Author Topic: SUCCESS FINALLY!!  (Read 2432 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
SUCCESS FINALLY!!
« on: April 15, 2010, 04:57:25 PM »
Finally broke the 2yr dry spell on spring turkeys and also finally made meat with an H&R!! ;D Today was the turkey season opener here in Washington, my huntin partner and I got to the farm at just before 9am, the owner was in his barn working on his tractor, said he'd just seen 3 toms down the creek earlier, my partner Jack being the gentleman he is, told me to go work them and I obliged, a man does what a man must do, you know!!  8) So he went one way and I headed the other with the plan of being back for lunch at 1pm. I walked across the field and over the hill to the timber above the creek, about 300yds of open pasture, about 50yds before I got to the top of the hill and the timber, a gobbler sounded off, then double gobbled and I hadn't even made a call yet!! :o He sounded about half way down the other side of the hill, so I hurried over the hill thru the fence and set up at the first good doug fir with a nice flat spot next too it. Dug out my box call and put a mouth call in my mouth.

Made a couple yelps on the mouth call first, no answer, waited 5 minutes and repeated, nothing. Waited another 5 min and tried the box call, nothing again.  :-\ So I shut up for a while...about 10 min later another gobble, he sounds closer, then a couple min later another that sounds further away, several min later he's closer again, finally figured he must be on his strut zone and just going back and forth. So the next time he sounded off farther away, I snuck a little closer, and I could see a 5-wire barbed fence ahead that I didn't know was between us. Just then I see a turkey, then another and another, a tom in full strut thru the brush about 70yds away!! :o Problem is, if I can see them, they can see me, so I wait until at least he's turned around with his fan blocking his view and slowly kneel down. I can see them, but he's not only too far away, but it's way too thick for a shot even if he was closer.

So I just watch for a bit, and notice little shooting lanes that would present a shot if they happened to get a little closer..... or if I could get a little closer, so I low crawled right up to the fence and got into position for a shot against another tree. I had a great show for several minutes including a boss hen that came up to within 10-15yds of me checking me out making that popping sound they do when they're nervous, she approached the fence 3 times like that before she left for good.  :-X

Meanwhile, the gobbler has moved out of sight, but I could hear him and his buddies, there were at least 3 gobblers, maybe 4 because they'd answer each other. My adrenaline hasn't been flowing this much for a long time, and never for this long! Then I catch movement about 60º to my right, I turn my head ever so slowly to finally focus on a big turkey about 40yds away with his butt towards me, but I can't see its head, then I catch a glimpse of red as I slowly turn my TDC barrel in his direction, fortunately I had set up slightly on the right side of the tree so I had could turn in that direction just enough to get on him, just as I was getting lined up on him another tom walked into view at about 30yds!! And he's looking for that hen he heard earlier...ME!!!  ;D 

As he walks slightly towards my right I can see his beard swinging, then he turns toward me and he's looking right at me, at least it felt like it, but I'm still swinging the shotgun ever so slowly in his direction now as he walks slowly in my direction, as soon as he's in my sights I pull the trigger because I figured he'd notice me any second now..... but it was too late for him, at about 25yds the 1½oz load of Heavyweight 7s knocks him down like he'd been hit with a sledge hammer, he flapped a few times and kicked a little and that was it, he died the quickest of any turkey I've ever taken! He was stone still by the time I got over the fence to him. He has a 9¼" beard, the biggest I've taken so far, and the typical short ¾" spurs they have here. It was 10:20, notched my turkey tag and headed to the barn.

Jack didn't show up at the barn until 12:30 and he had a story too. He had a bird coming in, it answered first at what he figured was about 300yds away, then again at 100yds, meanwhile, a herd of the owners cows also heard the call and had gathered around him to see what the turkey calls were all about!! Some got so close he feared being trampled if they spooked, that went on for 20 min or so while the turkey continued getting closer, close enough Jack could hear it spittin and drummin, then the cattle spooked and went thundering off thru the brush and he never heard the tom again.  :-\

What a day!!

