Author Topic: Postal Shoot?  (Read 18370 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Postal Shoot?
« on: January 17, 2010, 08:09:32 AM »
Anyone interested in an annual South Afrcian Miniature Cannon Club style postal shot?

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
Re: Postal Shoot?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 08:35:17 AM »
Postal?  Details please.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 10:28:09 AM »
Postal?  Details please.

NOT 'going postal'.   ;D

NOT shooting the Post Man.   ;D

But a shootin' match held across the nation (maybe international ?) wherein each person shoots the prescribed course of fire and submits the targets for scoring.

And, yes!  DD has my list of suggestions via email.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline dynomike1x1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 12:02:31 PM »
Bore sizes?
There are very few probablms that can't be solved with explosives.
2/115FA

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 01:11:09 PM »
I think you should post all the rules so people can determine if they can comply.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 01:37:11 PM »
20 MM?  40MM? rifled? ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 02:28:18 PM »
>>Bore sizes?

>>I think you should post all the rules so people can determine if they can comply.

>>20 MM?  40MM? rifled?

DD - I think there's interest! 

Guess what!  The rules have yet to be determined.  DD will crank them out in due time.  Until then, what's your pleasure?  I think DD was thinking about small bore - 1" and below.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 02:36:38 PM »
Anyone interested in an annual South Afrcian Miniature Cannon Club style postal shot?

WAIT a minute!  We'd have to modify the rules from them!  ONE person lit all of them!  THAT is TOO FAR for anyone to walk - a couple of thousand miles between us alone!!   ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 03:36:24 PM »
SAMCC Shoot.

Smoothbore Cannons under .800
6 shots, best 5 score,  shot twice
B17 target
25 yards, no sights
Touches the line scores the the higher value.

Two targets total score of the best 5 rounds each target.

The end.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 05:50:02 PM »
So we are shooting for score, not group size.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 06:06:29 PM »
Yes, score.

Offline Double D

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 06:23:42 PM »
If we do this I'll furnish the targets, since it's not real easy to find B17's.

Something else I just remebered The Cannon club doesn't shoot at 25 yards, they shot in front of the 25 meter bench.

Looks like 9-10 feet in front.  so we shoot from 22 yards. :)

Anybody interested?

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 06:36:53 PM »
Yeah; what about the time frame?
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 07:52:31 PM »
Send Targets! Three of us here ready for this, 2 @ .69cal, 1 @ .75cal, 1 more at .75cal, how many is that?  BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 12:49:53 AM »
DQ'ed on caliber.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 12:53:20 AM »
DQ'ed on caliber.

Dairy Queen?   :-\  We always stop at the DQ on the way home after a shoot.

Perhaps, if the time is right, you might have time to BUILD !  ;D  (Like me.)
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 01:35:17 AM »
Time limit? How ever long it takes you to fire 6 rounds, change targets and fire 6 more rounds.  Don't forget, rapid fire isn't safe.  Don't forget the Braai doesn't start until you are through shooting.

No Gun?  If we do this it's will be an annual event and targets won't be due until September or so.  Plenty of time to make, buy, or acquire one.  Also will serve as an excuse or incentive to make, buy, or acquire one.  

It might also promote sales for our sponsor or encourage others  to expand their inventory.  

So we could have three activities going this year; Seacoast Artillery's Nano Cannon Build, the 1st. Annual Gray Beard's Outdoors Miniature Cannon Club Postal shot and cannon calender.  GBOMCC goes Postal will have new meaning.  ;D

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 02:22:49 AM »
Now this sounds like fun.. Great idea!

Offline Double D

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 04:42:42 AM »
Now the hard part, would you pay to shoot.

The targets cost about $.57 each, you'll need two.  I not sure what postage is but the the online postage computer says a large envelope at 2 oz. is $1.05. I'll go tot he PO tomorrow and verify that. That come's to 2.19.  Plus I have to buy the big envelopes to send them at around $.50 each.  Let's just say for discussion purposes $3 to enter, of course  subject change once I learn the actual cost of everything.

It's easier to stuff 3 one dollar bills in an envelope and send them to me, than 2.69 cents. The change will go in my 401K.

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 06:25:12 AM »
I've been considering building a .50 for some time now, since I have a mold and shooting/cleaning accessories for my .50 BP rifle.

Maybe this is just the incentive (excuse) I need?

If I do build a .50, it will probably be larger than scale and underbored, so it should make a good shooter.

You specified "no sights." Are plain round muzzle discs considered sights?

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 07:07:12 AM »
Time limit? How ever long it takes you to fire 6 rounds, change targets and fire 6 more rounds.  Don't forget, rapid fire isn't safe.  Don't forget the Braai doesn't start until you are through shooting.

No Gun?  If we do this it's will be an annual event and targets won't be due until September or so.  Plenty of time to make, buy, or acquire one.  Also will serve as an excuse or incentive to make, buy, or acquire one. 

It might also promote sales for our sponsor or encourage others  to expand their inventory. 

So we could have three activities going this year; Seacoast Artillery's Nano Cannon Build, the 1st. Annual Gray Beard's Outdoors Miniature Cannon Club Postal shot and cannon calender.  GBOMCC goes Postal will have new meaning.  ;D

Since we don't have a gun under 1", I guess we will be observers unless we find time to build something.  We did plan on making a couple more of those 24 Pdr. Flank Howitzers M1844 in a larger size after we finish the Nano version, (got to get back on that tonight).  Maybe a  50 ,54, 69 or 75 cal. could be in our future as long as it doesn't have to be done before July.  The big advantage of this particular howitzer is that it's Muzzle Swell is almost as big as the Base Ring diameter. 

