Author Topic: Green Hornet Arrives  (Read 618 times)

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Green Hornet Arrives
« on: October 21, 2007, 04:58:45 AM »
My Hornet arrived last week and I hope to soon get my green camo lams and Williams peep sight. I have tried 45 gr.Hornady Hornet bullets with LIl'Gun powder. Since I was shooting with open sights all I can report is the gun goes 'bang'. I think I will have to temporarily mount a scope on the rifle to do load development. What is the 'favorite' recipe for the Hornet. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Mc

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Green Hornet Arrives
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 08:32:53 AM »
Hi Mc,
 Lil'Gun is favored by many and works great.I had best luck with ww296 and 45gr hornady bullets in mine 10-11grs has shot well in 3 hornets for me.Be sure to post pics when you get the lams on it,I like that green hornet.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline rbergum95

• Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 08:50:27 AM »
in my handi hornet my favorite load is 13.3 grains of lil gun and a 40 gr v-max, in my savage i load the same bullet with 13.0 gr lil gun. very accurate in both of my guns with very good performance on game.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 09:50:35 AM »
12.5gr Lil'gun, 35gr Vmax, Win brass.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline saltydog

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 10:15:48 AM »
For an all around varmit load - Lil Gun or H 110 plus 35 or 40 gr. V-max's or 40 gr. Nosler BT's.  Skip the 45 and over bullets unless you are hunting something you want to eat - like a Turkey. 35 gr. Vmax's will travel at over 3K fps - work up to the load.  Weaver scope base - extended rings plus a Weaver classic 2x7 22 rimfire scope works well for under $150.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 12:46:34 PM »
I do not think there is a better powder than Lil'gun for the 22 Hornet. They developed it for 410 shotgun, but it feels like they developed it for the Hornet. It also made the 17 HMR into a reality.

Speer #14 manual - "For this manual, we used CCI small pistol primers instead of rifle primers. This change allowed higher velocities at safe pressures, and greatly reduced the extreme variation of pressure that limited the number of propellants we showed in previous books."  They went on to say they tested them in different action types including break-open actions. They said if you have any trouble with primer flowback - then there is too much clearance between the firing pin and the breech face or the firing pin is weak. In either case it should be corrected with a gunsmith. They also warned that using their loads with rifle primers would increase pressure above 22 Hornet safe levels.

For 40 grain bullets Lil'gun velocity topped out at 3020fps, the next highest was WW296 @ 2782 fps. With 45 grains bullets, 2913 for Lil'gun and 2619 for WW296. You can see a significant difference between Lil'gun and it nearest competitor. 2900 fps with a 45 grain bullet isn't too shabby. Curiously the 33 TNT only developed 73 fps more velocity than a 40 grain bullet. It fell behind H110, 296 and AA No.9 with the 33 grain TNT. It may have something to do with case capacity, they are showing 14.0 grains of Lil'gun compressed, I do not think you could get any more in there.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 01:26:31 AM »
In mine 40 gr bullets and Lil Gun group best (VMax followed by Sierra Hornet Bullet).  The Hornany 45 gr is a nice looking Hornet bullet but grouped slightly less accurate.  I have tried Win. 296 but it also grouped slightly less.  I think the best place to start is with 40 gr bullets and Lil Gun, testing at 50 yards (remove wind), then adjust from there.