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Re: SUCCESS FINALLY!!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 05:08:12 PM »
Congrats Tim. Great story, sounds like a good day. Thanks for sharing with us
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 05:15:03 PM »
Good for you, great post nice read.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 05:24:35 PM »
Way to go quickdtoo!
Nice looking gobbler and great pictures! What type of choke is that!
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 05:27:50 PM »
Good for you Tim, greta story, great pics, good lookin bird. What choke are you using in the TDC?
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 05:29:17 PM »
Thanks, it's a Trulock Precision Hunter Full which is what Federal recommends for their Flitecontrol ammo, it's good out past 40yds with the #7s in the 20ga.  ;)

Tim

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 05:29:54 PM »
Good on ya Tim. ;D I have yet to take a turkey with mine yet but it will come.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 05:33:24 PM »
I love that adrenilin rush I had a group of jakes and jennys come in silent on me one time less than ten yards away I thought for sure they would see my heart pounding in my chest
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 05:35:22 PM »
I love it, same rush as callin in an elk, and a whole lot easier to pack out!!!  ;D

thanks,

Tim

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 05:41:31 PM »
Good on ya mate!   ;D
I haven't made it out yet this year, don't look like I will...  :(
What kinda turkey is that?   ???  Looks a lot different from what we got here.   :-\ 
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 05:51:19 PM »
It would be a Merriam's, Richard, you're probably used to seeing Easterns, we have those here too, as well as Rio Grandes, but the Merriam's are more plentiful than Easterns and closer to home than the Rios.

Thanks, hope you get a chance to get out. ;)

Tim

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 05:54:13 PM »
Are you sure you did not use a pump for that Turkey? How can you shoot an obsolete type of gun and kill things? ;)

Offline The Hermit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Security is the ability to take care of yourself.
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 06:36:18 PM »
Tim, thanks for sharing the experience.

The Hermit

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 07:14:48 PM »
Congrats Bro...

Glad your drought is over at last..

Sounds like that 20ga did the job for you..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 08:41:37 PM »
Its good to fill the pot once in a while,congrats

Offline matthew_h

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 04:06:37 AM »
great story and a fine looking bird . way to go Tim !

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 04:24:21 AM »
Great job Tim. The  season doesn't open here  till the first of May,I'm starting to get anxious already.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline Maritime Storm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 04:36:12 AM »
Congratulation B'y!
A Maritimer & Damn Proud of it.

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 04:48:44 AM »
Good job Tim. Thanks for sharing your story and the pictures. It's about time you got that skunk off ya. I guess a Handi can kill other things than range paper.  :D -gary
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline pondenck

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 05:06:54 AM »
 Tim nice bird .if you ever get up to newport wa.come up to my farm sit down have cold one and the turkeys will come to you. thay come in at 25 to 30 at a time boy they make a mess in my yard. Jim

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 05:28:12 AM »
Congrats! I am already looking for a TDC to go with my camo lams for the next years turkey gun!

Oh yeah it ain't a dry spell no more!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 05:31:47 AM »
Thanks guys, and thanks for the invite Jim, we've talked many times of making a trip up there, so far the Blues are as far as we've made it, but we ain't dead yet, so there's still time!!  ;D

Tim

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010, 05:34:54 AM »
Good story Tim, glad you broke the dry spell. I've had a two year dry spell myself.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 09:16:26 AM »
Great Bird Tim! Congrats.     Did you happen to weigh him?    Just wondering what the Merriams go for on the scale.     I have only had a chance to score Osceolas and Easterns here in FL and GA.   

Love the descriptive story too.....brings us right in the woods with you.    Here's to many more......cheers! :)
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2010, 09:46:47 AM »
I've never weighed one, but the biggest I've heard of was 22lbs, they aren't traditionally as big as an Eastern. A fella stopped by the farm said he'd been hunting there for 20yrs and this was one of the biggest he'd ever seen taken there, it's bigger than any we've taken in the 15yrs we've hunted there.

Tim

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2010, 09:57:56 AM »
I scored a 25 lb Eastern on opening day last year after about an hour of calling.   This year I have called up a gobbler every weekend since March 20 (opening day) but most of them hung out past 50 yds.    Had one being stalked by a large coyote about 60 yds away first weekend....the coyote ended up with two .17HMR XTP's in his neck...the gobbler lived to strut another day.   Second weekend called in three jakes, third weekend I was guiding for a pair of teenage boys - each got a gobbler (a 9 1/2" and 7").   Last weekend I called up a tom that was real young only about a 3" tuft of a beard.   I let him  walk to  grow a little bigger.   

Congrats on the bird again Tim.      for me Tom Fever is every bit an adrenaline rush as Buck Fever.    I  love spring time.   
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 12:30:33 PM »
Way To Go Tim ;D

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 03:52:50 PM »
Great story thanks for sharing!

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2010, 04:18:02 PM »
Fine looking bird Tim, glad the dry spell is over and congrats!!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 04:18:45 PM »
Congratulations Tim, a great story and a great hunt. Success is hard to argue with, especially when it comes with a sense of achievement and a lot of fun...<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley