Author Topic: non-glamourous ways to injure yourself.  (Read 1148 times)

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
non-glamourous ways to injure yourself.
« on: July 25, 2007, 08:49:42 AM »

Sadly, the doctor reported issues with both shoulders, and as luck would have it, I recently injured my left shoulder in a tragic Church handbell accident (long story).  I won't wait a year this time, just long enough to get my son married off in August.  (But I may miss archery season - and rifle season, as I shoot left handed)  :'(

tragic Church handbell accident (long story).

OK, if you're gonna say stuff like this, you are gonna have to post a link to the forum where you explain it.  ;D "Tragic" and "Church Bell" aren't usually associated with each other...

During the last song of the last Church performance of the season I was ringing the low bells (the big one in the center pic is about right).

During a smashing rendition of Christ the Lord is Risen Today, half of the handle on the 14 pound bell broke in two.  As it was in the process of tipping I gallantly and without the thought of self preservation, thrust my arm downward and out, in order to stop the momentum of the bell from breaking the rest of the handle.  Unfortunately, I tore the old rotator cuff in the process. 

The bell, safe, but wounded, continued to finish the performance.

My right rotator was torn pushing my kids down the hill sledding..........

These injuries, while ruining my aspiring career as a grenade thrower, have not hampered my ability to hurl B.S.

(but that is the way it happened  ::) )

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: non-glamourous ways to injure yourself.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 09:07:07 AM »
I can't compete with that. 

I blew out my knee in the "standard way" dragging two deer uphill and out of the woods.    ;D

Offline 35Rem

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
    • Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 10:41:20 AM »
Why'd you take the 14 lb bell out of the steeple?  Good gosh that's a big bell to be swinging around. I hope you didn't say any bad words in church when you did it. ;D It would have been difficult...
Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/
Vintage Semiauto Rifles
http://vintagesemiautorifle.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 12:42:44 PM »
  I have attended those bell chorus performances..they are moving and impressive..

Yup ! I thought that biggest brass bell looked pretty heavy..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 02:15:37 PM »
35 Rem:  All I did was smile.   :)

Ironglow: The lightest of the seven was about 8 lbs.  All in all, it doesn't sound like a lot, until you liken it to trying to stop a thrown bowling ball......  :-\

JC

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 02:34:02 PM »
   Back in my Army days while on CQ duty one night we heard the most high pitched screaming coming down the hall. The Sergeant on duty with me and I ran down and found the door to the room where the screaming was coming from locked. I ran back and got the keys from the desk. By this time there was a large crowd gathering as I went through the ring full of keys. When we finally got the door open we could see the guy screaming standing by the window facing it. To make a long story short the guy was peeing out the window and the window slammed shut on his manhood. The medics were called and the guy was taken to the hospital to have a few memorable stitches put in. At formation the next day our Top said that he doesn't think he would need to tell the rest of us to not releave ourselves out the window any more.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline 35Rem

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
    • Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 03:41:14 AM »
Billy,
That's probably the DEFINITION of justice...
Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/
Vintage Semiauto Rifles
http://vintagesemiautorifle.proboards105.com/index.cgi