Double D, maybe you could post that tutorial on how to shoot a cannon with no sights on this thread so the membership won't have to chase down old posts or follow links.  As soon as they see all your excellent photos, target pics and clear instructions, the potential participants will see why having a gun with a Muzzle Swell and Base Ring of nearly the same size is a distinct advantage when sighting in this manner. You might also give everyone a ruling on whether add-on Muzzle Swell diameter increasers are allowed. 

Also, you might encourage everyone to send you a photo of their contest cannon to be published with the results of the postal shoot or as submissions for the next GBO calender or both.

Please sign us up for four targets.

Mike and Tracy

P.S.     
I've been considering building a .50 for some time now, since I have a mold and shooting/cleaning accessories for my .50 BP rifle.

If I do build a .50, it will probably be larger than scale and underbored, so it should make a good shooter.

Now here is one guy who clearly understands the principles regarding how to get some accuracy out of a smooth bore cannon.  We will continue to watch what he says.

T&M

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 07:22:08 AM »

No.

Offline Double D

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 08:14:48 AM »

Actually part of my thought process coming up with this.  We have lots of cannons among us all.  But shooting them  or rather finding things to shoot in them and places to shoot is a big  problem.   There is plenty of over the counter shooting supplies available for the smaller cannons in traditional rifle and pistol calibers.  It is also a bit easier to find a place to shoot the smaller guns.  A little 50 cal will be less objectionable to rolling out a golf ball cannon at the local shooting range.   Powder budget will be lower also.  Besides SAMCC doesn't allow larger calibers. 

Since we don't have a gun under 1", I guess we will be observers unless we find time to build something.  We did plan on making a couple more of those 24 Pdr. Flank Howitzers M1844 in a larger size after we finish the Nano version, (got to get back on that tonight).  Maybe a  50 ,54, 69 or 75 cal. could be in our future as long as it doesn't have to be done before July.  The big advantage of this particular howitzer is that it's Muzzle Swell is almost as big as the Base Ring diameter.

Brainstorming at its best!!!

Double D, maybe you could post that tutorial on how to shoot a cannon with no sights on this thread so the membership won't have to chase down old posts or follow links.  As soon as they see all your excellent photos, target pics and clear instructions, the potential participants will see why having a gun with a Muzzle Swell and Base Ring of nearly the same size is a distinct advantage when sighting in this manner.

If I decide to do this, that's a given.

You might also give everyone a ruling on whether add-on Muzzle Swell diameter increasers are allowed. 

Here is a series of pictures of SAMCC guns, if they have it you can have it.

Since most if not all have muzzle swell, over sized muzzle swells allowed as fixed part of the gun. Buy the way that last gun is Victory Model by the late Mike Pilgram and i know where there is one for sale.

Also, you might encourage everyone to send you a photo of their contest cannon to be published with the results of the postal shoot or as submissions for the next GBO calender or both.

Tim has also suggested this.  Won't be a requirement but it will be strongly encouraged as wells a picture of the targets withe shooter standing with them.

Please sign us up for four targets.

Mike and Tracy

I ain't time yet.  Watch for a post announcing sign up.

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 09:44:03 AM »

You might also give everyone a ruling on whether add-on Muzzle Swell diameter increasers are allowed. 

Here is a series of pictures of SAMCC guns, if they have it you can have it.

If I'm reading this right, T&M, I think you are referring to the same thing I asked about in the post just above yours: the muzzle disc.

I recalled references to these being used in the SAMCC shoots, and the photo below clearly shows a shooter either attaching or removing a muzzle disc.

And DD has already answered that these are not considered "sights."

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 09:51:15 AM »
I didn't notice it before because it's hard to see in this photo, but unless it's an optical illusion this shooter is also using a muzzle disc to aim his gun.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 10:29:02 AM »
Terry beat me to it in a way; I didn't notice that this gentleman had a simple type of bore sight (before Terry mentioned it) in his guns muzzle, but I had intended to ask this question: Wouldn't the members with guns that have exaggerated muzzle swells (muzzle swells that were equal to, or greater than the diam. of the base ring) built into their design, have a distinct advantage over those whose guns had muzzle swells smaller than the diameter of the base ring? I hope nobody minds that I'm going to answer my own question here: You're darn tootin' they would! So, wouldn't it be more fair to allow the use of this kind of simple reference gauge, (I don't think this would really even be qualified to be called a sight) in order to level the playing field? Now, I'm not talking about anything that is aligned, (say by locating pin, or by some other means) but just a reference to duplicate the top of the muzzle, so the shooter has a fair way of judging elevation.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 11:11:03 AM »
The ones I remembered from earlier discussion are just a plain round disc with a pilot in the center that fits into the bore.

No notches or marks of any kind, just the illusion of a larger muzzle swell.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 11:28:08 AM »
So the time limit is September or so.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 12:26:24 PM »
Sight disk allowed with what ever marks you want to put on it.  Cross hairs, v's dots what ever.  

Another thing the guys do is put an aiming dot on the target and shoot at that.

I write up something on how to use the aiming dot in the post on aiming a cannon

Offline Double D

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 12:27:52 PM »
So the time limit is September or so.

Probably, but we are still doing Q&A's right now.