Author Topic: advantages of 22 hornet over 22 mag???  (Read 2310 times)

Offline MOGLEY

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
advantages of 22 hornet over 22 mag???
« on: March 30, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
Never had either one. Brother-in- law has 22-250 and 22 mag and was wondering if a 22 hornet would be enough of an advantage to get. I know the 22 hornet has a large following but ballistic wise I have no experiences  pleas chime in on any and all thoughts. Thanks
Stupid Hurts

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: advantages of 22 hornet over 22 mag???
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 05:35:29 PM »
More bullet weight at a faster speed=more power, longer range, less wind drift and about the same price if you reload.  I like my 22 mag but still want a Hornet.  It's all good!  DP.
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline Bob A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 05:40:10 PM »
Like so many things -  It depends.
It depends on what you plan to do with the rifle. If you are going to shoot squirrels at 50 yards or less, the hornet may not have an advantage. Except for the pleasure of tuning your load to the best 50 yard squirrel getter possible.
If you don't reload, the hornet certainly doesn't give you any advantage. If you need more power or distance and you don't reload, get a 223. Store bought hornet ammo is much too expensive - imho.

But, if you are a reloader (or would like to be) and you want a fun, accurate and inexpensive rifle good for squirrel up to coyotes. The hornet may be just what you need.

Bob A

Offline Ireload2

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 05:58:50 PM »
One of the best advantages of the .22 Hornet is that you can get it in some really nice rifles that are known to be very accurate.
The selection of .22 WMR rifles is dismal. Most of better ones have been discontinued.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 11:28:55 PM »
If you reload, the 22 Hornet is definitely the way to go. It will cost you some where in the $14/50 range this includes case wear. 22 Mag ammo is about $11 or $12/50. There is definitely a few dollars/50 more performance out of a 22 Hornet. There is the satisfaction of "rolling your own". It has a longer range - some where in the 200 yard range with heavier bullets than a 22 Mag and the 22 mag is some where around the 100- 125 yard range. If you do not reload and shoot 50 - 100 times a year the 22 Hornet is still the better way to go. The difference in price is not that big of deal if you do not shoot a whole lot. If you are putting 500 rounds a year through your gun and you do not reload, then a 22 Mag is a nice cartridge. 22 Mags, in general, can be had in lighter guns than a 22 Hornet. If you are going to use it strictly for varmints, consider the 17 HMR. It has more range than a 22 Mag and ammo is just a little more. In general it is more accurate than a 22 Mag and you have a wide choice of guns to buy it in. I think the 22 Mag has an advantage over the 17 HMR if you are going to be shooting coyotes or other large predators and you restrict the range to 75 yards or so. Making a decision about which gun to get can be difficult. It is always a personal choice. No one can tell you which one to get. In general, the more power, the more versatile the cartridge is. There are always trade offs, like noise, tissue damage and cost.  As far as shooting cheaply, you can shoot a 223 almost as cheap as a 22 Hornet if you reload and cheaper if you do not and it is much more versatile. I have all four that I mentioned here plus a couple of more that fall in between the 22 Mag and 223 - the 221 Fire Ball and 222 Rem. It is a tough decision which to take with me on a wood chuck excursion. Either one will work for you, just keep their limits in mind and regulate your shooting to within it's limits. Good Luck and good shooting.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline bill439

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 06:18:52 AM »
The greatest advantage of the Hornet is that it CAN be reloaded.  If you go one step further and cast your own bullets, you can duplacate loads from 22 short up to real Hornet loads.  We use cast bullets and hunt small game in all of the small .22 centerfi;res.  Some of the loads we use only take 3 grains of powder--thats 2,333 loads to the pound.  Only real cost is the primer, so cost per shot is way less than 22 mag. and could be less than 22 lr if you pinch your pennys right.  One of my friends was squirel hunting and killed two coyotes with these type of loads in his .223   Good luck, bill439

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 06:46:03 AM »
Bill349,

What loads are you using?  I have 55 gr. cast bullets and am thinking of working up light loads for my Hornet.  I also have a couple hundred 40 gr. bullets that Winchester used in the .22mag. and sold as components in the 60's & 70's.   Is anybody out there using lighter cast bullets?  Where did you get them?

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 07:37:15 AM »
The hornet has more power and if you load (and with the price of hornet ammo it is worth starting) is far more versatile.

But!

