Author Topic: Shot Show  (Read 2150 times)

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
Shot Show
« on: February 09, 2008, 11:48:25 AM »
Perhaps by now you know there wont be any 7mm and 300 Magnums Handi's this year and maybe next years. The engineer from H&R had already left
for home by the time I got there. I was told the magnums were not a  high priority, besides the action required a complete new design.

Had a look at the 12g slug gun which I really liked only about 5.5lbs and it had ejectors, the 20g was not at the show.

There was a new Break open called "Tradition Outfitter" cal 30-06, 308, 243, 270, 444 all have a 1-8" twist which is very strange, and have Wilson barrels?
Never heard of these barrels.

Rossi features 12 combi rifle/shotgun, and Remington has a SPR O/U 223/12 not a bad looking gun.

The Nightforce 2.5-10x24 is one nice scope for hunting, that and the new tipped triple shock Barnes X bullets ought to get your game. Two day of walking did not see it all. Some of the finest shotguns and rifles. Remington also had a new rolling block in 45-70 one of them would need a set of wheels to move about also very well made. That is about it.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Shot Show
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 11:58:07 AM »
The new Tradition Outfitter sounds interesting..........Thanks for the report!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 12:11:53 PM »
Unfortunately Fred's probably right on the Handi-mags, I've been holding out until I got more info, but I got pretty much the same info on January 29th, the distributor orders for the Handi-mags was way too low in volume for H&R/Marlin to put additional resources into further endurance testing without a market for them, so I don't think they'll happen either. I also think it really stinks that they put them in the 2008 catalog when they haven't even finished with the testing, what a way to run a business!! >:( ::)

This is all I found on the Traditions Outfitter..

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=CR2

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=CR

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=CRC

Thanks for the report Fred, enjoy your US visit!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 12:16:53 PM »
Complete redesign? Makes sense to me ;)

Mc ;)

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 12:26:35 PM »
I see you don't have to send in the frame to change barrels.........but the price is $500+........too high for me.

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 01:05:22 PM »
Heart of hearts I knew the mags would not come though. Gun companies offer models alot and all they have a pre production shop samples they get them in the gun rags put them in the catalogs and got fishing if they can't get x number of units  ordered no guns that model will be produced I remember the Marlin the local guns and Ammo experts haunted use for 2 years before we found out they really existed. our distributors did not have them for 8 months after they said (marlin) they were in production. then it only lasted 2 years or so,
I just want a Handi in 260Rem they will never make it but one can dream
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 01:08:29 PM »
I see you don't have to send in the frame to change barrels.........but the price is $500+........too high for me.

You can get an Encore or 2 Handis for that. Did they have the new 45-70 Handi rifle?
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 01:16:42 PM »
Did they have the new 45-70 Handi rifle?

From Rangr44's SHOT show report before he edited it, I think so, he posted it as a stainless slug gun originally, and they do look alike.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,137118.msg1098530776.html#msg1098530776

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 01:37:34 PM »
Thanks. It still says stainless slug gun though.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 03:04:20 PM »

It does?  ???

So far, AFAIK:

* Ruger #1 in .450/400 Nitro Express, in person.

* Lipsey's #1 "Lion" Rifle Limited Edition .375 Ruger (1 of 250)

* Charles Daly scaled-down Little Sharp's for .22 Hornet & .30-30

* H&R RS rifled barrel slug gun w/thumbhole stock

* [EDIT: (added) Rossi break-open, nickle-plated Handi-clone SS rifle ]

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 03:07:16 PM »

It does?  ???

So far, AFAIK:

* Ruger #1 in .450/400 Nitro Express, in person.

* Lipsey's #1 "Lion" Rifle Limited Edition .375 Ruger (1 of 250)

* Charles Daly scaled-down Little Sharp's for .22 Hornet & .30-30

* H&R RS rifled barrel slug gun w/thumbhole stock

* [EDIT: (added) Rossi break-open, nickle-plated Handi-clone SS rifle ]

I could have sworn I seen stainless slug gun.  I guess age is catching up with me.

Rick

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 03:09:16 PM »
It did before he changed it, but that was the 4th, I think.

Tim

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 03:15:47 PM »
I seen it for the first time when you posted it. :o

Rick

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 03:44:54 PM »
"magnums were not a high priority, besides the action required a complete new design".   Well now, SURPRISE SURPRISE !!  ::)

I would say with Rem. in control, cooler & more practical minds may prevail & the Mag never comes. However, they will have the resourses to have a complete new gun if they so choose. It makes more sense for NEF to do what they do well, std. rounds.

About the Traditions rifle, I don't understand the 1-8 twist across the board at all.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 03:52:44 PM »
The Traditions rifle looks cheap. The rest of their products are so I imagine this one is too.

Rick

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 04:44:19 PM »
Are we still going to get the 45-70 Ultra SS action with the thumbhole lams do you think?? The first thing that happens after a take-over is the 'nut-balls' cut all capital expenditures and lay off the people who need the capital to add to or make improvements, namely the engineers.

