Author Topic: Sizing for the Handi  (Read 652 times)

Offline possum6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Sizing for the Handi
« on: December 07, 2009, 02:24:59 PM »
Why is it for some Handi's you have to full length size? I don't claim to be brilliant :-\ but I just don't get this. Every cartridge I fire through the .243 will not close-up once it's fired ???. What I mean by close-up is no day-light showing.  The .223, neck-sizing is all it need's ;D.
I believe everything that happen's, or will happen,was created, or created in the future, GOD knew and created from the very beginning of the foundation of the universe.       Dale

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Sizing for the Handi
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 02:40:02 PM »
High pressure chamberings near max will flex the internal action and you end up with brass that's too long to fully chamber, so you have to FL size and push the shoulder back just a little to get them to chamber and allow the action to lock up completely, the 223 has less breech thrust due to the smaller case head, so less case growth.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline possum6

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 02:55:06 PM »
I understand the pressure thing, I found out I have better result's with starting load's. Is this normal with starting load and shallow seating depth. I don't mind to fl size, would like to only neck-size though.
I believe everything that happen's, or will happen,was created, or created in the future, GOD knew and created from the very beginning of the foundation of the universe.       Dale

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 06:05:32 AM »
I have found every gun has it's own mind. Some like high pressure and some like low pressure. I found that Handi's GENERALLY like medium type of pressure, but that is not always the case. It really does not take a whole lot of pressure to stretch a case. it depends on case design as well as pressure. 22 hornets are notorious for stretching cases, even lower pressure rounds. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 11:34:18 AM »
I agree with Booth , all but 2 of my Handi's like mid pressure loads to shoot best , the exceptions are the 22 Hornet that likes low pressure rounds and the 22/250 that has to be hotrod'ed .

The chamber on the 250 is tight enough that I can just Neck Size and still get desent case life , while the Hornet will only last about 3 loadings before the case's are junk , no matter how I size them .

I have not found any real advantage to one type over the other as far as sizing goes , except for the 250 , so I just FL size to avoid any issue's .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 12:13:30 PM »
You are also subject to barrel fit with the handi.  If it is not fit quite right, it can be a little sloppy and a full house load can lock up your action.  You can also have problems closing the action if brass fired in a loose action is only neck sized because it grows.  (Also leads to case head separation.)  Another reason to make sure your barrels are properly fitted to your action.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline possum6

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 02:18:21 PM »
As far as I can tell,no problem with barrel fit, everything lock's up tight and no horizontal movement when action is open. Alway's have to trim the .243 brass though after one firing.

Offline fr3db3ar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 02:44:14 PM »
If I take a 80 grain bullet and barely set it in the case enough to hold it, in my 223 heavy barrel....I still can't get the bullet to touch the lands.  I gave up on that with this one.
Aim Small, Miss Small

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first.

Offline Trapper-Jack

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 03:19:09 PM »
My 243 Handi does the same thing.  I was raised with bolt guns where fire formed cases gave the best accuracy.  I tried this with my Handi (first single shot) and accuracy was very poor.  I tried neck sizing and partial FL sizing.  No good results.  Finally I noticed that I was not getting consistant lock up.  With some rounds the action would close easy and others I would have to really slam the action shut.  I began sizing just enough so the gun would close up easily and fully - that's where I began to get my accuracy.  I quit worrying about it.  Thats what the rifle likes and that's just the way it is.
Thanks,
Trapper Jack

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 04:45:03 AM »
  To me, It still sounds like you have some excess movement between the pivot pin and the standing breech of your handi. Take the forend off and see if you can feel some play in the locked up barrel, try some feeler gauges in between the barrels breech face and the standing breech of the frame.
If it will close and lock up with anything more than .003 feeler between them I feel it's to loose.
Also try a slower powder and load for best accuracy, forget about the velocity it will be enough.
The only non wildcat chambering I have left in my handi's is the 280 Rem. I handload the casings using LEE collet dies and usually get at least 4 loadings before I have to bump the shoulder back, thats using near book max loads of very slow powder and they EJECT nicely.
Your 243 should be no different.    Jed
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,