Author Topic: The Journey: Ultra Varmint 22-250  (Read 3739 times)

Offline arg2761

• Trade Count: (0)
The Journey: Ultra Varmint 22-250
« on: January 03, 2010, 06:51:30 PM »
First, I want to thank everyone in this forum for sharing their knowledge…or for asking questions, causing others to share their knowledge.
Either way, thanks go to you all!

I received my H&R Ultra Varmint 22-250 (SB2-F22) on 8/22/09. My very first rifle, at the tender age of 48. I paid $240 for the rifle, $30 for shipping, and $30 for the FFL.

From the H&R website:
Black synthetic stock with vertical adjustment knob, adjustable recoil pad, and adjustable bipod mount. 24" fluted bull barrel. Sights Scope mount and hammer extension; no iron sights. Length 40", length of Pull 14-1/4", weight 7 lbs.

Since the local outdoor range, Trail Glades (Dade county, FL), was closed for upgrades (Aug thru Dec '09), I decided to use the “time off” to do research on what could be done to improve my Ultra Varmint. I wanted to do the work before taking the first shot. That’s when Graybeard came in.

I thoroughly studied the Handi basics 101, FAQ’s & Help. In addition, I searched and reviewed topics that picked my curiosity.
I settled on the following, in order of appearance:

Handi-Rifle Trigger Work by Perkloafm. Trigger pull went down from 3.25 lbs to 2.50 lbs. I did not stone the hammer or trigger, to bring the pull lighter; decided to heed Perkloafm’s and Quickdtoo’s warnings.

Made a “manual extractor notch”, as per Fred the Reloader and Wildcatter.

My Handi has a first generation extractor. I honed all contact surfaces, as Quickdtoo suggests for ejectors. Improved function.

Polished chamber. Improved function.

Fitted the scope rail as explained by Quickdtoo.

Prepared the barrel as per Jim Shults’ “Barrel Prep for Super Accuracy”.

Got a “Center Point” Adventure Class 4-16x40mm, from good old Wal-Mart. Checked the scope’s centering with a mirror. Mounted it on Burris Signature Zee rings (medium).

On 10/11/2009, I went to Markham Park Range (Broward county, FL) and “fire” lapped the Ultra using Tubb’s final finish. Used 3 finest grits only, as per Fred Bohl’s “Rifle Bore Lapping/Polishing”, Fire-Lapping New commercial barrels.
BTW, between the low load, heavy weight and, perhaps, lapping compound, these bullets do not seem to stabilize. They leave funny little shapes on the target.

On 1/3/2010, the range reopened. I took the Ultra to “bore” sight the scope. The scope was off to the right approximately 20” @ 100 yards. I used the Burris Posi-Align® Offset Insert (± 0.20) to correct the deviation. I did not adjust for windage or elevation. Wind was less than 10 miles NNW. Downrange points due North. Temperature was 59 oF.

These are the results after sighting. @ 100 yards, Remington UMC JHP 50gr:

Keep in mind that in thirty years or so, I have fired a rifle once (about 8 months ago). It was a Marlin 336 (35 Remington), awesome classic! BTW, it was this experience that prompted me to get a rifle. However, cleaning the lever action prompted me to consider the sophistication of a “less-is-more” design, such as it is found in an H&R.
But I digress…

Back to my results. Perhaps not the most impressive; nonetheless, I’m quite pleased by them. The fun part is, of course, there is opportunity for “user” improvement, which I’ll be working on as the year progresses.

Here are some pictures of the finished product:

Customized weight: 10 lbs, 10 oz.

Cost (excluding tools):
Rifle$300
Rifle Case$16
Bipod$43
Stock bolt$15
Scope$75
Scope Rings$50
Misc.$3
Total$502

Again, I like to thank one and all for this excellent forum.

Happy New Year!

argon

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: The Journey: Ultra Varmint 22-250
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 09:18:25 PM »
Good shooting buddy. ;D
As you get more familiar with the rifle and it gets broken in those groups should tighten up even more.
It's a nice looking setup too. ;)
I saw them scopes at Wally World. Are the optics nice and clear on it?

