Author Topic: 44 mag barrel arrives  (Read 750 times)

Offline yipper

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
44 mag barrel arrives
« on: June 26, 2009, 04:50:26 PM »
Gents,

It has taken a winding road, but my 44 mag barrel has finally arrived.  I ordered it back in the 1st week of February when the order form still showed it available with front and rear sights, which is the way I wanted it.  In early April Customer Service told me it would be ready shortly but only with scope rails; sights were not an option.  About a week later I was told that the arrival of the barrels was uncertain, but that I could order front and rear sights installed for $65, which I asked for.  Two weeks later I was told that 44 mag barrels had been discontinued and that I needed to select a different caliber or they would send back my receiver.  A couple of days later I was told that the barrel had been shipped.

The barrel arrived with scope rails.  There was also a large chip knocked out of the stock I had sent in with the receiver, but a new stock was included along with it (the chip was mainly cosmetic damage, but I had customized the stock by making it a straight grip).  I called customer service and reminded them I had ordered the installation of sights for the extra $65.  They sent me a call slip and I sent the barrel back.  I received it yesterday with front and rear sights installed, at no cost.

Remington’s Customer Service came through in the end, even if they were obviously going through some “adjustments” along the way.  20-minute waits on the phone in April gave way to almost immediate human contact by June.  All of the personnel were pleasant, if not always seemingly well informed.  I treated them the way I wished to be treated, and was persistent. 

I still have work to do on this project, mainly install a WGRS aperture sight, do some stock modification, and a minor tweak to fit the barrel to a different receiver.  I had originally intended to just swap the barrel out with a 30-30 handi that I have, and ordered it fitted to that receiver, but decided I would be better off with a whole new rifle (who wouldn’t?).  Now if I could just find some ammuntion.  No one in the area has any, and I have some back-ordered with Cabela’s.  But I expect all to be well in time for Louisiana’s primitive weapon season this fall, which is what the rifle is intended for.

Best wishes to all.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: 44 mag barrel arrives
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 05:38:55 PM »
I am glad that it all worked out for you. If you can get your hands on some Winchester 240 grain Jacketed Soft Points - they shoot well out of my 2007 model 44 Mag. I load just about every thing I shoot, but I took a chance on these 240 grain Winchesters (cheap - relatively any way) and they shot better than any thing I loaded. It has been reported to shoot well out of others H&R guns too. Run over a chronograph they clocked right at 1800 fps. Should knock a deer flat. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 05:41:56 PM »
Congrats, finally!!  :D Mine shoots the Hornady Leverevolution 225gr very well, give em a try too.

Be sure to post your experience in the Ilion Satisfaction Poll sticky  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 05:43:45 PM »
So despite your problems, they threw in an extra stock?
I am glad they made it right by you, enjoy your 44! they are a ton of fun.

-Aaron

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 08:17:29 AM »

Yipper,

Congratulations on the barrel. I need to get a WGRS for my .44 as well. You might try your local Wally World for your ammo, but here's the trick. They never know what ammo they'll be getting or when it coming. Get in there early in the morning since they stock shelves all night long and try several days in the week. Eventually you'll hit it right.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 02:42:07 PM »
Midway has .44 Mag LeverEvolutions 225 gr. in stock $18.49/20.  I ordered them this past Wednesday and had them on Friday.  Shipped the same day as ordered.  You can't beat that.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 04:50:36 PM »
Went to Dick's 3 hours ago. Limits on some handgun loads, but not on .44 Mag. Left with 2 boxes of UMC 180gr at $36.99 each. They had at least 30 boxes to sell and would have sold me as much as I wanted. Also plenty of AE 240gr at $39.99 a box. Natchez has those and Blazer in stock at quite a bit less. Hunting season being closed by me (except for varmints), I'm perfectly happy to plink.