Author Topic: Pardner followed me home and it could be the basis for a new project!!!!  (Read 1169 times)

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
I picked up a used single shot for about $80 bucks.....It looked really lonely on the shelf.....I'm thinking about cutting it down to 18.5" to carry on my 4 wheeler....What do you guys think about this????

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
I think it would rank right up there with one of the best things you ever did and one of the better uses of $80.00....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline STUMPJMPR

I just wish i had my hobby lathe sitting in the shop so i could do it right....I been around machine shops for several years and now i don't work in that field anymore so it makes it harder to do these little projects.....

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Hacksaw (or pipe cutter, use little pressure), carpenters square, and a flat file, works great, go slow and don't force anything....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline STUMPJMPR

I think i will use the pipe cutter method...I don't feel like trying to get someone to do it for me in a lathe....Its alot of hassle dealing with other people....I'm thinking about adding rifle sights using epoxy or something like that i have read other people doing....I plan on shooting slugs in it also....I hope i can get decent accuracy out of the smooth bore...I'm also thinking about buying an after market stock and for end with a but pad or just adding a butt pad to the existing stock....

Offline STUMPJMPR

I got started on my project tonight....Stretching a string between the bead and the hammer worked great for finding center....I put my sights on and since i didn't feel like getting my friend to cut it off in a lathe I used a pipe cutter i had it cut off in 10 min or so....Cleaned up the bur with some sandpaper and it looks pretty good....I used the loctite blackmax to fasten the sights....It seems to set up pretty hard but you can still knock them off with a hammer while trying to drift the front blade into place which i found out the hard way....I will have to admit it was a pretty solid wack that took it off.....How do you think the Blackmax will hold up....I read about it in the FAQ's.....I think i would have done better with silver solder.....Trying to find center without the front bead was no easy task...I pretty much had to eyeball it....I really miss having a machine shop at my fingertips!!!!!!Well even with all the mishaps i am pretty pleased with how it came out so far...Its getting a trip to the range this weekend to see how it shoots then it will get a coat of duracoat .....I'll try and post some pictures when i'm finished with it....By the way 18 3/4" Barrel iis very short.....

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
STUMPJMPR: I had pretty good luck using J-B Weld to attach a Williams rear sight to an old 870 barrel. I soldered the steel front ramp, but the Williams base is aluminum, and so far, J-B Weld has held up to a lot of pounding from slug recoil (better than me, that's for sure!). I get best accuracy with Federal Tru-Ball slugs in a cylinder bore.  Let us know what round works best in your gun.

P.S. . . . I have shot a few slugs in a 28" Pardner.  The recoil is nothing to kid around about . . . it occurs to me that your 18.5" Pard is gonna kick you just a little bit . . .
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline STUMPJMPR

I have tried the winchester rifled slugs they only gave me about 5-6" at 50 yards....I have some remington slugs i am going to try soon to see how they shoot....If i don't have any luck...I'm going to try the federal tru-ball, or the Brennke, maybe even the b&p....You are correct about the recoil it rocked me pretty good...I shot 10 rounds and have had bruise for about a week now...I recommend the loctite blackmax it worked great but its like working with super glue....You must get it in the right place right away because it sets in about 15-20 seconds of contact...

Offline Photog

• Trade Count: (0)
We need photos!

Offline STUMPJMPR

I'll try to post some when i finish with it...I'm waiting on some duracoat to come in this week so i can paint the barrel..

Offline STUMPJMPR

Here is the finished product...I cut it to 18 3/4" and it will shoot about a 2" group at 50 yards with remington slugs but it kicks like hell.....

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
That's a great looking gun. Properly loaded there isn't much that gun couldn't handle.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
For hard kicking guns like yours I simply place one of the range "bean bags" across my shoulder for sighting in.  Plus you won't notice it nearly as much when you have a deer in sight.

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Stump: Whoa, that stock is mighty nice! The gun looks terrific! How difficult is that paint to handle? Does it require baking? You have done a really great job -- now I will have my eye out for a Pard that has seen better days . . .
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline STUMPJMPR

I didn't do anything to the stock...I just ended up painting the barrel...The receiver and the  barrel had a little rust...I couldn't bring myself to paint over the case hardened finish....the duracoat is very easy to apply all you need is a cheap airbrush...It does not require baking it drys almost instantly and cures over night....Its a 2 part part paint just mix it accordingly...degrease the metal using laquer thinner and you will need some acetone to clean your airbrush....You can buy everything from midway it will run you about $50 and its enough to paint about 8 guns...