Author Topic: I finnally got to the range  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
I finnally got to the range
« on: June 16, 2007, 07:27:45 PM »

I managed to go shooting yesterday..took along the 308 Optima Elite..my Savage10 FP..and my Winchester HV 223...had a real good afternoon shooting...I don't have my full range report ready,cause I had way too much landscaping to work on.. I just came in from working under flood  lighting on it and need to crash for a few hours...but..I'll get them posted later on today some time...I have a full morning of work ahead of me to try to finish up..and I have to work my full time job tomorrow afternoon...so it might be late..

Everything shot better than I could have hoped for..and all shooting was done at 200 yards this time..The Elite with the 8.5 x 25 Mueller Tactical  scope did as well as the Savage did with the Leupold Tactical 3x9...and the Winchester HV 223 with the Nikon Buck Master 6 x 18x  side focus FD just simply amazed me..so stay tuned..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: I finnally got to the range
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 04:33:54 AM »
Looking forward to it!
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 11:53:26 AM »
I am also looking forward to the report. I really want to hear about the  8.5 x 25 Mueller. I would also like to hear about the Buckmaster. I have been kicking the Buckmaster idea around also. That 6x18 with the side focus really seems sweet. I wonder if you can get it with a milldot recticle? I don't think so though. Anyways glad you did not run into a bunch of idots this time out.    Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 12:02:15 PM »
Unfortunately, it doesn't take a bunch of idiots to ruin it for everyone, only takes one.  ::)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
Range report CVA Elite 308 & others
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 06:10:17 AM »

Well...here's my groups from 6-16..with my Optima Elite 308..and my Winchester HV 223..and my Savage 10FP 308

It was a hot one at the range that afternoon...We didn't get there till almost 2pm..and it was 94 when we started shooting..and 96 when we had to stop..The mirage was terrible..we had real high humidity..and it wasn't one of the best times to shoot..but at least when we started..no-one was at my friends private range..

We shot all at 200 yards..since this is where all the targets we already set..and it was just too hot to go moving them..

First up was my Winney...it is a real jewel..I have it outfitted with a Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40 Side Focus Fine Dot..This is one sweet combo...I don't know why I waited so long to get a 223...dumb I guess..Here it is..

The groups were excellent once we got it on paper...I shot a couple boxes of Federal American Eagle 55 gr. FMG a couple boxes of the Federal L.E.O. TRU 40grainers..and tried some really cheap Russian Bear 62 grain SP...which wouldn't group or even feed properly..they were the steel cases that were lacquered  ..and went everywhere but on the paper..

Here's the Eagle ammo...3 shots went into .365" and the other 2 shots opened it up to .780"...I am in awe of this combo...and can't wait till next month till I have my membership of my own at a BR club I am going to join..

Here's the Federal 40gr.T.R.U. L.E. only ammo..it was pretty good too...

My friend wanted to shoot the Winchester..he didn't bring anything with him..so I let him try them first..This picture has a couple of his groups and mine on it as well..I started to get it zero'd after shooting the Eagle ammo..I didn't know the ballistic data on it..so I figured a 200 yard zero would be ok..He shot the first 2 groups..and got the horizontal dialed in..I started moving it down..The Nikon is a great scope..but even with the tiny dot you can still be off a bit..and it is very easy to be off a little bit when shooting these small bullets.. :-[ My last 3 shots went .430" and the 5 shot group was .990"

Now the Elite..

I shot 2 factory loads with it..I used 2 hunting type ammo..that I thought I would like to hunt with...The 150 gr. Winchester Power Points...and the Hornady 150 gr. SST..

The Winchester went 1st..and I had 1 called flyer in the this group..which was my 3rd shot..4 shots went .950"..and the with the flyer it opened to 1.645"..The SSt's did a lot better...and yes..I had a flyer with that group too..It's very had going from a 1-1/2 lb trigger that breaks as clean as the Winchester does to a 3 lb one on the Elite..but..it still was ok for what it is...4 shots at .650"...with the flyer opening it up to 1.342"...This was with the Mueller Tactical...

The Savage 10FP did real good too...It has the Leupold 3x9 Tactical on it...and I really need a higher power scope for it...It's clear..it's bright..but for precision shooting at 200 yards..I need a higher magnification..It took me longer to get it dialed in with the SST's as you can see...but my last 2 shots with them cut the cross hair and are touching..I really need a better scope and to do some handloading with this bullet for the Elite and this one..The Winchester PP did good..they went .920" with no flyers and would be more than adequate with this rifle to hunt with if I wanted too..

I have some to a couple conclusions with this outing...1...I need a better front rest than what I have..mine moves...2..I need higher magnification to see with...my eyes just ain't what they used to be.. :-[

All in all...it was a afternoon to shoot...until a member there came out to try out his home made Civil War cannon and about blew everybody up..but that's another story in it's own right....

Mac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 06:26:09 AM »
Excellent shooting Mac!!

thanks for sharing,

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 06:53:21 AM »
Looks like that 223 is ready for a trip to a PD town real soon Mac,so lets get something going.   Excellant shooting with all of the guns.  :) :) :)  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 08:12:16 AM »

We will have to do that before the summer is out Digger.....I still have some PD loads to work up with it...and also with the 243 Elite as well...and soon for the 222 Elite that will be coming out...so that will give me 3 for factory rifles...and 1 for a 6mm AI I am going to have done on a Elite in a month...Heck...I had so much fun with this one...I just might have to pick up a handi 24" bull barrel for my 338-o6 AS frame to shoot...It's going to be a fun summer ;D

Mac

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 04:11:09 PM »
    I'm impressed!
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
Thanks for finally getting into the 223 club, I have been worried about that!!!  ;D  I think I need to send you a large 22 cal bullet sampler kit as I have mentioned.

With all 3 of these showing true moa potential right off the bat, well that's exciting!! No doubt these will be sub moa at 300 yards once you find their favorite loads.

Looks like my shooting starts soon, finally.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 07:00:36 PM »

Thanks John...I am very pleased with all of them so-far..including the Elite...Every barrel I have has been a great shooter...The anti-Spanish group over on the other forum might not be impressed though...at least till I run some good hand loads thru it...Thanks to my lovely wife...I'll be joining the Bench Rest club next month and will have access to the 600 yard targets...and hopefully at least have a new stock for the Savage on order by then...

Rod...I look forward to getting them...since I don't have anything for it except the brass I got from this outing..

Mac

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 01:41:42 AM »
Forgot to mention.....I like that stock on the Win! No doubt that is a unique build by Winchester and was a short run gun. You're very fortunate to have it in your collection.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 09:23:52 AM »
All this and with factory loads. Looking good, and I have to admit that M70 is a sweet little rifle you have, good scope too. Nice to see you step in to a 223, feels good doesn't it? ;D Perhaps a 24" Bull Barrel 223 is in the works for your Handi  ::)  8)
As always good shooting Mac, I look forward to hearing how they do handloaded for ya.

-Aaron

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 05:00:26 AM »
Arron:

A 223 Handi barrel would be easier & cheaper route to go..but if what I am working on right now with a well known barrel maker of Encore barrels can do for the Elite's & also for the Handi's becomes a reality...then  the whole scope of what we can have for them will change...I can't say right now..but having full blown custom barrels with high grade steel blanks & under lugs is a real possible...We will just have to wait & see how this turns out....I'll keep you posted..

Mac