Mc >:(

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 05:02:52 PM »
I don't know yet, haven't got any more info, was expecting some after the show, maybe Monday. :(

Tim

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 06:02:43 PM »
Keep us updated. Since the Handi Mags are out I am looking at that 45-70 more and more.  ;D

Rick

Offline coyote trapper1928

• Contributor
    • North Country Outdoors
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 06:41:43 PM »
What is the price on the little sharps rifle?
coyote trapper1928

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 06:53:43 PM »
The CD Little Sharps 38-55 and 45 Colt sell for $1229 according to their website, they don't list the Hornet or 30-30 yet.

Tim

http://www.littlesharps.com/pages/menu.html

http://www.gunblast.com/SHOT_2008_1.htm

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 09:00:56 PM »
Fred,

Wilson made barrels for White muzzleloaders back in the 90's, they were excellent barrels with very tight tolerances.

http://www.wilsonarms.com/about_us.htm

http://www.wilsonarms.com/
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 01:54:10 AM »

I would say with Rem. in control, cooler & more practical minds may prevail & the Mag never comes. However, they will have the resourses to have a complete new gun if they so choose. It makes more sense for NEF to do what they do well, std. rounds.
As an outsider looking in, I think nomosendero said it perfectly. They are not going to try to "re-invent the wheel" so to speak. They don't have to now.

About the Traditions rifle, I don't understand the 1-8 twist across the board at all.
Now this makes absolutely zero sense!

bjm
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 06:11:10 AM »
Unfortunately Fred's probably right on the Handi-mags, I've been holding out until I got more info, but I got pretty much the same info on January 29th, the distributor orders for the Handi-mags was way too low in volume for H&R/Marlin to put additional resources into further endurance testing without a market for them, so I don't think they'll happen either. I also think it really stinks that they put them in the 2008 catalog when they haven't even finished with the testing, what a way to run a business!! >:( ::)

This is all I found on the Traditions Outfitter..

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=CR2

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=CR

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=CRC

Thanks for the report Fred, enjoy your US visit!! ;)

Tim

If this is the case...then I am shocked and appalled by the implications of it...It's one thing to put out feelers for a paticular caliber to see if there is enough interest...but a piss poor excuse for a company to advertise it like it was a done deal and ready for production......Me thinks Remington put the kabobs to it for a good reason...and I would guess liability was the primary reason.. in light that the gun wasn't fully tested...I'm just theorizing here...but I would hazard to say Remington's standards are higher than Marlin's and they won't take the cake out of the oven until it's fully done... :-[

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 06:19:07 AM »
When was the last time Remington ever came up with a new decent(heavy) action design? I don't think we can expect much good to come of the match-up of Remington, Marlin and NEF. They are now owned by business men with little or no regard for anything but profit. I've gone through several changes of management at work and it always comes down to cut, cut , cut----------------run by people with no vision.

Mc

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 07:19:18 AM »
I did see a Handi slug gun in SS 12g with extractor. One wonders why one has an ejector and the other an extractor. I plan to buy a 20g slug gun hope it has an ejector. Now for a real break open in 300 Wby SS with Zeiss glass for a pittance of 14000 Euro made by Blaser with the Jager lock up made in Krautland with jewel precision.

Well I made up by spinning the wheel I got a free Buckknife made in China. But I bought a fine little Gerber lock blade for $15 made in USA. I would never buy a Buck knife again it is a shame that you can,t hardly buy anything made in the US anymore.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 07:24:34 AM »
Hmmm, maybe Rangr44 didn't mistake the 45-70 SS Ultra for a slug gun. :-[ That's real sweet, they advertise products they aren't gonna make in the catalog and on the website,  and don't advertise a product that they intend to make! ::)   Let's hope they actually make both.  ;)

Tim

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 07:42:15 AM »
When was the last time Remington ever came up with a new decent(heavy) action design? I don't think we can expect much good to come of the match-up of Remington, Marlin and NEF. They are now owned by business men with little or no regard for anything but profit. I've gone through several changes of management at work and it always comes down to cut, cut , cut----------------run by people with no vision.

Mc

uh huh...Remington knows how to build a very strong action Mc...Wither or not they will remains to be seen...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2008, 07:50:05 AM »
Fred, you got me worried there for a minute. I bought a NICE BIG Buck at Cabelas in Hamburg Pa. this summer on my way back from the Gettysburg battlefield. I assumed it was made in the U.S.A.  I just checked it-----it says U.S.A on the blade, whew! I try to buy U.S. or Canadian made stuff when I can but sometimes you can't avoid buying Chinese made products they are so prevalent in our markets.

Beautiful knife ;)

Mc

Offline NAM70

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2008, 08:01:31 AM »
I believe Wilson also made barrels for some of the early Ruger #1's. If I remember correctly they weren't the most accurate #1's. Dave

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2008, 09:47:20 AM »
Fred, you got me worried there for a minute. I bought a NICE BIG Buck at Cabelas in Hamburg Pa. this summer on my way back from the Gettysburg battlefield. I assumed it was made in the U.S.A.  I just checked it-----it says U.S.A on the blade, whew! I try to buy U.S. or Canadian made stuff when I can but sometimes you can't avoid buying Chinese made products they are so prevalent in our markets.

Beautiful knife ;)

Mc
Some Bucks are made here and they are the higher priced ones. All Gerbers are made China.

Rick