Spanky

Offline arg2761

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 01:55:21 AM »
Spanky:

Thanks!
I get the feeling I need to be "broken in" as well.  ;)

I am having a difficult time with the eye relief. It's probably lack of experience/exposure.
Besides that, optics look clear and sharp (speaking with the benefit of limited experience).
For a beginner like me, with small budget, it's probably Ok.

argon

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 04:16:50 AM »
I would bet there are fellas that would be happy with those results that have been shooting for years.  Good job and good luck.  ;)

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 04:26:03 AM »
Eye relief can be different from a bench/bipod setup, sets your eye further back. Nice setup and great price on the gun. IMHO you don't need a $$$ scope for range use. It ain't getting wet or dropped on rocks. I found hanging a bipod out front makes closing the action a little weird. Did you?

Offline torpedo179

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 04:40:54 AM »
Good job and good shooting. Enjoy it!!

Offline mrbgt

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 05:14:05 AM »
looks great! I love the look of these rifles .I just recently picked up that same scope , its clarity is on par with my 4-12x40 sportview and sportsman bushnell's (which is pretty good for the $) , it is a little clearer than my newer world class and varmint tasco's . You can save $6 if you order from wal mart online and pick it up in the store  ;)

Offline arg2761

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 10:47:18 AM »
wreckhog:

It seemed to work for me.

Holds itself open.

Muzzle had good clearance.

argon

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 01:55:25 PM »
argon,
i have 4 of them centerpoints...and they are very nice and clear. and the mildot reticle
and the a/o are a must for various distances of shots.
2 are mounted on a ruger 10/22 and 10/22 magnum. 1 is on my most accurate handi
7.62x39. and the other is on my next accurate .223 bull.
before i put one on my .223, it was on my 45/70....just to see how it would hold up.
over 300 shots from the 70, did not harm the centerpoint. so if it passes that test, there good to go..
all of mine has never had a battery in them, so i can't tell ya bout the red/green reticle.
i think you have done well in your handi build.... and i know you will be glad you went that route.
good job... ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline arg2761

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 04:59:43 PM »
***WARNING***

Make absolutely certain the magnetic strip of the torpedo level is free of debris.

Somehow mine got some debris and while calibrating the B-Square bubble level I scratched the side of the receiver.
In addition, the magnetic strip is not very strong and tended to move around  before settling. I would make sure that I get a level with a strong magnet to avoid moment.
I have used this technique several times without any issues. I bought this level specific for this purpose (never used it for anything else).
I must have placed it on a dirty surface and debris embedded itself in the soft plastic-like magnetic strip.

***Use caution with this technique***

One thing I forgot to mention.
Before “bore” sighting, I vertically aligned the scope’s crosshair and the rifle’s receiver. I attached a magnetic torpedo level to the side of the receiver. It showed when the receiver was vertical:

To make the scope’s crosshair vertical with the receiver, with the help of another level, I placed a piece of paper with a vertical line on a wall, about 14 feet away.
With the receiver in the vertical position, I aimed at the line on the paper and rotated the scope until the vertical crosshair aligned with the vertical line on the piece of paper. At that point, I carefully tightened the rings, checking constantly that the crosshair did not shift as I tightened.

-0-

To insure the receiver is vertical when firing, I added a B-Square bubble level that attaches to the weaver mount. As you can see in the picture, the bubble is not level on the white mark, even though the receiver is level (as per the torpedo level):

I will have to tinker with the B-Square level so it accurately shows when the receiver is level.

argon

Offline bikenut64

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 05:54:39 PM »
Well I have to say the way you leveled your scope is neat. I plan on using that to redo my scope on my handi. I guessimated level by eyeballing it couple years ago when I bought it. I think your way is better...

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 07:00:46 PM »
Nice shooting and a great report! Welcome to the addiction! ;D

Robert