Author Topic: Detailed barrel lug drawing?  (Read 1198 times)

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
Detailed barrel lug drawing?
« on: June 09, 2007, 03:47:03 AM »
Does any one here have a correctly dimensioned drawing of the H&R barrel lug?  I have a machine shop that owes me a favor......
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
Re: Detailed barrel lug drawing?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 05:40:35 AM »
My first thought is it would be cheaper/easier to buy a shotgun barrel and have them cut the lug loose and weld it to whatever you want it on.
I've seen schematic drawings, but nothing like a dimensioned blueprint. (and I've not seen any drawings for the current extractor barrel lug)

Offline eskimo36

• Adventure Rider
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 07:54:34 AM »
I have plenty of barrels to measure and I don't like the idea of cannibalizing perfectly good barrels...so I guess it is time to break out the calipers and dust off my drafting skills of 20+ years ago and go to work.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 11:40:46 PM »
Eskimo,

You might should think about using an existing lug even if a machine shop will make one for you - Shotgun barrels come up very cheap on Ebay constantly. If you can find a beat-up old Topper bbl for 30 or 50 bucks, all you need do is heat it up to break the solder joint and you'd have what you need (And probably without nearly as much of a fitting problem as you would have with a "one-off" custom one. There are dimensioning and tolerancing issues that you may not be aware of, and calipers are not capable of defining them).

Right now I'm sitting in my machine shop. I could make a lug, but it would take me about four hours to do so if all went well (At $90 an hour that I could be using to actually make some money).

With all due respect, I'd save that favor for something else ;D
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline eskimo36

• Adventure Rider
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 02:28:31 AM »
When did the switch occur from soldered lugs to welded or all shotgun barrels soldered?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 05:32:12 AM »
All current production underlugs are welded on, the old H&R shotgun lugs were silver soldered on.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,111227.msg1098339520.html#msg1098339520
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Chilachuck

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 08:08:27 AM »
Well, now. If the lugs are findable, or can be salvaged off old shotgun barrels, and considering the barrels look a lot like the barrel blanks some companies sell...

Might this be a better way to get odd caliber barrels than going the barrel stub route?

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 02:51:48 PM »
A handi barrel needs to be 1.115 inches diameter for at least 3 inches at the breach.  This will prevent you from using most any take off barrel, you will have to start with a new blank.  Some sort of jig will have to be made to hold the barrel and lug in the proper alignment while welding.  Also the barrel needs to have a flat ground where the ejector goes in the lug.  For $40.00 it just seems a lot easier and cost effective to just cut off a barrel.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.