away a lot of ammo and still not know where you're at. You may just have a good shooter, irregardless. Good luck. A good handloader only makes one change at a time with his load combo.
"Use a big enough gun!"

Offline wcf3030

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 03:46:57 AM »
I've seated my 55gr fmj out as far as I dare, My accuracy has improved.
I've some 75gr Hornady that should be loaded and tested in about a week.
Well see if they touch. ;)

Speaking for myself but with a bull barrel 223 your groups should get better then 1 1 1/2 inch.
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 10:49:41 AM »
Thanks for the info everyone.  I think I will have a good shooter when I find what it likes.  So far it likes 52 grain boattail HP.  Going to try some heavier bullets this weekend.

Thanks
Bobby

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 10:55:57 AM »
By the way wfc3030, I tried a 80 grain bthp just lightly hand set in a case.  It may have barely touched the lands, did not leave a distinct enough mark to say for sure.  But it sticks way out!

Offline digger658

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 11:17:18 AM »
The more critical point as relates to accuracy is the diameter of the throat in relation to bullet diameter. Within a .0005" clearance or less, you'll get good accuracy, so not to worry. If you want the best performance from any rifle get a barrel set up with the chamber cut to the load you will be using. Load the bullet case combination with the bullet one diameter in depth in the neck, not counting the boat tail length, and vary the propulsion components(powder & primer) to get the accuracy

I'm stupid.....What does that mean?
My momma always said "What a difference 24 hrs. makes".

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 12:13:17 PM »
The vast majority of H&R 223 handloaders have found fine accuracy loading to SAAMI COL. When you consider that the gold standard for 223 Handi accuracy has been the now hard to fine/discontinued Winchester White box 45gr JHP, which is loaded to SAAMI COL, trying to reach the lands is pretty much a non issue. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 12:52:32 PM »
I would just about have to weld 2 - 55 grain V-max on top of each other to reach the lands in my Bull Barrel , but can get 1/2" all day long at factory COL so why bother .  ???

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Coastwatcher

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 10:05:38 AM »
My .223 is an older vintage (1990).  The throat is not too deep on it and I can seat most bullets out to touch the lands.  It is no value though because I get better accuracy seating them about .050 off.  Trial and error proven.  Don't know/care why.
My prayers are always answered,  sometimes the answer is no...........