Author Topic: Lathe safety...  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Lathe safety...
« on: April 22, 2009, 11:55:45 PM »
 DD & CW, I hope it's not inappropriate for me to post this here. Please delete if you feel that it is.

About a year ago I posted concerning a lathe accident at my job where a guy I work with lost part of his finger when a rag wrapped around it, twisting it off.

The link below has some pictures of what could have happened that day; the lathe that removed the finger wasn't much smaller.

I've noted that a few guys here making cannons on lathes have less experience with them than others. I would like everyone operating them to understand that they can easily maim or kill you if basic safety rules are neglected.

The pics are graphic, so don't open them if you're not prepared to see a very gruesome fatality.

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60391

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Lathe safety...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 12:46:18 AM »
Appropriate.  I modified one word in your post.

Very graphic.

I've watched people die.  (after their car became a convertable)  This ranks up there for memorability.

The thing to remember are the rules of safe operation of machinery.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 01:20:34 AM »
maybe I'll take a peek AFTER breakfast

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 01:56:16 AM »
I've seen this posted elsewhere and if you take things for granted or become over confident
bad things can happen with big power tools,  UNFORGIVING comes to mind................
on another site one of the members posted that he had gone to the local machine shop and found
the police there, it seems the machinist had the piece of round stock fly out of the chuck and kill him.
accidents happen and it's always the "other" guy they happen to............ it's best to check and double
check things before turning on that lathe, loose clothing?......... don't become the other guy.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cornbelt

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 08:39:33 AM »
I've often wondered what might happen if...       Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go fix my lathe. The safety shut-off which isn't working.

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 02:36:35 PM »
Hmm... maybe I should put the blade guard back on the table saw also.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Josco

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 03:07:47 PM »
Oh yes, blade guard is always on my saw and never, never leave the chuck wrench in the lathe chuck or drill press!!!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 03:16:22 PM »
Is this why the books always say to wear cotton clothing? 

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 04:27:09 PM »
I had a "moment" when it dawned on me that day in and day out I shouldnt work as a machinist .

finishing climb cut and needle chips on a bridgeport :o
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 03:33:13 AM »
 One horrible thing (as if having your skull crushed like a grape isn't bad enough) about dying like this poor guy did is the fact that he may have had a few seconds to think about what was going to happen to him...

He was standing in front of the machine with the work at about the level of his belly. Something on his apron/shop coat got caught up in the work and it started peeling off, dragging him down and into it. When it got to his chin.... Well, use your imagination as to the contortions his head and upper body went through as it went under. I wouldn't care to hear the sound, let alone see it.

For this man's sake, I hope the machine was running at very high speed. Imagine being alone in your garage, threading a bar at 60 RPM and not being able to stop it, then having your Wife or kid find you. Hopefully you'll be long since dead when they come in and stop the spindle if it's past the point you can be helped.

A few lathe safety tips:

1. Never wear gloves, rings, bracelet or watch.

2. Wear short sleeves and tight-fitting clothing with nothing (rags, tools etc.) hanging out of the pockets. Tuck shirt in. Tie back long hair.

3. Never use a rag to clean a turning workpiece.

4. Never reach over the rotating chuck. If you have to file the workpiece close to the chuck, do it left-handed.

5. Never take your hand off of the chuck key when it's in the chuck.

6. Don't engage in conversation with anyone while manually operating the machine.

7. When turning between centers, make sure that the carriage never contacts the tailstock.

8. Before turning the spindle on, put it in neutral and turn it one revolution by hand to make sure that everything turning clears everything attached to the carriage.

9. Be aware that the chuck jaws become nearly invisible at high RPM.

10. Practice using the emergency stop/brake until it becomes second nature (also goes for feed control handle positions).

11. If something comes loose while the machine is running, get away from it! Yell to others in the area to do the same.

12. Hold the workpiece deep enough into the jaws so that it can't come loose. Use a center in the tailstock whenever possible on lightly secured or long work.

13. Be sure that all machine accessories (lights, coolant lines, safety sheilds, etc.) are secured so they can't be caught up in the spindle.

14. Have enough light on the entire work area.

15. Don't allow an air line or electrical cord near the spindle.

16. Set the spindle to the lowest RPM practical for the work.

17. Don't set anything on the ways or carriage during operation. If something is set on the headstock, make sure it can't fall onto the chuck.

18. Don't release a part from a collet setup into your hand while the spindle is turning.

19. Don't index a turret or toolholder too close to the chuck.

20. Don't use a strip of emery in both hands around the work in a 'shoe shine' hold. Don't polish an inside diameter using your finger; use abrasive on a dowel.

21. Don't run an off-center, heavy workpiece (4 jaw, faceplate, etc.) at high RPM.

22. Double check the mouting of the chuck (especially cam-locked ones!) before turning on the spindle. Don't assume that the other guy mounted it properly.

23. Avoid producing long, stringy chips whenever possible, and never remove them with your hands. Don't allow a "bird's nest" of turnings to accumulate on the chuck/workpiece.

