Author Topic: Todays Project--Linstock  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Todays Project--Linstock
« on: February 26, 2009, 12:16:29 PM »
Some time ago I saw this linstock for sale on a some Civil War Collectors website.

I saw that and saved the picture for a future project.  I though I would get a dowel and chuck it up in  my lathe and make a linstock.

When I was over in Kalispell I went into Lowe's and was looking around for the copper parts to make the funnels and I notice the balusters.   I picked up a couple of balusters that looked interesting.  The longest of each type that was availalble

One, prepainted and with a square top is 42 inches long, the other unpainted in an oakish looking bare wood with a round top.

The cotton card  I am using for slow match is 1/4 inch.  So like in the real linstock I drilled a hole just up from the bottom of the top section.   I made this hole 1/4.  I found that i could not get the slowmatch cord though the hole, probably because of chemicals it has soak up.  So I drilled the hole ot to 3/8.

A little further up the top section I drilled a row of holes. I cut the thop off at the top hole. I used the saw to cut between and connect these holes. Then with a rasp I opened up and tapered  the holes to make a wedge shaped slot.

I added my slow match to finish the linstock.

I am going to shoot my Mortar this weekend and test these two linstocks out.  Just testing them here at the house, the short one is to short for the low laying mortar.  But it looks like it will work just fine with the Cairo Gun, the Parrot rifle,  and the SAMCC field gun.

I still haven't worked out the spike.  I am thinking about a Copper cap. Drill a hole in the end of the cap and run a short heavy nail the hole. Put some epoxy in the bottom, slip the cap on the end and cross pin. 

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
Re: Todays Project--Linstock
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 02:21:44 PM »
Nice work there Doug!! Paint, stain or linseed that is the Question on yee handles?  :D

Offline Double D

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 03:37:01 PM »
We will have to see which one works better.  Probably linseed oil for the oak one like the original.  Maybe black enamal for the white one.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 04:57:56 PM »
Deja vu! When I scrolled down and saw those old linstocks you found on a Civil War website for sale, I had a flashback to...the old one piece wooden clothespins! Just happen to have a bag of them lying around, so, with a copper slip/slip fitting like the one you used on your "funnel project", (except straight) and a dowel rod about 3' long, a 3/8" drill, a bit of wood glue, and there is a pretty cool linstock. Just fortunate enough to have found them at a yard sale! And, add a copper pipe end fitting, with a hole drilled for a nail, and you can "stick it" wherever you need close to either your cannon or mortar! Thanks for the idea and pictures, Double D! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 11:27:38 PM »
 “…and the nimble gunner with linstock now the devilish cannon touches, and down goes all before them.”

Henry V Act III, William Shakespeare
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 02:36:17 PM »
     Thanks to DD for reminding us that we don't have a linstock yet for our proposed Monstre Mortier.  Gee, what style should we go with?
How about French of the late 18th century or early 19th.  Do not have a design yet, but it will be French traditional, with a double snake's head and spear-point design about 7 to 8 feet long for balance during long-distance lighting.  The design is due at the blacksmith shop on Monday, so we better get going!

A mention of the linstock from a British point of view and recalling past glories such as Trafalgar:

The Fighting Téméraire

by Sir Henry Newbolt

It was eight bells ringing,
            For the morning watch was done,
            And the gunner's lads were singing
            As they polished every gun.
            It was eight bells ringing,
            And the gunner's lads were singing,
            For the ship she rode a-swinging,
            As they polished every gun.

Oh! to see the linstock lighting,
            And to hear the round shot biting,
            For we're all in love with fighting
            On the fighting Téméraire.

Regards,  Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 04:54:59 PM »
Stirring lines by Sir Henry Newbolt! Thanks, Mike and Tracy! And a great line by Shakespeare from Henry V, Victor3! What a concept, a double snakes head linstock, with historical accuracy, no doubt! This forum has it all! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Double D

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 11:09:27 AM »
The linstock worked quite well with the quills I made.  The combination quill and linstock works much better than butane lighter and green fuse.

I will have to do some work on the short linstock.  The slot needs a cross pin to keep the slow match from falling out of the slot.  I didn't try the short one for this reason as well as having to "reach" to get to the quill. The white one was so much easier.

The long linstock worked quite well, I just need a spike on the end to stick it in the ground. The snow bank work real well yesterday.  I think I will also shorten the fingers a touch.