Author Topic: Powder thrower trick  (Read 3742 times)

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Powder thrower trick
« on: April 15, 2008, 08:45:33 AM »
I load a lot of calibers and a lot of different loads, so keeping my powder thrower in the same place, or even trying to record where the adjuster is at would take too much time.  So last night, I was loading, and found a little trick.

First, weigh out the charge you are going to throw, and put only that into your powder thrower.  Make sure the adjustment screw is out further than the load is large.  After getting all the powder you can down into the measuring cylinder, just turn the adjustment screw until the powder has come to the top of the cylinder.  That should be just about the right adjustment, and then fill your hopper and throw charges to make the final small adjustments. 

Something I noticed that saved me some time...  hope this helps. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Powder thrower trick
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 11:41:32 AM »
Corbanzo, I guess you've been using your head for something besides a hat rack ;D.  I never thought of that but will have to try it out, but have to admit with so much practice with setting the thrower I'm getting a lot faster at it.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 12:12:26 PM »
Gona have to try that , thanks buddy .  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline chutesnreloads

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 02:38:35 PM »
And I was thinking of buying a second measure so as not to have to change settings.Thanks

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 04:18:13 PM »
That trick does work! and you do get better over time, no doubt.

The 2nd RCBS powder thrower came in very handy when I put the large drum in one and the small drum in the other. Keeps the larger charges closer together and also the smaller ones. Have to add neither thrower was self-purchased. One was a Christmas present and the other was my Dad's. Agree they aren't cheap. I've picked up an old 'new in the box' (at least as advertised) not sure if it was never used, Lyman 55 powder thrower. It's grey with an orange box and all the papers. It's been an adventure learning to read the scale and getting it going. Very different from the RCBS, but apparently very usable.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 02:21:16 AM »
Glanceblamm: "Hits forehead with hand and opens mouth"

Well Duh!!! why didn't I think of that!
I am juggling rifle and pistol calibers along with a fair assortment of powders and am too stupid to record those slide gate settings.  I will be sure to try your tip.
Thanks!

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
After all this time of listing adjustment settings for different powders and loads, and never being able to reliably duplicate a load correctly, and finally going back to the old-slow scoop and trickle each load into the scale, this obvious tip comes up!  All I can say for me is ...DUH!
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline chutesnreloads

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 02:28:12 PM »
Then again it would be nice to have a thrower set up just for that one .223 load that gets loaded the most by far.Then use this trick for the other loads.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 03:33:07 PM »
Get a second press for your bench.  Use one for sizing and the other for seating.  The stronger should be your sizer.  You might find that second press on eBay or at a pawn shop.  Get a second shell holder too and you'll make reloading a lot simpler with one die in each press.

Use a hand seating tool and you can seat your primers while watching TV from your recliner.  It's all by feel and doesn't have to be done in the workshop.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 06:12:41 PM »
WoW! a feller always overlooks the obvious,,cheesh  ::) Thanks great idea  ;D

Now all I gotta figgure out is how to get 4064 to toss!  :o
found elsewhere

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 07:07:09 PM »
Wow! Talk about a resurrected thread! Two Years! Good stuff just doesn't die!

I sold my third thrower to a pal who didn't have any, and just bought my 4th press! I am progressive in a single-stage sort of way. $5 each for the last two and came with priming arms (which I do use). The first two were inherited. I am set. Those last two were both Pacific 1934 Patents and came with interesting shellholder rams. The ram on the first will hold 38/357 and all the 308/30-06 families/ The ram on the second will do 30-30 family/356/41mag. I put a universal ram on the first, but now I'm tempted to put the old ram back in and sell the universal. It cost more than the two presses together. $9 plus $7 S&H.

