Author Topic: adding rear sight to smooth bore 12 ga Pardner trick  (Read 925 times)

Offline preventec47

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
adding rear sight to smooth bore 12 ga Pardner trick
« on: December 08, 2007, 03:51:16 AM »
I've been given a 12 ga Pardner and I'm not a bird hunter and was trying to think how I
could make it easier to sight and more accurate without buying a new slug barrel ( man am I cheap !)
I was noticing there is a half inch on the receiver in front of the hammer and was going
to look for pistol rear sights or was going to try to epoxy a plastic rear sight from a pellet gun
but now after someone elses suggestion I think I will drill and tap a hole and find a suitable
black slotted screw and screw it in there.   I will turn the slot so I can look through it like
a rear sight and it wont screw up the looks of the gun I dont think.

BUT, I wanted to ask all the old timers as they might already have a better idea.
I've gotta have some kind of peephole or notch to look through.  If I had a hundred
fifty bucks to waste I'd love to put a fold up tang sight like off an old Sharps rifle .
Wouldnt that be a sight to see!  Eat your heart out Tom Sellick.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: adding rear sight to smooth bore 12 ga Pardner trick
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 04:13:27 AM »
"I've gotta have some kind of peephole or notch to look through."

Why? The bead alone is sufficient for deer hunting out to at least 50 yards and after you become more experienced and more confident with it you will be taking shots up to 75 yards with confidence. That said, if you want a rear sight a new higher front may have to he added, but all in all, other than possibly weakening the action near the breech face that takes the thrust and pressure of the firing of the shell your idea seems very interesting. No windage adjustment but elevation adjustment would be fairly simple by turning the screw in or out. I would suggest a fine thread screw. You might even place a small washer or circle of some kind in the slot and make a peep sight. This sounds better all the time. Great thought, lets here more ideas please from those who may be more informed on the strength of the action and what may happen by drilling and tapping a small hole at that location, would could even place a small nut on the screw to use as a locking nut....<><....:)

P.S. - Welcome aboard and Merry Christmas to you preventec47, I hope to see many more of your posts and ideas here....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 05:10:34 AM »
I think I'd spend $21.50 shipped for a Williams WGRS aperture sight from H&R, and use Loctite 380 after lapping the sight base to the barrel swell, you may have to install a taller bead to work with it, but it should work great. You could even do the same thing with a Williams ramp and Firesight for the front. ;D See Peep and Firesights in the FAQs and Help sticky. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 351 power

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 12:22:52 PM »
hey quickdtoo. that's what i just finished doing. nice setup. hope to sight it in tomorrow
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 04:44:45 AM »
The older Toppers simply had a notch in the top of the receiver that worked with the existing sight.  Have to be careful though since I've seen these done right and I've seen receivers butchered too.  Have to find some way to finish the cut after filing also and thats not easy with cast iron.