Author Topic: NEF 20ga ultra vs ultralight slug gun  (Read 3991 times)

Offline Ronbo1

• Trade Count: (0)
NEF 20ga ultra vs ultralight slug gun
« on: November 29, 2009, 03:48:14 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site. Has anyone had a chance to shoot both the ultra (heavy barrel) and the ultra light slug guns in 20ga.? I'm wandering how much difference there is in the recoil, and if the extra weight of the heavy barrel makes that much difference with ranges of 100 yds or less. I'd like to order one of these guns this week. Not sure about the scope yet.Thanks   

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
Re: NEF 20ga ultra vs ultralight slug gun
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 02:12:53 AM »
The Ultra light kicks like a mule but I have found no differance in accuracy. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 08:27:45 AM »
I have shot both and prefer the Ultra Light, previously called Tracker II. They both have some recoil but it is a moot point when hunting. When sighting in or practising, I just let the gun push me around, and have no problems. I use a bath towel folded a few times on my shoulder to lessen felt recoil and it also simulates my heavy parka I wear while hunting.

I use the stiffest recoiling 20 ga. sabot slugs made and don't have any problems. I have not as of yet seen any of the new ULSH with the Ultragon rifling for sale anywhere here. (WI) You might end up buying what is available or buying online. You can't go wrong with a Tracker II if that is all you can locate.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 09:06:03 AM »
I have shot both and prefer the Ultra Light, previously called Tracker II.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/ultraSlug.asp
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/tracker2.asp

The Ultra Light and Tracker II are not the same gun.
Both are current models.

Spanky

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 12:57:14 PM »
I have shot both and prefer the Ultra Light, previously called Tracker II.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/ultraSlug.asp
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/tracker2.asp

The Ultra Light and Tracker II are not the same gun.
Both are current models.

Spanky
Right you are but, the new offering is very seldom seen, I think Kurt might be the only one that I know that said he has one. The difference is the no sights and the new rifling. Other than that I see very little difference. I should have said the predecessor was the Tracker II.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 01:13:28 PM »
I wish Remington would bring back the smoothbore Trackers. :-\

Spanky

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 03:01:04 PM »
I wish Remington would bring back the smoothbore Trackers. :-\

Spanky
ditto, I want one more!
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 04:10:52 PM »
I love my smoothbore Tracker I's and would be happy to trade a 12 guage Tracker II with a scope rail for a Tracker I 20 gauge barrel with anyone willing to do so. Cannot beat the Tracker I's for up close and personal thick woods hunting from touching distance out to about 75 yards, and thats conservative....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Ronbo1

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 05:22:32 PM »
Thanks for the info. Not sure what to buy now. I just got my Son's 20ga Rem 1100 outta mothballs and shot it a few times. Not to bad for a smooth bore. I'm going out with it tommorow.  ;)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 05:28:22 AM »
that is a little heavier and longer/bigger than a Handi but it should work just fine...best of luck....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Hozer

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 03:21:54 PM »
Just bought a 20 ga ultra light slug hunter from Gander for $199.  It has a black synthetic stock (not shown on the website) it also says Pardner Tracker II on the barrel.  I figured Gander had mismarked the tag, so I called H&R.  Eric in cust service indicated he had just researched the issue for another potential customer and as such he rattled off a few things unprompted that answered my questions.  The guns were made in 2008 (which after having it home and looking at the serial number codes on line, he is correct), the barrel does have 1-28 ultragon rifling, despite what the barrel stamp says, the stock is monte carlo (just like the website shows for ultra slug hunters and unlike the tracker II's straight comb).  He also assured me that the 20 ultra light kicks less then the 12 with the heavy barrel.  I was thrilled by what he told me so I went back to gander and bought one that night.  The box from H&R does indeed say ultra light slug hunter and the model on the bar code label say SB1-S24 (I may have the letters out of order - not looking at the moment) just like the website. 
I put a nikon 2-7x32 on it and I can't imagine wanting to carry another gun during a long still hunt. Light weight, points like a dream.   All black -  I call her buck-nasty.   There's one left at Gander on the North side of Indianapolis....

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 05:56:37 PM »
Just bought a 20 ga ultra light slug hunter from Gander for $199.  It has a black synthetic stock (not shown on the website) it also says Pardner Tracker II on the barrel.  I figured Gander had mismarked the tag, so I called H&R.  Eric in cust service indicated he had just researched the issue for another potential customer and as such he rattled off a few things unprompted that answered my questions.  The guns were made in 2008 (which after having it home and looking at the serial number codes on line, he is correct), the barrel does have 1-28 ultragon rifling, despite what the barrel stamp says, the stock is monte carlo (just like the website shows for ultra slug hunters and unlike the tracker II's straight comb).  He also assured me that the 20 ultra light kicks less then the 12 with the heavy barrel.  I was thrilled by what he told me so I went back to gander and bought one that night.  The box from H&R does indeed say ultra light slug hunter and the model on the bar code label say SB1-S24 (I may have the letters out of order - not looking at the moment) just like the website. 
I put a nikon 2-7x32 on it and I can't imagine wanting to carry another gun during a long still hunt. Light weight, points like a dream.   All black -  I call her buck-nasty.   There's one left at Gander on the North side of Indianapolis....
Good report, let us know how buck-nasty shoots~!

Offline Ronbo1

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 02:53:31 PM »
Thanks carbineman. I can't wait to here your report on how your new toy shoots. Thought I had my mind made up and then I saw the new Savage 220f bolt action. Still, there's just something about a single shot, maybe because that's what I first hunted with.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 03:28:24 PM »
Thanks carbineman. I can't wait to here your report on how your new toy shoots. Thought I had my mind made up and then I saw the new Savage 220f bolt action. Still, there's just something about a single shot, maybe because that's what I first hunted with.

ronbo1, I was quoting Hozers text, he was the one with the new gun he named buck-nasty.

Offline Hozer

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 05:40:51 PM »
Buck Nasty won't be fired until after Christmas when I'll have some time to go to the range.  Any free time I get before then will be spent in the woods with my bow or my now semi retired Omega.

I will however report.  I have 3 boxes of Winchester Supreme Partition Golds.  I'm hoping the 1-28 twist can keep the 2000 fps under control.  If not, I'll have to downgrade to Remington green tips or the Hornady SST.  I hear they both group tight out of this gun....

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 05:09:23 AM »
The 3" Partition Golds are all we use in our 20's. Good round for the single shot

Offline Hozer

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 03:18:25 PM »
Thanks Carbineman.  The 2 3/4 partitions worked well in my 12 ga semiauto too.  It didn't like the 3" which is good, because my shoulder liked them even less...