Author Topic: .458 FTX at the range 2200FPS  (Read 581 times)

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
.458 FTX at the range 2200FPS
« on: February 09, 2009, 08:29:55 AM »
Tim if you don't want this post here please move, but this here is my "family" so wanted to post here.

I loaded up some FTX with H4198 to an average of 2169fps for ten shots.  Using 24" barrel on T/C pro-hunter frame. Ya It kicks a littlesince its about six pounds.

I shot a couple rounds into a wet box of of continuous printer paper.  I'm pretty sure this is a pretty tough test for a bullet, so take it for what its worth, but the bullet turned inside out, giving up its core and only leaving a trace of lead on the  petals of the jacket.  Penetration was between 6.5 to 7 inches, at 50 yds.  I repeated for a know deer slayer, the factory loaded Winchester 300gr Jsp.  It chronied at 1778 and penetrated 5 inches at 50yds, and almost stayed together.  The shock to the paper happened sooner with the JSP, within the first inch, but the end result of the FTX was dramatic.  The "wound channel" was basically shredded paper from 2.5" of the impact to the end of travel point of the bullet.  Accuracy was so so at around 2" at the 50yd mark and the factory open sights.  No noticible velocity change or accuracy was observed  when using Lee Factory crimp die, or when left uncrimped.

I then shot into the paper arranging the stack so that the bullet passed between the layers of paper instead of head on into each sheet.  I hoped it would allow some of the expansion pressure to release and get a better picture of the performance.  The "wound channeL" was different in that the expansion showed almost immediately and the bullet almost passed through the paper.  The recovered bullet apperared nearly identical having almost all lead removed from the empty jacket cup.  I'll get the bullets to the scales latter and weigh.  Here's some pictures for worth their worth.  Picture phone. :-[

Jerry

[yt=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wt8SpLy8wZ8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wt8SpLy8wZ8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: .459FTX at the range 2200FPS
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 10:29:59 AM »
Works for me Jerry, thanks for the report, think I'll stick with the Nosler 300gr PP or the Barnes TSX-FB.  ;) That's obviously why Hornady's LE 450Marlin ammo is rated at only 2225fps.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 02:47:44 PM »
Ya,...probably have excellent results with those Barnes. ;)  Anybody have the BC (ballistic coef.) for this FTX bullet?

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 02:59:08 PM »
It's on the Hornady FTX  page, .230,  they're also listed as .458", do they measure .459"?

Tim

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=789

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 03:02:40 PM »
I probably got lead on the brain... ::)  I'll measure but you're probably right.  I can't get this utube to work... ::)
Jerry

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 05:28:32 PM »
It's working now!!  ;D

Tim

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 12:25:38 AM »
Thanks Tim, and yes the do measure .458  I'll edit my subject line.

Anybody chrony those LE's out of a 22" tube yet?

Jerry

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Re: .458 FTX at the range 2200FPS
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 11:01:51 AM »
I didn't weigh that particular one before shooting it but they are 325.0 to 325.1 on my rcbs scale.   For what its worth, the recovered FTX remained  at 102.6 grains. :-\  I lost the 300gr winchester so I didn't get to weigh it. just following up is all.  Thanks for looking!

Jerry