Author Topic: Remington says: No More .357 MAX Brass- Updated  (Read 2665 times)

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
Remington says: No More .357 MAX Brass- Updated
« on: September 04, 2008, 01:57:56 AM »
Sent an e-mail to Remington asking if they still made, or were going to continue to make, .357 MAX brass.
Received this reply:

"Thank you for visiting Remington Country! We certainly appreciate you taking the
time to write in with your question.  I am not aware of Remington making any of
this brass for some time now."

Don't sound good. Anybody got any friends at Starline who can press them into making MAX brass?

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Remington says: No More .357 MAX Brass
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 02:30:20 AM »
I am well below speed on the .357 Max...
Was there big throat & barrel erosion issues with this caliber?

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 02:34:13 AM »
I am well below speed on the .357 Max...
Was there big throat & barrel erosion issues with this caliber?

Yes, in revolvers using light bullets.
The MAX is a sweet round in a single shot rifle or pistol using 158 grain or heavier bullets.
Will do everything a .35 Remington will do and more.
Actually much more popular now than when introduced by Remington/Ruger.

alan

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 02:46:52 AM »
Sounds like a good deal as our State is considering the current legal handgun calibers to be used in rifles for the deer hunting.

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 02:56:19 AM »
Sounds like a good deal as our State is considering the current legal handgun calibers to be used in rifles for the deer hunting.

Only two problems:
1. No company makes loaded rounds.
2. Apparently, no one will make brass.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 03:22:32 AM »
Thats not a good thing as 2 of my Handi's need that brass , one is the 357 barrel and the other is the 224GNR which is formed from 357 Max cases .  :(

Its a good thing that I still have 200 new cases and 300 formed cases to work with , time to start scrounging the gun shows .  ;)

If the necks start to split from over work I can still cut them down for 38 spl or even form 22 Rem Jets with them .  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Chilachuck

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 04:17:58 AM »
Oh, crud. Thanks for the warning.

Does anyone carry it in stock?

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 04:37:55 AM »
Midsouth and Midway both show that their out of stock , but Midway says that back orders are OK, don't hold your breath though .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 05:16:19 AM »
Only two problems:

Dan Wesson Max ammo is still available and GBO Sponsor Reeds carries it and may have the brass too.  ;)

Tim

http://www.reedsammo.com/

http://www.bullseyeshootingsupplies.com/default.aspx

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 05:17:16 AM »
Midsouth and Midway both show that their out of stock , but Midway says that back orders are OK, don't hold your breath though .

stimpy

I talked to Midsouth when I was up there last week buying the last 250 pieces of MAX brass they had.
They basically said the same thing you did "don't hold your breath". Apparently Remington keeps putting them off on answering when, or if, they are going to make more MAX brass.
I sent another e-mail to Remington trying to clarify. Hopefully they will respond in a day or two.
The quote I had in my first posting is a cut and paste directly from their response.

alan

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 05:19:29 AM »
Only two problems:

Dan Wesson Max ammo is still available and GBO Sponsor Reeds carries it and may have the brass too.  ;)

Tim

http://www.reedsammo.com/

http://www.bullseyeshootingsupplies.com/default.aspx

Thanks, that's good to know.

alan

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
Re: Remington says: No More .357 MAX Brass- Updated
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 11:31:24 AM »
(E-mail to Remington Customer Service 9/4/08 9:15 AM)

Yes or No question:
Will Remingtom offer .357 MAX Brass for retail sale (directly or thru retailers such as MidwayUSA)?

Response (Ron) - 09/04/2008 05:25 PM   (From Remington)
Dear Alan,
No!!

Guess that settles it.

alan

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 12:26:44 PM »
Guys I just did a search for 357 Maximum brass and found there are many, many places showing the stuff in stock.  Here is just 1.  Try the search.  I'd say it is still out there even if nothing new is coming.  I'd suggest calling any of these places and talking to a person to make sure they had it before I ordered though.

http://www.chestnutridge.com/products/brass.asp

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 12:50:26 PM »
THANK YOU!!!

I just ordered 200 pcs. I "think" I have a couple hundred, but if its going obsolete, I can stand to have a bit "extra" on the shelf!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 01:17:14 PM »
Chambering my 357 to a 357 Max does not look very appealing to me all of a sudden. :( Looking like a 357 Herret or 35 Remington now. It will not pass the Indiana deer laws, but I can use it for other things.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 02:01:12 PM »
Chambering my 357 to a 357 Max does not look very appealing to me all of a sudden. :( Looking like a 357 Herret or 35 Remington now. It will not pass the Indiana deer laws, but I can use it for other things.

Actually it will as long as you shoot it in a handgun like the Contender, but you are correct in a rifle configuration.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 02:08:35 PM »
Cambering my 357 to a 357 Max does not look very appealing to me all of a sudden. :( Looking like a 357 Herret or 35 Remington now. It will not pass the Indiana deer laws, but I can use it for other things.

DONT GIVE UP!! You will be missing out on an AWESOME cartridge!!!  Just stock up on Brass!!  Couple hundred cases should EASILY see the average guy thru an entire lifetime shooting!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 02:41:30 PM »
I have 150 cases setting in a box. I cut down 50 to 360 DW or I would have had 200. I have meaning to rent a reamer for it, but just have not got around to it yet. Whew! I just do not like the fact that I would have a gun I could not buy brass for, or at least make from something, even if I had a few to start with. I think I will start working with the 44 Mag some more - they are not going away ;)

Go figure - 35 Remington is OK for a hand gun, but not for a rifle ??? A 7mm-08 is OK for a handgun at 2700 fps, but not a 35 Remington in a rifle at 2200 FPS ::)
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Chris Potts

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 02:46:24 PM »
I have 150 cases setting in a box. I cut down 50 to 360 DW or I would have had 200. I have meaning to rent a reamer for it, but just have not got around to it yet. Whew! I just do not like the fact that I would have a gun I could not buy brass for, or at least make from something, even if I had a few to start with. I think I will start working with the 44 Mag some more - they are not going away ;)

Go figure - 35 Remington is OK for a hand gun, but not for a rifle ??? A 7mm-08 is OK for a handgun at 2700 fps, but not a 35 Remington in a rifle at 2200 FPS ::)

I'm worried and I've got five hundred cases.  I am thinking about getting another five hundred.

Chris

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 03:01:49 PM »

Not sure what the Regs are for you over there but you may be able to do something like the 357 / 44 Bains & Davis or even the 356GNR if need be , myself I'm still going with the Max reamer even if I have to load 357 Mags long  .  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 04:14:57 PM »
I just finished reaming my .357 Handi to MAX. Third one I have had. I got rid of the other two and have regretted it both times. This one I am keeping. The Max is, by far, my favorite gun. In my last Max I was able to shoot everything from subsonic 38 special loads, quieter than a .22 Long Rifle, to 2300 FPS Max loads.
I've got about 100 loaded rounds and 250 pieces of new Brass from MidSouth, plus another 200 brass on the way from Graffs. Should last me a lifetime.

alan

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 01:39:00 AM »
LaOtto

The regs have been updated since I last looked.  Turns out the Max is now legal in In. in a rifle.  Take a look at the DNR link below.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/files/fw-Deer_Hunting_Equipment.pdf

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 01:56:30 AM »
I had the impression that there was laws on the books that auto manufacturers were required to supply parts for their creations for a certain number of years. What a crock that the big firearms companies can get away with something like this, it's almost planned obsolescence. I know the politicians have 0 interest in protecting us folks who cling to our guns and Bibles( I'm not sure I'd want them to) but you would think that there would be some corporate responsibility.

This is one reason I don't even give these new whiz bang cartridges a second look. I would like to use a gun for a few years before some CEO decides it is obsolete.

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 02:07:07 AM »
Just wanted everyone to understand that this post is intended to inform only, so that all could stock up on MAX brass. It IS NOT meant as a slam aginst or rant against Remington. I ran a business for many years and understand that sometimes you just have to cut your losses. If Remington couldn't make money on MAX brass, then they had to either stop production or raise prices.
Business is Business.

alan

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2008, 03:46:59 AM »
How much could it cost them to continue to make 357s a little bit longer? Yes, they might loose a few dollars on the deal, but how much did they spend promoting the max when it came out, and how much are they spending promoting their other new whiz bangs that they will drop as soon as they cost a few dollars more to make than they are bringing in.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2008, 04:21:13 AM »
Alan

We both know that if Remington never made another piece of Max brass that it could still be found , Their are lots of other long Obslite rounds that you can still find cases for .

Gun shows , estate sales & auctions are still good places to look , sometimes at really good prices too .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline jsoukup

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2008, 04:41:32 AM »
I put in an order for 200 with Graff's last night too. Website still shows it in stock. Now I just need to get my Handi back from Remington.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2008, 07:45:19 AM »
How much could it cost them to continue to make 357s a little bit longer? Yes, they might loose a few dollars on the deal, but how much did they spend promoting the max when it came out, and how much are they spending promoting their other new whiz bangs that they will drop as soon as they cost a few dollars more to make than they are bringing in.

I do understand your gripe, I really do, but you need to see it is MOOT and move on.

Here is the facts:

1) We now know its discontinued.

2) We now know there is some brass still available.

3) Best of all, we know where to get it.

SO, maybe you (and everyone reading this) should, GO BUY SOME already.  ::) ;)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Chris Potts

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2008, 04:02:50 PM »
I order some more brass.  I should be set for the next couple of lifetimes.

Chris

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2008, 10:33:20 AM »
Brass will likely always be available from some source for it. When enough wholesalers put in orders for enough quantity for them to make another run they will. Both Remington and Winchester do this from time to time on my now obsolete rounds. It requires folks to ask their dealers so the dealers ask the wholesalers and so on. They aren't in the mood now cuz there are perhaps hundreds of thousands of them certainly tens of thousands of them still in dealer or wholesaler hands at this time and until they are gone and a new demand is created they are not gonna make them just to sit on someone's shelf.

The round is not now and never has been very popular so you can't expect them to make the brass up and hold it in stock hoping someone will buy it especially when there is plenty on shelves now.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!