You don't have to load 22 mag you just pay your money and get your ammo. If 22 mag get the job done then sometimes time is worth more than money.

As an example my hmr and khornet have the same usable range in a gopher field the hornet hit with far more authority but both reliably kill the critters. so in the time I have made 500 rounds for the khornet I have driven to the gun shop buy 500 then go to the gopher field and shoot alot of those 500 off before I am done loading. I look at costs 2 ways, dollar costs it is pretty close, Time cost, it is no where near.

The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline MOGLEY

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 09:22:12 AM »
I inherited some 22 hornet dies when a good friend passed along awhile back so I would add this to the list of my reload calibers. I currently am reloading for 9 different calibers! I did forget to mention he was thinking of using this for closer woodchuck and crow shots. His heavy barrel 22-250 is way to heavy to quickly haul out of a vehicle with and set up. He also is very fond of my cz in 222 and would like that caliber but is finding it hard to find someone willing to part with a 222. He found a NEF in 22 hornet new for $200.00. The light recoil and extra umph might be just what he is looking for. Thanks for all the input.
Stupid Hurts

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 09:57:35 AM »
Absolutely for those criteria, the hornet is a great option.

The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline njanear

• Avid Poster
    • www.geocities.com/njanear13
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 02:50:21 PM »
The main question that I would have for him is:  Does it fit his needs - within the letter of the law?   For example, here in GA, I am prevented from using a .22 Hornet on bobcat, fox, or small game (no centerfire rifles or handguns for any of those per the GA DNR Regs), so the .22 WMR is as strong as I can go.   I don't have any other niche that it is 'needed' for, so it would just be an expensive range toy in my safe.   If he isn't governed by such regulations, it definitely sounds like a fun cartridge (and looks really neat too  8)).

ETA:  Meant to mention above that regulations in the National Forest here (where I do most of my hunting) also curtail my caliber choice too for the various animals (i.e. can only use small game firearms on pigs during small game seasons - I haven't gotten brave enough to try my .17HM2 on a 200lb boar just yet  :o), so if it isn't private land that he is hunting on, he should watch those regs closely.
Njanear 
    12B/21B - Combat Engineer, the way to B           1985 - 1996 GaARNG
Atlanta, GA

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 11:02:18 PM »

I was thinking about a Hornet myself until my buddy showed the price tag on a box of shells. I can get .223 much cheaper. For that reason, I think I'll go with the .223.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline bill439

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 01:58:54 PM »
woodchukhntr, the loads I have used for my hornet is 3.5 grs unique with 225438 cast bullet for squirls and small game, buddy uses red dot down to 2.1 grs in his .223  we also have used the 225415 50gr bullet but the 225438 is a little more accurate in both guns.  hope this helps, bill439

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 04:19:52 PM »

I was thinking about a Hornet myself until my buddy showed the price tag on a box of shells. I can get .223 much cheaper. For that reason, I think I'll go with the .223.

You've got to be a reloader to get the best performance out of a Hornet.  Nothing at all wrong with a .223.

Offline saltydog

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 04:34:03 AM »
You question is interesting for someone who indicates they have a 222 (REM ?) and reloads for 9 different calibers. First of all you are not comparing similar cartridges - if you question was 17 HMR vs 22 MAG that would be apples and apples. Given your current status I don't really see how you would need either a Hornet or a 22 MAG. Cost of shooting your 222 is basically sixes with the Hornet and you did not mention you shot alot so annual coat savings with a 22 Mag would not be a consideration. You did not indicate if you own a 22 LR - if not then you should buy a quality 22 LR to compliment your 222.

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 05:03:46 AM »
I believe it is his brother-in-law who has the 22-250 and 22mag, and is the one considering the 22 hornet. ;)

The hornet can be more versital with handloading.  I just picked up a hornet myself, and would like to have some low vel lead and higher vel SPSX for other needs.  So far the SPSX 's have been a good load for me.  Still working on getting components for the low velocity lead.

Good luck.

