Author Topic: Trimmer recommendation  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Marc5000

• Trade Count: (0)
Trimmer recommendation
« on: November 06, 2007, 03:54:53 PM »
Could you guys please recommend a good case trimmer? Currently the only cartridge I reload is .223 Remington.

I got a Lyman universal case trimmer, but am dissatisfied with it. The thing looks like a mini-lathe, there is a chuck with two claws to hold the case and a hand crank to rotate the cutter. I got it because its design seemed fairly simple and functional, but the problem is the chuck doesn't  really hold the cases securely. They keep getting loose while I'm trimming.

Thanks,
Marc

Offline GREYGHOSTt

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Trimmer recommendation
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 05:23:34 PM »
for the money Forrester and don't look back..
You are using a pilot ?
third eye blinds the other two.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 11:57:14 PM »
I also use the Lee case trimmer for the cases I can. Cheap, easy, fast, repeatable and does a good job of keeping the case mouth square. They make them for the most common cases. If you want one for an odd case you will have to custom order it. The 223 is NOT an odd size, but a 360 DW is.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 04:01:02 AM »
The Lee case trimmer system does the job well, does it fast, and a lot cheaper than other trim tools I have tried. I just recently started back reloading for a rifle, and this is my first Lee trimmer. Wish I'd had those back in my multi rifle days!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 05:54:10 AM »
Thanks for the picture, Quickdtoo. I have been using a Pacific lathe type trimmer since forever with the crank and such.  Without the picture, I would have kinda skimmed over this post.  I have 200 .223 cases just waiting for the mail.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 05:58:10 AM »
Glad i could help. ;)

Tim

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 06:46:00 AM »
The RCBS Trim Pro.  I have been using one for a while.  I used to have a Lyman Universal, but the power-driven RCBS is much easier to use when you have more than a few cases.  You have to have a case trimmer shellholder for each rim diameter.The Lyman Power Trimmer looks good but probably uses the same case holder arrangement as their Universal Trimmer. Forster makes one that you use with a drill press.  It is a good reason to buy a drill press if you don't already have one.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 07:16:02 AM »
I too use the Lyman power option with the Universal trimmer for those rounds that Lee doesn't make a case length gauge that I can't modify one for.

Tim

Offline davem270win

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 04:52:33 AM »
I've used a Forster for years, but have recently begun using a Wilson/Sinclair with the Micrometer adjustment, and I like it a lot. The down side is you have to buy shellholders for each type of case you reload (308 based cases, 30-06 based cases, etc) since the case actually slips into the holder like it's a partial chamber. The new Redding also has a micrometer adjustment and might be worth looking into.

I always got frustrated trying to set up a trimmer for the correct length, but with the micrometer you can just dial it in.

Offline Castaway

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 02:04:10 PM »
My vote's with quickdtoo.  Easy to use, can't get out of adjustment, portable and quick, not to mention inexpensive.  I have a Lyman trimmer but haven't used it in years since I found about Lee trimmers.

Offline chucky52

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 02:20:16 PM »
Lyman electric for 3 calibers, works fine with a pilot. Like the primer pocket cleaner, too.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 01:44:19 AM »
I ama masochist...I use a trim die and a file.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 12:25:44 PM »
I use the RCBS trimer (new) as it holds the case's in a shell holder, rather than a collet. Many case's very in size of the case head evan in the same brand. Its not possible to trim consistant trim lengths with a collet. You can attach a power device to this also.
Jim

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 10:36:26 PM »
Lyman Universal by hand  :).

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 06:59:00 AM »
quickdtoo:  Thanks for the information on the Lee Case Trimmer.  I have been looking at them but was not sure of what components I needed for the .300 Savage.  One of the problems is that the stores I visit do not stock the .300 Savage gauge.  I have now ordered it directly from Lee.

