Author Topic: Range Report  (Read 2117 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Range Report
« on: August 22, 2007, 07:26:31 PM »
Made it to the range today, mostly completed the loads I didn't get done last time, it was a good day, I didn't throw too many targets away, that's a good sign!!! ;D Shot the 243 Superlight, 7x57, 30-30, 444, 45 Colt Carbine, 500S&W and CVA Optima Elite 300 Win Mag.

Got a fairly nice 2 shot group with the 243 Superlight using Stimpy's recommendation of the 100gr Speer and H4895, first two shots were looking good at a ½", but the 3rd opened the group up to 2½", but considering they were all shot within 2 minutes, I didn't think it was all that bad!! ;)

The 7x57 shoots fairly well, would like to see tighter groups, but accuracy is acceptable, even including the 3rd shot flyer, maybe I should just shoot 2 shot groups!! :D ::) Velocity was excellent compared to book data, but I think I'm gonna try the 140gr TSX, Fred's getting great velocity over 2900fps in his Ruger.

The 30-30 turned in nicely shaped groups with a slight bit of vertical stringing on the 3rds shot, as usual, velocity was 2289fps for 36.5gr, and 2325fps for 37gr, primers are still looking good, so I may try a couple more grains to see how it goes, groups have been improving as the velocity increased.

The 444 shoots fantastic as it always does, accuracy with the start load was great and it only got better for the most part. Here again, I can go a bit more, loading long has its benefits, no hint of pressure so far, primers are looking great, so is velocity approaching 2400fps. :)

Shooting the 250gr SST muzzleloader bullet that's designed for use in sabots, also was enlightening, accuracy was so-so up until I got to my final load, another one that I can work on, primers are looking great here too at a little over 1900fps.

The 500S&W and the 700gr Ranger Rick bullets got me nothing with the additional 1gr of powder loads that I didn't get to shoot last time, velocity didn't increase much at all, really all I got was flattened primers!! The 29gr of Lil'gun got me 1430fps and the best accuracy of all, may try some H110 tho, still have some bullets left to use up!! ;D

You can see the Optima Elite range report in the CVA forum if you're interested.
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,123088.msg1098436389.html#msg1098436389

More later,

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cascadedad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Range Report
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 07:57:49 PM »
Nice shooting and nice report as usual Tim!

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 10:21:37 PM »
3 shot groups are overrated. Sounds like the 444 is a shooter. I wish I was retired, so I could shoot anytime I wanted to.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 10:33:39 PM »
good shooting tim the 30/30 looks very good.
bernie ;D
if its feral its in peril

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 11:14:20 PM »
Excellent results, Tim.  That .444 is impressive, as are the others.

I still have to remind myself that with the Handi's two shot groups are the norm.  I have only a couple that I can get a three shot group without a flyer.  Like others, I was brought up using three shot groups and even five shot groups as the tell-tale test of a rifle to display shot/load consistency.  Many good discussions on this forum have caused me to reconsider that practice. 

I'm preparing to send in for a barrel or two and, frankly, having a .45-70 and a .44 mag, didn't consider the new .444.  After looking at your groups, I may have to re-think my choice.

Great shootin'

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 12:33:34 AM »
Tim,

That's either a really tight 444 group......or one of the largest penney's I've ever seen! ;D

Nice shootin!

Dave

Offline BANG_OW

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 01:37:32 AM »
Nice shooting, I think there is going to be a run on 444 barrels as a result of your range reports.
As far as grouping, if my first shot is dead on, I vote for a one shot group. I don't know if I get exicited, or try too hard, but my 5 shot groups will always throw a flyer, doesn't matter which rifle or caliber. This usually happens more when the first three shots are very close to each other. 

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 03:54:15 AM »
Quick, your guns are more advanced than you would think.
They shoot 1-2" high on the third shot because when hunting the "target" will be running away. ;D

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 04:33:21 AM »

Good groups Tim...Looks like the 444 is a keeper...Looking forward to seeing how high the 30-30 can go..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 05:04:01 AM »
Thanks everyone, my huntin partner is famous for his one-shot-groups, he usually can put the first round exactly where it's supposed to be in friendly competition, if a hunter can do that and knows his firearm, groups size is kinda irrelevant, for a hunter, one in the right place is all it takes, knowing the second round will be right next to the first is confidence building!! ;D

I did notice a faux pas on the 48.5gr 444 target, I wrote the velocity on the target when I was marking it, that velocity was the last recorded, the string was 2349, 2361 and 2361, that 2361 kinda looked good, so I recorded it I guess ::), actually the average was 2357. The 49gr load string was 2332, 2376 and 2360 for an average of 2356, kinda strange that it didn't increase any. ??? Maybe the two loads that were extreme were caused by brass that was at extreme tolerances, have never checked em, I think I'll weigh them to see, I keep my loads in order before and after I shoot em. ;)

Dave, I thought about using a quarter instead of a penny, but....!!!

Thanks again,

Tim

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
 Ya an old English penny-------------------- about 3 iches in diameter I think  ;D

Seriously, nice shootin' Tim.

Mc

Offline gomerdog

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 06:17:15 PM »
I can't tell from the writing on the photos, but I was just wondering what powder and bullet you were using with the 30/30 barrel?
"Endeavor to persevere..." Chief Dan George from The Outlaw Josie Wales

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 06:33:15 PM »
BL-C2 and 150gr Nosler Partition molys, the data is Hodgdon's for the 150gr Sierra FN. The bullets aren't available that I'm aware of, they came from Midway for $5 a box. ;D

Tim

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 03:27:05 AM »
Tim....your so cheap.....my kind of guy!

Dave