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline MOGLEY

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 11:18:29 AM »
He and I have been discussing all kinds of options. Finding a 222 is a bit difficult so far in central MAINE he has found 2 for sale. Used Savages 340e going for $375.00 each. The latest idea is to give in and get a 223 stainless handi and work on reduced blue dot loads. He does not want a 223 at factory loads but it would be an option if he ever wanted to. My 222 is so mild shooting, he fell in love with it and wants one ( actually he wants that one) (( NOT AN OPTION)). ! Being able to see your hit thru the scope is addicting. I have been reading up on the reduced loads with Blue Dot and now wish I had not sold my 223 barrel. I told him if he is worried about buyer regret and not like the rifle, I would buy it off him. He has way to much will power! I would not be able to stand it this long.
Stupid Hurts

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 01:46:44 AM »
The price for the 340's is a little steep.  A new Stevens 200 in .223 would be a better deal.  A Savage 11 can be had for what the used 340's are going for, and you get an accu-trigger.  I've got one and love it.  I'm starting to work with Blue Dot, but haven't gotten to the range yet.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 11:35:30 AM »
800x seams to work better than blue dot for me in reduced loads, but both are very good at producing loads similar to sub sonic long rifle load on up to .22 hornet loads in my .223 I cast my own GC rounds and we figured to be loading for about a nickle a round or less. I am gonna get a heavier bullet mould  (around 60 gr) and see how it'll do.

That all being said I really like shooting my hornet also.  I have one case converted to use a shotgun primer, I am able to knock the primer out with a hand punch and just push in the primer stick a .22 cal air gun pellet in the neck and pop pest in the yard, Pretty accurate out to about 75 yards.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 04:52:19 AM »
That all being said I really like shooting my hornet also.  I have one case converted to use a shotgun primer, I am able to knock the primer out with a hand punch and just push in the primer stick a .22 cal air gun pellet in the neck and pop pest in the yard, Pretty accurate out to about 75 yards.

That is a great idea.  Have you chronied it?  Also how did you modify the primer pocket?  I am really interested in that.  You can PM if you like.

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 05:44:38 AM »
I haven't cronoed it but it zings out there pretty fast, As to the primer pocket its was simple as drilling out the pocket to a friction fit with the shotgun primer then filling the rim thinner because the primer won't let the action close on a full thickness rim, when you close the action the primer is sandwiched between the rim and the action face.

I don't think I'd try it with any powder but the primer seams to be plenty.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 06:48:13 AM »
Very good idea, I've never heard of it before.  I think that I'll try it with the .223.  I'll have someone machine the base of the case to let the primer rim fit flush.

Did you experience any leading from the pellets?  The velocity might be high enough for that to be a problem.

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2008, 10:07:21 AM »
 You know I don't think i ever checked for leading, but I kinda doubt it. I think it would blow the skirts off of the pellets if they are hot enuff to lead, but thats pure speculation.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2008, 10:39:43 AM »

Why would you use a shotgun primer?

Why not just do the same thing with a standard small rifle primer?

Or even a Magnum primer if you needed it to be hotter?

Thanks,
      Rusty <><

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 01:16:25 PM »
Regular primers just didn't have enuff punch to bother, the shot gun primers really send them zinging down range. Also after you make the case mods all you need to do a reload is a small punch, no press no primer tools.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 05:57:23 PM »

Why would you use a shotgun primer?

Why not just do the same thing with a standard small rifle primer?

Or even a Magnum primer if you needed it to be hotter?

Thanks,
      Rusty <><

I tried it today with CCI small rifle primers.  It clocked 344fps with a diasy 22 cal flat nose.  Very accurate tho at 20 ft.  That was with no mods to case.  I see where a 209 would be better.  It did completly flatten the pellet at 20 ft into thick magazine. 8)

Jerry

Offline njanear

• Avid Poster
    • www.geocities.com/njanear13
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2008, 05:51:32 AM »
Of course, you could always go here (http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm) and get an adapter to fit your needs, even to fire a .22 Hornet or .22 WMR through the .22/250.
Njanear 
    12B/21B - Combat Engineer, the way to B           1985 - 1996 GaARNG
Atlanta, GA

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2008, 06:25:42 AM »
at 344 fps you are approaching the velocity of the .22 cal Aquila Colibris (not the Super Colobris that I prefer) which IIRC is 375 fps. They are made up in .22 Short cases using the rimfire primer only and a pointed lead bullet. A lot of fun and quite accurate out to 15 yards or so....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2008, 06:38:45 PM »

You might try enlarging the standard flash hole a bit and try some magnum primers. The only caution here it to mark the cases in some manner so that you don't put a standard load in one of the cases with the larger flash holes.

If you do a web search on "cat sneeze loads" you find all kinds of ways to make ammo for indoor practice.

Is  a shotgun primer that much hotter than a standard primer?