Author Topic: Accuracy Help.  (Read 1539 times)

Offline oldguy65

• Trade Count: (0)
Accuracy Help.
« on: August 01, 2009, 07:32:13 AM »
Ok I've followed all advice I can find on board and my 22 Sportster remains with some problems, shooting
at 35 yards 3-12x44 scope I will get scattered patterns, I added the plastic washer to forearm,rubber ring,
removed plastic on front of forearm to relieve pressure, added shims to forearm varied screw pressure.
Without forearm I get good groups so where am I going wrong. When forearm is placed on gun I feel some
minor pressure appears the lug may not be centered Ive considered enlarging hole,help or hurt.?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Accuracy Help.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 08:28:05 AM »
Handy Basics 101 in the FAQs.  ;)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline oldguy65

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 08:42:56 AM »
Handy Basics 101 in the FAQs

Noted and read but hoped someone many have additional ideas per my questions.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 08:51:41 AM »
I'd be checking the scope base and mounts as well as using a known good scope to eliminate those possibilities, then contact H&R, their standard of accuracy is 2" groups at 100yds, dunno if that applies to the 22Lr tho, but I'd contact them about it if everything else checks out including checking the crown for defects and making sure the latch and shelf are clean and dry, no oil.

Tim

Offline oldguy65

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 10:50:06 AM »
Thanks for the help, tried two scopes both are good. Will check other items you stated, I did check the crown appears ok. Will contact H&R see what they can do.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 03:53:18 PM »
Try a SIMMS Barrel DE_Resonator. It worked WONDERS on mine!!

SAME ammo, SAME shooter, SAME distance, SAME gun. Both groups shot minutes appart.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

NO FUNNY BUSINESS!! I didn't want it either, but the proof is in these pics, the flipping thing works!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline oldguy65

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 05:07:02 AM »
May try the Simms,certainly got to admit it is an ugly thing but if it helps I don't mind,in its present
form gun is no good to me, I won't use anything with this poor of accuracy and certainly would not sell
to anyone.

Tried all tips including combinations of ammo including match.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 08:30:18 AM »
you shoot it with no forearm, good groups - you shoot it with the forearm on, bad groups.

"When forearm is placed on gun I feel some minor pressure, appears the lug may not be centered"

Sure looks like the forearm is the culprit to me. Try enlarging the hole and centering the countersink for the screw head and I believe you will be good to go....<><....:)

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 05:22:32 AM »
CWLONGSHOT
What distance?
Thanks
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 06:41:05 AM »
he said:

"shooting at 35 yards 3-12x44 scope I will get scattered patterns"

....<><....:)

Oops!! sorry, my mistake, I thought you asked about what distance the OP shot at....
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline oldguy65

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 11:30:05 AM »
Sure looks like the forearm is the culprit to me. Try enlarging the hole and centering the countersink for the screw head and I believe you will be good to go....<><....

Did that, minor improvement, get two rounds dead on next two will shoot high 2.50 inches, it is a forearm issue, tension is  incorrect but I'm at a loss. I removed plastic from front of forearm did not help, checked
and changed scopes same results.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 01:35:49 PM »
Quote from: snapcracklepop link=topic=179322.msg 1098871408#msg 1098871408 date=1250349752
CWLONGSHOT
What distance?
Thanks

IIRC it was 25 yards, but may have been 50'... :-[ :-[ I don't remember. That is the two "stops" on our indoor range system @ the club.

To reiterate, I don't like the look and truthfully, didn't want it to work. BUT the proof is in the pudding they say. Ant those groups are worth a thousand words. Flatly, the freaking thing works and works well on this barrel!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 02:41:46 PM »
Did that, minor improvement, get two rounds dead on next two will shoot high 2.50 inches, it is a forearm issue, tension is  incorrect but I'm at a loss. I removed plastic from front of forearm did not help, checked
and changed scopes same results.

Did ya check the scope base and rings to make sure they aren't moving? It's recommended that the base be remounted following the info in the FAQs. See the Handi Basics 101, make sure you're closing the action firmly each time and pull the trigger all the way to the rear each time.  Shoot it without the forend to eliminate the forend pressure to see how it does, if it shoots good without it, more forend work is needed.

Tim

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 04:15:12 AM »
Tim, he did...

...Without forearm I get good groups so where am I going wrong. ...
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 05:01:55 AM »
 :D

Offline oldguy65

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 08:49:27 AM »
Purchased a Sims Resonator this morning fired two groups at 40 yards with two different ammo types both were a 1/2 inch, what do you know a gimmick that works. Thank you CWLongshot.

Just a thought here, would like to see H&R add a heavier barrel for this gun, not certain it would be a cure all but would perhaps better control the vibration levels in this type of setup(two piece stock).

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 09:08:37 AM »
They did make one, the Ultra, but it was discontinued due to poor sales, send em a letter, maybe if they get enough requests they'll make em again or make some more accessory barrels.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/about/contactus.asp

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 03:15:53 PM »
Purchased a Sims Resonator this morning fired two groups at 40 yards with two different ammo types both were a 1/2 inch, what do you know a gimmick that works. Thank you CWLongshot.

Just a thought here, would like to see H&R add a heavier barrel for this gun, not certain it would be a cure all but would perhaps better control the vibration levels in this type of setup(two piece stock).

I'm glad it also worked for you!!! It still is a DAMN UGLY THING!!  LOL  ::) ;)

CW

NRA LIFE Member