Author Topic: 243 SL + 58 Gr. V-max = SWEET GROUPS  (Read 1949 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
243 SL + 58 Gr. V-max = SWEET GROUPS
« on: October 21, 2007, 09:49:55 AM »
Took the 243 SL out to test some loads using Varget and the 58 grain Hornady V-max . All were loaded to a COL of 2.600 , CCI large rifle primers and Hornady once fired / trimmed brass . ( Thanks Marv )

Loaded 3 each starting @ 39.5 gr. and worked up to 44.0 gr. , .5 grains at a time . The first 2 groups were ok by SL standards , around 1 1/2" . The next 3 groups were even better , dropping about 1/4" per group . It was at this point that i hit the Sweet spot with 42 grains , group was just a fuzz over 1/2" .  ;D

Went on up with the loads and so did the group sizes , by the time i hit 44 gr. they looked like shotgun patterns .  :o

This tells me 2 things , 1 - it does not like Max loads and 2 - i have my 243 P-dog load .  ;)

Also took the 30/30 Handi to test some 168 gr. Speer Gold Match BTHPs that i have had for many years , now i wish i had bought 20 boxes of them 25 years ago .  :'(

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 243 SL + 58 Gr. V-max = SWEET GROUPS
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 09:52:13 AM »
That's great news, Stimpy!!

thx,

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 10:01:23 AM »
Glad you found the right load. It is funny how just a couple of grains of powder can make such a difference. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 10:09:34 AM »
Ya Dale , and depending on case size , with my 218 Bee only .02 gr. with H110 means the diffrence between 3/4" groups and a pattern with brass that has to be knocked out with a cleaning rod .

But in my .270 with IMR4350 , it will shoot the same with as much as 3 full grains diffrence .  ???

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Hunter NZ

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 08:21:37 AM »
Glad you got it to shoot, I must have another go with the light projectiles in my superlight,
regards Howard.

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 12:26:47 PM »
That is some fine shooting Stimpy. I really like the .243 cal with Varget and use it for all of my coyote hunting.

bjm
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline Blucollar

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 12:54:05 PM »
Better than good shooting!!!
Needless to say, I've loaded a few .243 loads to try. ;D
EXCEPT a man be BORN AGAIN, he CANNOT see the kingdon of GOD.  John 3:3 kjv

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 03:38:53 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys , ever since i got my first Handi my handloading has taken on a twist  ::) , i used to load just to shoot and did not give much thought to group sizes other than the normal 2" or less is good enough type thinking . With bolts , pumps , levers and semi-autos i alwas knew that a second round was easy to get off .

But once i got my first single shot all that changed . now i try to put as many as i can in the same hole .  :o This SL has been a real challange for me , this last round of tests has consisted of 5 diffrent powders and 3 brands of brass along with 4 brands of primers . The only thing that has been consistent was the bullet , well over 500 of them and counting .

Before i would have 3 or 4 powders that would cover all my loading , now i have over 40 diffrent ones and trying more every month . It used to be were 2 styles of cast handgun bullets and 3 or 4 rifle bullets would be plenty , i now have Speer , Berger , Sierra , Hornady , Nosler , Barnes and no less than 6 diffrent cast bullets just for my Handi's .

Wildcats were the local football team , i now have 2 and a 3rd in the works , Who knows were this will go from here ?

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 04:34:20 PM »
Its good to know you've got 1 thats shooting good now,maybe Marv and I can teach you to shoot it good enough that the PD's will quit laughing at you . ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 04:42:31 PM »
LOL! Hahaha! ;D ;D Wow! even i got a laugh outa that one! Sorry stimpy! I just couldn't resist! I am excited to try your technique with that cartridge. I hope i get my .243 back in time to test those loads out! sounds like they'r working great for ya. Keep it up!
dont pee down my back and tell me its raining
if my guns were my children theyd be incredibly spoiled
the mountian has got its own way, pillgram
ther's many a slip twix the cup and the lip
Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 05:48:47 PM »
Congrats on the sweet shooting load Stimpy!

Robert

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 06:58:02 AM »
stimpylu32
You are definitely on the right track. Handi's like low pressure, as a matter of fact they love it.  However that is a lot of powder to push that littlr bullet. My 6x47 shoots this same bullet at 3400 ft with with a bit more than 1/2 as much powder shooting 3/8 groups.

I highly recommend the 6x47 for an intermediate varmint rifle. My rifle's
favorite fodder is the 55gr BT. Alas you have to spend three bills to get a 6x47 Handi made from a 223.

According to my calculation your pressure is 42ksi vel about 3200ft which is really not too bad with the accuracy you are getting. The trajectory of this bullet will be a bit on the rainbow site. If you like I can figure it out for you.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 09:26:35 AM »
Good to see  super lite shooting that well.
Well done.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 10:45:31 AM »
Fred M

Thats about the numbers i was coming up with using a W-A-G ( wild --- guess ) , And yes your right about the Handi not liking the max pressures . The only one that i have that likes MAX stuff is my 7.62x39 , for some unknown reason it shoots best at max load or in some cases just a touch over max .

That would be great if you could do the trajectory for me , i want to start shooting it out to 500 maybe 600 yards and that would save me a boat load of loading time .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 12:37:07 PM »
stimpylu32 .
It would be better if we had an actual chrono reading, but you can check my calcs by firing at three measured distances, say 150 200 and 250 I then can  make velocity .adjustments to get it quite close. 500 yrds is stretching it a bit. At that distance you have to have excact readings of the range. If you are off by 10-20 yards you miss a PD.

I have a mil dot scope and on a coyote I can get a good range out to max 400yrds if he is standing still or like the last one laying down, a gopher no more than 250-300yrds.

I will send you a PM when I get it done
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 12:48:47 PM »
Fred M

Thanks buddy , if all goes right i'll have a new chrono for CHRISTmas , its on the top of the list that i gave MAMA .  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 05:58:51 PM »
stimpy.
You gona luv that Chrony, I can't even imagin to be without one sure saves a lot of guessing.

The only one that i have that likes MAX stuff is my 7.62x39 , for some unknown reason it shoots best at max load or in some cases just a touch over max .

To make this Rusky Kalashnikov rifle operate without a hitch in auto mode the ammo was designed with low pressure 51.4 ksi MAP not SAMMI.

The loads in our loading books are not anywhere near this pressure. So when you load a max load as per Hodgdon you are in the upper 40kpsi MAP range.
That is why you get good accuracy with max loads in the 7.62x39 Handi Rusky.

Too bad that  Mikhail Kalashikov did not have a mortal accident when he designed
that mass killing machine in hospital.

Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 10:36:14 AM »
Stimpylu32

My 243 Superlight (20” barrel) must have been in the same litter as yours.  I found the SWEET spot at 42.4 gr. of Hodgdon Varget.  Hornady brass trimmed to 2.029”, Hornady 58 gr. V-Max bullet, 2.594” C.O.L., Winchester LR primers.  The chronograph gave an average of 3341 fps.  Groups go about ¾”, maybe you are a little better shot though.

Mike
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.