24. Don't extend cutting tools out of their holders longer than necessary, and secure them with enough screws (2 minimum) so that they can't come loose.

One thing to remember when operating any machinery is to stop what you're doing if something doesn't seem right. Trust your gut; it's often a good indicator.

Did I forget anything?
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 04:33:19 AM »
     You made a very complete list, Victor.  I can think off only two more.  From actual experience, actually Mike's, DO NOT let a small dia. rod shaped workpiece hang out of the headstock too far.  Mike was just turning a small chamfer on a 3/8" rod in a 13" X 40" bench lathe in our old shop 20 years ago and the work hockey-sticked on him.  I was there only ten feet away.  The result was that then end of the rod went up thru a multi-drawer plastic box on the wall which held about 40 lathe bits, creating a Vesuvius of lathe bits shooting to the ceiling where they broke 3 or 4  36" florescent light bulbs and several ceiling tiles.  All of this debris then rained down on everyone within 15 feet.  He was not hit by the bent rod.  Darn lucky there.  Mike did not panic and hit the Emergency stop/brake which worked within three revolutions.

I was walking by a  Bridgeport Series 2 one night at an unnamed computer hardware factory and  suddenly a lathe bit buried itself into the shop wall with the engineering offices about 10 feet ahead of me!  Before using a Fly-Cutter, for goodness sake TIGHTEN ALL THE SET SCREWS which hold the tool in the body!

Thanks for the list, Victor; there are some very important cautions there.  Short sleeves and left handed lathe filing for me from now on!

Thanks!

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 06:00:11 PM »
 Victor, thanks!  I may be speaking for more than myself in saying that I'm self taught in lathe operation and from your list I see I need to change a few of my habits.  A wake up call for sure and it is greatly appreciated.  Dom

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 06:39:06 PM »
Victor3,

All good reminders, especially for some of us who do not use a lathe

every day, I will relay two things I witnessed - same person both times.

never over tighten your live center into your work,  this man had hearing aids and would turn them

off because the florescent lights made a humming noise, result he couldn't hear the high pitched

screaming coming from the live center that was the only time I have seen one burned up!

On another occasion he was cleaning a lathe and was wiping the feed screw down with a rag......

Yes he turn the dang thing on! I guess his guardian angel was watching out for him because he managed

to let go of the rag before it dragged his hand into the flopping mess. Some people should not be around

power tools........
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 01:32:52 AM »
Victor, thanks!  I may be speaking for more than myself in saying that I'm self taught in lathe operation and from your list I see I need to change a few of my habits.  A wake up call for sure and it is greatly appreciated.  Dom

We especially want you to stay safe Dom. Who would make our stuff if you got killed?  :(

Here's another tip, since you do a lot of welding on round parts (you probably already know about this one) - Don't arc weld on a workpiece chucked in the lathe using the machine as part of the welding circuit. Juice going through the headstock can fry bearings, gears, etc....

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 02:23:29 AM »
  From actual experience, actually Mike's, DO NOT let a small dia. rod shaped workpiece hang out of the headstock too far. 

I saw that happen on a CNC lathe once. Bar feeder wasn't working, so the operator had cut his 3/4" steel bars in half (to 6' long). ~3' of the bar was sticking out of the machine, so he tied a rag to it (good practice if the bar isn't turning at 1000 RPM!)

I was in my office and heard a strange "ching-ching-ching-ching" sound. The bent bar end was barely contacting the ground as it swung around. Fortunately the control panel was far enough away that the machine could be safely shut off.

Even though I've always been one or another kind of  "safety cop" wherever I've worked, I'm not immune to stupid at home...

Years ago I had the table (~250 lbs?) off of my Bridgeport to replace some lube lines and clean the X screw/nut. After I oiled up the dovetail nicely, I picked it up and tried to line it up with the saddle. It got out of balance, slipped out of my hands and hit the floor, taking out a chunk of concrete inches away from my flip-flop clad foot.

Sherlock Holmes

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 11:10:43 PM »
well Im sitting with my breakfast now , those pictures is not so good to look at when eating .

but they are very good warning examples of what can happened if you not are careful enough .

when I start learning my machine skills we had an 4 inch long piece of pipe attached to the lathe with a switch in the bottom , so you couldnt start the lathe without having the chuck key there .

doesnt prevent this type of accidents , but its still an good safety device to have it that way .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline wvdad

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 04:07:44 AM »
Those pictures make me take notice every time I go to the shop now. I have a couple teenage sons that want to learn the trade and I could never really relay the dangers because they had seen dad do it for years with no trouble. The worse injuries I ever witnessed was a guy using his finger to knock little build-ups of rubber off a roller while chucked up and running a toolpost grinder on the roller. Yep, finger went between the diamond wheel and roller and his finger didnt even mess up the finish. ;D. Course I saw a guy get a piece of cherry red 1inch hss tool bit to the neck, he had got a hickey the night before and didnt want his wife to see it. Guess the burn was easier to take than her wrath :o