I normally use a Forrester case trimmer for my trimming needs.  I recently decided that one of my winter loading projects was to re-size all the 7.62 brass, and .308 brass I have on hand to .300 Savage.  I have done this in the past with success.  But when I started hand turning the Forrester trimmer I quickly realized that arthritis was starting to take over and that there had to be a better and low price option.  I had the opportunity to view a large display of the Lee trimmers, but the .300 Savage was not among them.  I found the part number for the .300 Savage gauge on the website.

I have placed an order with Lee for the items I need.

I suspect that I need to replace the cutting head on my Forrester trimmer.  It might be getting a little dull after 30 some years of use.  A day after I ordered the Lee trimmer parts I found a part that converts my crank powered trimmer to a power trimmer.  That might be a future purchase along with a new cutting head/shaft. 

I notice on the information regarding the power adapter for the Forrester trimmer it stated the power source (electric drill) needed to be supported.  The assumption is to take the strain off the trimmer.  I had already been talking to my wildcatter brother who has a manual Lyman trimmer.  I provided the information regarding a power adapter for his trimmer from Midway.

Siskiyou
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 07:14:06 AM »
Glad you got the .300 Savage trimmer ordered, I order most of mine from Midsouth, they have great prices and very reasonable shipping, and they do have that length gauge in stock. Sportsman's Warehouse here in town sells some common calibers, but I end up ordering most of them.

Although it's not in the pic, I use one of the orange Lyman mold boxes to support the drill when I use the Lyman Universal trimmer, it's just the right height to take the pressure off the trimmer bushings.

Tim

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690138

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 02:31:25 PM »
Can't go wrong with the lee case trimmer.  Cuts quick and square.

Go down slow when you are using an 18 volt drill... 

Just a recommendation...  Don't fix it to a high speed corded drill and hold it with your hand....  Just a recommendation...

I don't use the wood handle like quick has in the picture (I should though)
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 02:34:57 PM »
That ball handle cutter is real comfortable to use, just costs a little more when you need to replace it. :-\

Tim

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 03:30:20 PM »
Plan on using my 18v screwdriver drill, starting at a low speed and adjusting from there.  Safety and comfort level comes first.  I will consider using my drill press at its slowest speed.  I have a small vise that is designed to hold small items for the press.  I may not get beyond the first step and be satisfied with the operation.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 05:48:27 AM »
I received my order with the Lee Case Trimmer for the .300 Savage.

I attached it to my 18v drill/screwdriver.  I must note that without the Challenger Ball Grip attached the process would have been more difficult.

I could not tighten the shell holder to the lock stud tight enough by hand to lock the case down.  Reluctantly I had to use pliers to hold the shell holder while tightening the lock stud with a ¼ inch socket. 

At the lowest power sitting the drill would not turn the cutter once it engaged the case.  I turned the power setting up to #3 and it trimmed the case quickly and without problem.  I followed the trimming with the chamfering tool inside and out side the case neck.  Using a light contact and a quick one-turn spin the case was nicely finished. 

In fact I am very pleased with the chamfering operation because of the clean finish and ease.  My Forrester trimmer provided a slightly cleaner finish cut, which I always cleaned up with the chamfer tool.  But the finished product using the Lee Trimmer and the chamfering tool with the power screwdriver does a better-finished product.  I went to this product because of the amount of material needed to be trimmer from 7.62 NATO cases and .308 cases to .300 Savage cases. 

I will continue to use the Forrester trimmer for less extensive trimming jobs on .300 Savage cases, and other calibers.

I have discarded the idea of using the drill press as a power source because the 18v drill/screwdriver is practical and can be used anywhere.

My recommendations of wearing safety glasses and a glove on the holding hand is re-enforced after see the amount of brass cutting produced by the trimming operation.

Thanks for the post; because of it I found a tool I needed.

Offline Chappy

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007, 07:02:23 AM »
I've used the Lee trimmers and still use them for some calibers.  However, for large trimming jobs, likes lots of 223 cases, I use my RCBS trim pro connected to a hand drill, and most importantly I use the cutter heads that chamfer and debur at the same time they trim to length. This saves a step/time and all my case months come out exactly alike.