Uh, 4064 won't toss right on - it will always have to be trickled unless someone knows a trick I don't.
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 03:56:06 AM »
I use mostly hornady measures anymore. they have adjust stem that is replaceable and you can buy a bunch of them and keep them set up in charges you use the most and just snap them in and go. Ive probably got 20 of the stems set up and it covers about 90 percent of what i do.
blue lives matter

Offline wncchester

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 04:56:48 AM »
"...trying to record where the adjuster is at would take too much time."

Goodness.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 08:57:11 AM »
I bought a used turret press for loading straight-wall handgun cartridges. I load .357 Mag and 38 Spl but I'm tired of messing with the expander and crimp die to switch between the two. I'm on the lookout for a used die set so I can have a dedicated set of dies for .357 and .38 in the same press. Heck, the set can even have a steel sizer since I'll use my carbide one for sizing both.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 09:15:29 AM »
Wow! Talk about a resurrected thread! Two Years! Good stuff just doesn't die!

This used to be called a "BUMP"...

You can spend DAYS searching the archives.  Sometimes you can get caught up in the finding of a jewel like this.  Instinct insists you make a reply.  You FORGET that you're 57 pages deep in the archive "resurrecting" a post - as you so succinctly said. 

Good stuff though...you gotta admit.

Offline 41 mag

• Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 12:53:15 AM »
This used to be called a "BUMP"...

You can spend DAYS searching the archives.  Sometimes you can get caught up in the finding of a jewel like this.  Instinct insists you make a reply.  You FORGET that you're 57 pages deep in the archive "resurrecting" a post - as you so succinctly said.

Good stuff though...you gotta admit.

Yep been there done that more than once.

But since it's here,

I use the Uniflow measures. I have around 4 of them. Two each are set up with each size drums. I use them for loading both on my progressive and for hauling to and from the range or country when working up loads. I got decent deals on all but one from e-bay. It took a while but getting them for around $35 was worth it.

They all have incrementally marked stems which I record the setting from the lock screw in whole numbers and added turns. One load might be 3+2 1/2 turns. This gives me a quick starting point and depending on just what I am loading I generally check the charge a couple of throws and go on with loading.

This method works out well for both rifle and handgun charges, but I do check the top end rifle or handgun loads with faster powders much more closely.

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 08:05:51 AM »
WoW! a feller always overlooks the obvious,,cheesh  ::) Thanks great idea  ;D

Now all I gotta figgure out is how to get 4064 to toss!  :o

I'm not trying to stray you from 4064, wouldn't ever do that.... buuuuutt 4007ssc throws pretty well and has very similar characteristics....
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 02:41:01 AM »
"...trying to record where the adjuster is at would take too much time."

Goodness.

Strange but true ;D

I do have light pencil marks here n there but they turn out to be cryptic and useless.

One thing that I will mention is that folks seem to have had a lot of trouble consistantly metering the flake powders as said here over the years.

The cure (for me) and using the Lyman #55 measure is to use the top slide only which creates a shallow, narrow trough. Meters great but we are talking pistol charges.

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 09:49:44 AM »
I use a Redding, it has a micrometer stem. Real easy. Write down where the marks are for certain powders, go back and am always within a 1/10.  To hard on the Dillion to see inside. Just trial and error. But, since I mostly stick with one powder, all I have to remember is what caliber I was loading previously, so as to back it out, or tighten it up. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline 41 mag

• Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 11:00:30 PM »
I have used the Uniflow's since I retired my pop's old Wells measure. With them the numbered stems are great and easily recorded when the final load is found. I premeasure the powder weights before heading to the range, set up and throw the charges with 1/4 turn or so increments, until I hit an accurate load or the max load where as I swithch powders if nothing worked out.

Once done I simply record the setting as 3+2 or 3+2 1/2 turns. Since each increment has 4 complete turns it makes it fast for set up and is usually right on the money with the weighed charge when I recheck them. When I use up the particular powder I recheck the loads at the range and if necessary adjust for the differences.

I load for a variety of rifles and handguns and having 4 of the Uniflow measures with the different sized drums makes it a breeze.