Author Topic: 308 Long range Scope??  (Read 901 times)

Offline pol6320

• Trade Count: (0)
308 Long range Scope??
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:23:14 PM »
Hello everyone,
This Christmas, my wonderful girlfriend got me a new Savage 308 12fvss. I have wanted to get into long range shooting for a while, and she must have been listening. It is now time to purchase a scope.

I want to start shooting at 300 yards (which I have before), and eventually work up to 1,000 yards. I want to make a onetime purchase on a scope. I know that I want at least 20x within a variable scope, and enough MOA adjustments to one day reach out to 800-1,000 yards (I know that I need 30-40 MOA to reach that distance). What do you recommend? I am willing to spend up to $700. If I can get into these features at $300-$400, I will be extremely happy though  ;D

I compiled the attached list with scopes that have these features. What do you recommend?????

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: 308 Long range Scope??
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 03:07:46 PM »
Nice extensive list...shows that you are passionate to a point where once you get the long-range bug completely it will turn into an obsession.

That being said your obsession will turn you into the kind of guy where after a while you can tell the difference between a $300 scope with all the bells and whistles and a $1500 scope with all the bells and whistles.

For what you are looking at I'll add a few scopes that you would definitely be able to put to good use.  The new Super Sniper 10xHD, Sightron SIII 3.5-10x44, Sightron SIII 6-24x50.  The Vortex "Viper" that you mentioned wouldn't be a bad idea either.

A lot of scopes that you have in that list have decent glass, but are really limited in internal elevation adjustment.  Simply put, most long range rifles utilize a 20MOA mount so you can utilize the scope's internal adjustments instead of holding over the target.  You may run into a situation where you either you can't adjust down to 100yds, or run out of elevation before 1000 if you get a scope with limited internal adjustment.  Kick off all the scopes on your list with 50MOA of elevation adjustment...for me 70MOA is about the minimum to use on a long range scope with a 20MOA base, it will still give me theoretically (provided that the rifle's centerbore and scope are perfectally aligned and don't use up adjustment on zeroing) 15MOA of adjustment to zero the rifle at 100yds, while allowing 55MOA of adjustment to reach out as far as the round will stay supersonic.

This is a long topic, sorry if my answer is short and vague.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: 308 Long range Scope??
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 03:43:34 PM »
This is a comment from your other thread.  I don't remember what the guy said he was putting that scope on it was some kind of a custom 6.something or some other odd caliber.  It wasn't a 308 or any of the regular calibers.  I used to have a millett trs-1 that was great quality, but I also had a millett buck gold that was total junk.

I think you'll be happy with the millett lrs and I know what you mean when you say comparing it to the bushnell of similar powers.  Good luck with this and if you get it I'd like to read about how it shoots for you.