Author Topic: Merry Christmas to me!!! Excel Auto 5 going back.  (Read 957 times)

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
Merry Christmas to me!!! Excel Auto 5 going back.
« on: December 07, 2007, 05:33:23 AM »
I just ordered a Excel Auto 5 Waterfowl in wetlands camo. 28" VR 4 choke tubes. All for $400 was this a good deal? Seems like a very nice shotgun, would appreciate any feed back I can get. Happy Holidays to all - F50 :)
If it's too good to be true it probably isn't. The main thing I wanted from this shotgun was the Browning like receiver and the big drop at the heel that comes with that design. I cut my teeth on a Remington model 11 so that's what I like. I had another Excel A5 go through my shop and it was of that persuasion. This one shows up and "No JOY" looks like a Remington 1100 copy. That may not be all bad but it doesn't look like the H&R web-site or my distributor's site shows it and it's not what I expected so I'm returning it. Why would H&R/Marlin make a major design change like that and not advise the consumer? Is the wet lands waterfowl model the only one? In this world of shopping on line we need to know that we're getting what we pay for. JMHO - F50
Merry Christmas to All

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: Merry Christmas to me!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 08:50:20 AM »
I'd love to hear your impressions of the gun after you put some ammo through it. I don't think anybody has ever commented on actually using one here before. Lot's of folks have asked questions about them though. Give us a full report.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 12:31:29 AM »
Congratulations!    :)

Please do provide a report.  I've been interested in one of these since the arrived.  Have yet to make the jump, though. 

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 05:06:13 AM »
Will do guys I just finished Elk season and the Excel should be here this week. I will be doing some Duck and Goose hunting in the near future with it and will let you know. - F50

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Re: Merry Christmas to me!!! Excel Auto 5 going back.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 02:40:11 AM »
Fanner50 -- Your experience is a good example of what's happening to the U.S sporting arms industry. Marlin buys these guns from overseas to sell under the NEF brand name, and they just switched models, or maybe even suppliers, without telling anyone. Might have had trouble with the shotguns that were originally sold as Excels, or just got a better deal from another supplier. It's a darn shame that an old company like Marlin or H&R/NEF does this sort of thing. Makes me wonder how long they will keep the Massachusetts NEF plant running, if they can get a better deal on something made overseas. We all saw what FN did with the old Winchester factory. What a world we live in!
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 03:02:01 AM »
What did I miss??? It seems there must have been a very interesting post somewhere between the last 2. Oh well, that will teach me to check more often!!!....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 05:52:14 AM »
No explanation, it appears Gary modified the orginal post yesterday morning to add the going back part, there's no missing post in the trash can, so none were deleted.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 09:53:06 AM »
Thanks Tim, I just now after reading your post and went back to see the original post modification...Thanks....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 05:50:26 AM »
I asked before and got no reply I'll try it one more time,
Where are the pump and auto H&Rs made? I heard China, I heard Turkey
I have never seen one to check for myself
Thanks
Foggy
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 06:24:58 AM »
Hi Foggy, I will just relate to you what I have heard, The pump is made in China and the Semi-auto was made in Turkey. I understand changes have been made to the gun(s) and I am unsure if they were only model changes or manufacturer changes. Hopefully another more informed on those 2 models will offer more information....<><....:)

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 01:28:10 PM »
MSP Ret
Thanks  Now I  know sorta LOL
Foggy
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 03:08:00 PM »
Also the pump is a clone of the Remington 870 and the auto was (or is) made by Verona....<><....:)