Author Topic: .357 Maximum Handi - Handloader preference  (Read 1379 times)

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
.357 Maximum Handi - Handloader preference
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:21:39 AM »
What are the Handiholic's preference on handloading die sets for the .357 Maximum, for their Handi rifles?

I'm presently using my old LEE Speed Die - .357 Magnum to load my .357 MAX and am looking for something that is a tad bit more user friendly. Good points, bad points or any insight will be appreciated.

Bill

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: .357 Maximum Handi - Handloader preference
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 10:42:45 AM »
I prefer REDDING dies as a first choice, but have more RCBS on the shelf followed by Lyman dies.

The Reddings have the best polish and seem the best made followed by the tried and true RCBS dies. The Lyman's are the sentimental to me, its what "pop" used...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 10:47:40 AM »
I like the Hornady dies, have started replacing many RCBS sets with the Hornady.  The Hornady has a sleeve inside that guides the bullet in the case when you can't hang on to the bullet anymore.  I have better luck seating the bullet straight with them.  As a bonus, ya get free bullets when ya buy a set. ;)  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 11:21:08 AM »
At a show this weekend, I picked up a NIB 3-DIE CARBIDE SET of .357 REMINGTON MAX RCBS 21212. Also came with the RCBS ACCESSORY PACK .357 REMINGTON MAX RCBS 09695, which was 2 more seater stems. So now I can seat SWC, RN, and pointy tips.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 11:24:02 AM »
I just bought a set of Lee 4 die set, carbide, with the powder through die.  Work great for me.  Has the Lee crimp die as well, though I don't use it on the rifle bullets.  I do crimp 38's because "sweet thang" carries a 38 in the truck.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 11:54:53 AM »
I to use the Lee carbide 4 die set, It has been turning out some fine ammo for about six years now. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline OldBob

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 11:55:07 AM »
  I'm using RCBS carbide sizer, Lyman "M" die expander, RCBS seater, and a Lee Factory Crimp die, I load 99% cast bullets and this set-up has worked well for me.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 12:02:37 PM »
My preference is Redding, when I want to shoot as precision as possible. I own RCBS, Lee, Hornady, Redding  and Forster dies. I do have 1 Lyman, it is a type "M" die for .224 cases. Redding is the best, but more pricey that the others, especially if you get into their benchrest dies. I like the Hornady for every day loading. I just bought a set for my 7-08, but I added a Lee neck collet die to the mix on that one. I do not have loyalties with any of them, I buy for features I want, not brand. If you get into precision dies, I really like the competition RCBS dies for seating bullets, but the Redding and Forster have nice ones too and I own both of those too. The RCBS has a window in the side, that makes bullet seating real easy. The one I have for 222 Remington can be used for seating bullets in .223, 22 Hornet, 221 Fireball and my 22 K Hornet. I think it would work for any .224 case that is same as or smaller in diameter than .375". It takes a special long shell holder. I have one for the 222 family and 1 for the 22 Hornet family. As far as the 357 Max is concerned, I bought a Lee deluxe carbide 38/357 set that works OK, but I found the die did not work the best for bullet seating for the 357 Max so I bought a Hornady 38 Seating die. It works much better. I also have a Redding taper crimp die for the 38/357/357 Max, but have not used it yet. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 04:13:07 PM »
 In 357 Max I use a Lyman 38 357 Mag that I have had before
 I ever heard of the Maxie. works just fine as wine. Datil

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 06:40:47 PM »
I use nothing but Lee dies for all my reloading. For my straight wall handgun calibers I use their carbide
dies. I also use the Lee Hand Loader and Auto Prime for all my straight wall handgun reloading. On many
calibers I use the Lee Factory Crimp Dies. I have to use my single stage RCBS Rockchucker for them.
Lee dies work fantastic for me. I have never had a problem with them.

Robert

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 11:45:08 PM »
I use nothing but Lee dies for all my reloading. For my straight wall handgun calibers I use their carbide
dies. I also use the Lee Hand Loader and Auto Prime for all my straight wall handgun reloading. On many
calibers I use the Lee Factory Crimp Dies. I have to use my single stage RCBS Rockchucker for them.

Robert

Good man Robert!!! I am the same way. I like LEE the best, but I own RCBS and Lyman also. I don't load for MAX, but for 357mag/38spl my LEE carbide set with the crimp die works great for my wheel guns.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 06:09:31 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys. I've gained a lot of good information from all of your experience.

There are a couple brands mentioned, Lyman and RCBS, that stand out for use in loading my .357 Max., simply because they offer different bullet seating stem contours. LEE will make a custom seating plug to match any bullet nose for $8 plus $4 shipping.

On a side note:
I contacted LEE with questions about the 38/357Mag Deluxe Carbide 4 Die Set for loading the .357 Maximum and they recommended using their 357Mag/357Max 3 Die Carbide set instead.
The Redding Tech. was very helpful answering my questions about their die sets. 

Bill

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 06:47:25 AM »
The Lee Speed Die is a carbide sizer. Doesnt it size well enough. and down far enough to chamber up? If it does, then you dont need a different size die. You may get a 'fine tuned' expander plug for the dia. bullets you use if the current one is really too small.
Take a look at a separate seating die with the right nose profile, or make your own with epoxy on the current one and a bullet nose coated in no-stick (cooking oil). Use the KISS principle. Remember, a lot of fine bench rest groups have been shot with the old Lee hand pounder set. Your Speed Die set has a lot of what you need already and the money you spend on another die set could be spent on bullets & shootin'.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 07:49:35 AM »
Thanks for the added ideas gcrank1.
The LEE .357Mag Speed Die loads my .357MAX just fine. For those that aren't familiar with the LEE Speed Die, it's a 1 piece die that you have to change out componenets in the processes of sizing, belling and bullet loading & crimping. The picture shows the 4 basic parts minus the locking ring. The one thing I don't like, due to the extra length of the .357 Max., is accessing the carbide insert, after the die is set for the cartridge, as it is up inside the press to where my stubby arthritic fingers have trouble and the depriming pin is too short for the .357 Max. That really isn't an issue since I use a LEE universal deprimer anyway. It would just be more convenient to have seperate dies set up.

Bill

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 01:51:03 PM »

Robert

Good man Robert!!! I am the same way. I like LEE the best, but I own RCBS and Lyman also. I don't load for MAX, but for 357mag/38spl my LEE carbide set with the crimp die works great for my wheel guns.

Daman

Right on Daman!
I own a few RCBS die sets as well. Nothing wrong with them. They work fine. It's just anymore I buy the Lee
dies because I can't see spending the extra money when they will more than get the job done for me at
sometimes less than half the price. I know a lot of people turn their noses up at Lee figuring that the quality
couldn't be anywhere near as good as their brand because it cost 2X as much or in some cases more. They
would be suprised. Lee makes some real good dies in my opinion. I love using the Auto Prime and the Hand Press
for loading my straight wall handgun rounds because I can easily load 300 rounds a night in my living room while
I'm relaxing watching TV. The Lee Factory Crimp Die is a must have for just about all calibers in my opinion.

Robert