Author Topic: marlin shotgun ?'s  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Hank McMauser

• Trade Count: (0)
marlin shotgun ?'s
« on: September 01, 2007, 06:55:06 PM »
  I  Was at the local pawn shp the other day, he has a marlin 12 ga there that look's exactly like a H&R or nef shotgun  the price is right,he has it marked $60.00 probably could get it for less. He's a real good guy and likes to horse trade.I would like to purchase this if it's compatible with nef rifle.
   I picked up an old stevens 940 20g I traded him an old savage6 .22 rifle for it,I've been wanting to get a 20 ga since I traded mine for beer money in college many years ago.  I've already refinished the stock and had to stretch/bend out the hammer spring- new one will be ordered in the upcoming months. very pleased with the deal.
   Hank
Hank McMauser

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: marlin shotgun ?'s
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 07:42:49 PM »
  I would like to purchase this if it's compatible with nef rifle.

What do you mean compatible? Getting other shotgun barrels fitted? If so, H&R won't fit barrels to other mfrs firearms, they're very specific in their accessory barrel info. If it has a serial number that qualifies, the only way to know is call and ask them to be sure. (866)776-9292 toll free

Tim

Additional barrels may be added to firearms of our manufacture since 1987 only, with a serial number that begins with N or H. We do not install additional barrels on any other manufacturer’s firearms.

http://hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 03:10:50 AM »
The Marlin Model 200 Single shot was made around 7-8 years ago, around the time Marlin took over H&R/NEF. I think they were a K-Mart exclusive, as that is the only place I had seen them for sale brand new. They had a color case receiver kind of like the NEF, and a non-Schnabel forend like the H&R of that time. Now NEF no longer has the Schnabel either. They were made by, and parts are interchangeable with H&R/NEF, BUT I have heard that even though Marlins owns both, they will not add accessory barrels to them. Of course if you are handi, you could add your own (SB-1) barrels, or use this barrel on your SB-2 frame.

Just did a little search and came up with this.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_was_the_Marlin_Model_200_shotgun_made

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8208747
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Hank McMauser

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 03:33:02 AM »
   Thank you  guy's I should have been more clear with my questionyes was wondering if the barrel could be fitted by me to my sb-2 frame, also was interested in the stock interchangeability as my rifle has the monte carlo stock on it and would be very difficult to shoot a shotgun bbl on it. Of course if I bought it why bother changing the barrels I have a big enough vehicle to carry both guns in anywhere I'd want to go.  but I like to tinker as stated above.
     I'm also eying an old 20  ga he has that's very old it has no markings at all except for on the barrel it states that it is 20 guage it has been shot loose there is quite a gap between the bbl and breech face,I was thinking of getting it and trying my hand at tightening up the gap  with shim stock like is  used to fit the handi-bbl's
    I should change my handle  to gun tinkerer,but I believe it's already taken.
   Hank
Hank McMauser

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 04:10:19 AM »
Hank, if you are a gun tinkerer you have come to the right place!!! I see you are not a brand newbie but welcome aboard anyway, glad to have you here with us....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline kng

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 01:22:28 PM »
There's about 5 or 6 of these Marlin shotguns in my local gun shop.  I can't beleive how POOR the quality is!  (Rust, burrs, bad wood, bad blueing, etc.)

They're the only one's I've ever seen.

-Kyle
H&R/NEF:  .243, .308, .270, .357, .357 Talo, 45 BC Carbine, 45-70 Talo, .50 cal, .22/20 Versa, .22 Sportster
12 ga. turkey, 20 ga. Topper Model 88, .410, 20 ga. Ultra Light Slug Hunter, 20 ga. Tamer

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 01:57:02 PM »
If they've been used by people who bought them at K-Mart it might not be original manufacturing defects that account for the problems....
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline Walley

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 03:12:15 PM »
There is going to be an auction about 40 miles from here on Wednesday that in their flier lists about 30 guns including 2 H&R 410s, four H&R 20s and a Marlin 12 gauge single shot.  I plan to go to see what I can do on the H&Rs. After reading these posts I am going to check out the Marlin and if it is like the NEF/H&Rs and the price is right it most likely will follow me home