Author Topic: Built my first Savage Today!  (Read 1579 times)

Offline taylorce1

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Built my first Savage Today!
« on: August 28, 2009, 04:00:34 PM »
Well I got my rifle put together today, well kind of anyway.  I still got to put a scope on and put a finish of some sort on the metal.  Probaby a matte black Gunkote but it doesn't look half bad right now for a walking varmint rifle.  Hopefully she shoots as good as she looks right now.

Stevens Stock painted forest green.
SinArms 20" chrome moly barrel 6X47 (6-.222Rem Mag)
Sharp Shooter Supply Competition recoil lug and trigger, as well as their Tac Knob.

Considering I started with this!

I don't think I did half bad! ;D

Offline wganz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Built my first Savage Today!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 04:57:33 PM »
Looks good.  8)

That 6mm round should do good on white tail under 200 meters too with good shot placement.

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 07:20:18 PM »
I like the contrasting recoil lug/barrel nut.  Maybe same green or even silver gray barrel paint?  Keep us posted as the project continues.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline taylorce1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 12:46:18 AM »
Looks good.  8)

That 6mm round should do good on white tail under 200 meters too with good shot placement.

Not too many white tails around here in CO plus I have to use a minimum of 70 grain bullets for deer and pronghorn to be legal.  This will pretty much be a coyote and prairie dog rifle.  I can't wait to see how my Nosler 55 grain BT do out of this rifle.

I like the contrasting recoil lug/barrel nut.  Maybe same green or even silver gray barrel paint?  Keep us posted as the project continues.

I don't think I want to go green on the barrel, however a simulated stainless finish wouldn't be a bad idea.  Kind of kicking myself for not going with a stainless barrel.  I guess I'll know better next time! ;D

Offline the jigger

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 05:16:43 AM »
I am not familiar with your barrel but I have done 3 similar Savage/Stevens conversions; 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, and 220 Swift. All are "shooters" . I used two Savage take-off and one ER Shaw for barrels. I hope you are as satisfied with yours as I am with mine.
I like your idea of black Guncoat. The black/green contrast will be excellent.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 11:52:18 AM »
Looks good.  8)

Not too many white tails around here in CO plus I have to use a minimum of 70 grain bullets for deer and pronghorn to be legal.  This will pretty much be a coyote and prairie dog rifle.  I can't wait to see how my Nosler 55 grain BT do out of this rifle.

I don't think I want to go green on the barrel, however a simulated stainless finish wouldn't be a bad idea.  Kind of kicking myself for not going with a stainless barrel.  I guess I'll know better next time! ;D

Looks like a cool project. Another option would a few layers of some clear coat Krylon.... I have used it and if you want to simulate SS it looks great and hold up quite well..

-Aaron

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 01:48:37 PM »
VERY nice.. :o

I loves me some 6mm too   ;D
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline taylorce1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 03:45:33 PM »
Feeling a little rushed since I just didn't have the time I wanted today to mess with the rifle.  Since I spent all day yesterday bedding my .25-06 in a new stock.  Anyway I got about three hours today to load up some rounds and take my rifle out to shoot.  Loaded everything with 55 gr Nosler BT, H335, CCI 400, and RP Brass, loaded to Mag length.  I did all my shooting off of a portable bench at 50 yards, and was fighting a 15mph wind at about 75 degrees.  I think when I get to spend more time with the rifle I'll be able to improve these groups especially when I can get to a good bench with sandbags.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 03:58:06 PM »
Nice job!!! SinArms chambered and crowned my 17 Fireball Shilen barrel for me about 2 months ago. It's a real tac driver. I have it headspaced on a Stevens 200 action and the stock is also the Stevens 200.

My only recommendation to you would be to change out the plastic trigger guard with a Stainless Steel one. The metal trigger guard's are easier to torque down and IMHO look nicer and can take a bit more punishment.

Dave

Offline taylorce1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 01:34:06 AM »
Nice job!!! SinArms chambered and crowned my 17 Fireball Shilen barrel for me about 2 months ago. It's a real tac driver. I have it headspaced on a Stevens 200 action and the stock is also the Stevens 200.

My only recommendation to you would be to change out the plastic trigger guard with a Stainless Steel one. The metal trigger guard's are easier to torque down and IMHO look nicer and can take a bit more punishment.

Dave

I'll think about it, but right now I got a lot of money spent so I need to just shoot it right now. 

Offline vabowhntr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 06:04:05 AM »
I really like the stock color, which can was it specifically?  Is it the textured paint?

Offline taylorce1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 07:28:33 AM »
http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/49-266-decorative-spray-paint/rustoleum-multicolor-textured-spray-paint-656645.aspx

This is the paint I used.  It isn't a plastic paint so you will need to use a plastic primer with it.  I still need to clear the job as it does scuff easily.