Author Topic: newest gonne  (Read 461 times)

Offline Don Krag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
newest gonne
« on: September 18, 2008, 12:20:41 PM »
Here's one I finished just before moving down to Houston/Katy. I figured I had the camera out for insurance pics after Ike, I might as well snap some pics of the gonnes. :)

This one is .498 with an oak haft made from a tree off our property up in Bryan. I was really impressed with the grouping off this one at 50 yards. With the longer barrel, the power is substantially greater than the little tiller gonnes as well! Unfortunately, living in a subdivision now, my smoke and fire pics will be limited to trips up to the old house until we sell it!

Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: newest gonne
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 01:51:07 PM »
Do you make any larger bores ? What are they made from ? I've always admired that old gonn w/ the "Jesus" head at the flashpan . Maybe .750-1.00 (w/ very small charges) is what I'm thinking . Alot like the bottom gonn in the in the bottom pic.

rocklock
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Don Krag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 02:02:36 PM »
The bottom one is 1.1", the other two are .50". I have a couple cannon/mortar in works as well, up to 6" cal. I start with either seamless tube or solid rod and bore it out. Banding, carraige parts and such are usually 19th century wrought iron. Hopefully I'll eventually have a room big enough to display all of them!
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 02:10:05 PM »
Sweet ! I'm starting to look around for a Howie . Like a King or Spanish as shown by Herns . I'm thinking 2.250 and maybe a smidge of windage too . Maybe 15-20" OAL with a chamber , proly 75-100 lbs .

Thanks rocklock
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.