Author Topic: Handled a couple ULSH's in 12ga and 20ga w/Ultragon Rifling yesterday! *6-21-08*  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
The 12 ga had a steel base that must have been silver soldered on, no screw holes. The 20 ga was drilled and tapped with a regular base installed. The Ultragon Rifling was very pronounced in the 20 ga, less so in the 12 ga for some reason. There was also a 12 ga and 20 ga USH next to them with the old rifling to compare the difference. That 12 ga just had 3" Rifled Bore on the barrel, the 20 ga STILL says Tracker II, 3" CYL Bore. I can't believe after all these years they can't buy a Rifled Bore stamp for the 20 ga, but that is the way it is. My 20 ga USH has a rifled bore and is stamped "CYL BORE" too.

Has anyone that bought one of these shot it yet? That 12 ga is lighter than a feather and must kick like a mule.

I think my USH will be collecting dust in the back of my safe with the price of the new slugs, I have deceided to load my own in the field.

This is my new slug gun, legal for all the seasons. Even though my USH is a tack driver, it just isn't this good no matter how I slice it.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,143163.0.html

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline MI.sabot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Busta:

I hear ya.  After the first trip to the range last year with my Sidekick ML, the 20 ga. USH went up for sale.
I couldn't justify keeping the 20 ga. for the same reasons....cost of ammo, similar ballistics to the ML, and most of all....my 20 ga USH was no where near as accurate as the ML.  And then there is the "just plain fun to shoot" factor associated with muzzleloading that just can't be duplicated in shooting a slug gun.

I will be spending some time this summer experimenting with different loads in the ML.  The early doe season here in MI this year will be a good opportunity to build some confidence going forward with the ML and may ultimately result in my 12 ga USH going up for sale as well.
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Handled a couple ULSH's in 12ga and 20ga w/Ultragon Rifling yesterday!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 03:18:50 PM »
I figured I would reserect this thread because a lot of people are asking about the availability of the Ultra Light Slug Hunters. I handled both a 20ga and a 12ga way back in mid-June, and they both had the Ultragon Rifling.

They were out there at about the time H&R/NEF was being moved to Ilion, but Remington may have not made any since the move. I haven't been in the store where I seen them lately, so I don't know if there are any still available or not. I plan to visit this store over the holidays, if I do I will update whether there  are still any left.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline buckshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
I bought the a 12 gauge USH (SB2-980), which has the old rifling, and mounted the Nikon slughunter scope.  The main reason I stuck with the old rifling, rather then getting the Ultragon rifling was because of how light it was.  I was afraid if I bought the ULSH in a 12 gauge it would kick like mule.  So I stuck with the USH, which weighs 10 pounds. It does not kick.  Their has been range reports of guys shooting the 20 gauge ULSH at 100 yards.  I have not read the post in a while but from what I recall the patterns were the same.  It was posted in the last couple of months. 

Hope this helps

buckshooter     
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan