Author Topic: Lightweight Compact Scope  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Matt3357

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Lightweight Compact Scope
« on: April 18, 2010, 09:54:38 AM »
Over the past couple of days I have been looking at scopes for my pack rifle project.  I am looking for a scope with good eye relief, either a fixed 4x or something along the lines of a 2-7x variable and priced around $100 to $130.  I want something I can mount as low as possible and as far forward as possible but has a parallax set to 100 yards or so with fine cross hairs.  I have been looking at the new 2-7x Redfield but don't know anything about them.  I've also been looking at the Burris Timberline fixed 4.  I really want something around 10 oz or so and short.  I want some thing that doesn't depend on batteries and is durable.  I plan on putting this on a 22 hornet so recoil is not much of a problem but getting banged around is.  Also, what do I need to look for to mount a scope super low and what rings have you guys used for low mounts? 

Thanks,
Matt

Matt

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-Otto von Bismarck

Offline v8r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Lightweight Compact Scope
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 10:17:41 AM »
I have a Burris Timberline 4x on my .357 handi. It is a great scope for the money, but dosen't exactly fit all your requirements.It has a fairly heavy duplex reticle.The ocular bell is smaller on it,so it will probably clear the hammer well in medium rings.I have mine mounted in high Burris Zee rings(because I already had them on the rifle),and the scope has a ton of clearance from the hammer.It also has very good eye relief.Most places I have seen them online have been around the $150 range.
V8r's Handi collection.
H&R Ultra Varmint .223
H&R Topper 158 .22 Hornet
H&R Classic Carbine .45 LC
NEF  .357 magnum
H&R "Golden Buffalo" Buffalo Classic 45-70
NEF Pardner !2 Gauge

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 10:54:54 AM »
The Weaver 4x32 Shotgun scope sounds perfect, at 8.7oz and 9.5" long with 3.5" eye relief and 100yd parallax setting, it's a great little Japan made scope IF you can find one, Natchez has had them on sale for $90 at least twice, unfortunately now they're back up to their normal $250 price, I've bought two of them from em at the sale price as have many others here. If you're not in a hurry, I'd keep an eye on them if you can't find one elsewhere. Hammer interference will be the determining factor on what rings you use, see the FAQs on that, there are several ways around it, simplest is bobbing the tip of the hammer spur.

Tim

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=SN849421

http://www.opticsplanet.net/weaver-rifle-shotgun-scopes-849421.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jy951

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 11:05:56 AM »
I have a Burris Timberline in 2-7x.  They seem to have pretty decent eye relief and are pretty compact.

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 11:18:07 AM »
I have a Swift Reliant (~$100) mounted with Leupold Rifleman medium rings mounted on a 30-06 handi that I am satisfied with.
I have the 4x40; there is also a compact 4x version. 100 or 150 parallax.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline Clodhopper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 11:24:07 AM »
I have a couple of the Leupold Rifleman 2X7 scopes, one on a CZ550 375 HH and the other on a Kimber M84 7mm08.  I like them very much, the eye relief is about 4 inches.  Compact and good quality for the price (about 190.00 at wally world).

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 11:46:52 AM »
take a look at the Nikon prostaff 2x-7x,  A very nice scope that can be mounted low.
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
Over the past couple of days I have been looking at scopes for my pack rifle project.  I am looking for a scope with good eye relief, either a fixed 4x or something along the lines of a 2-7x variable and priced around $100 to $130.  I want something I can mount as low as possible and as far forward as possible but has a parallax set to 100 yards or so with fine cross hairs.  I have been looking at the new 2-7x Redfield but don't know anything about them.  I've also been looking at the Burris Timberline fixed 4.  I really want something around 10 oz or so and short.  I want some thing that doesn't depend on batteries and is durable.  I plan on putting this on a 22 hornet so recoil is not much of a problem but getting banged around is.  Also, what do I need to look for to mount a scope super low and what rings have you guys used for low mounts? 

Thanks,
Matt

My only problem with the new Redfields is that the eye relief is a real disappointment.  Don't seem to have as much as they claim.  Good clear sight picture, though.  So if eye relief is not an issue - not a bad choice.  I could not get the 2X7 to focus properly on my 30-30 barreled handi.  Ended up putting it on another gun (not a handi).

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 02:19:23 PM »
simmons pro diamond 4X32 compact light good eye relief and can be mounted on low rings ahead of the hammer under $100
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Matt3357

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 05:18:54 PM »
So I keep hearing about scopes mounted forward of the hammer but I have yet to see a picture of one.  And I don't see how it is possible without either a really short stock or a scout style scope.  Please let me in on your secrets. 

Thanks,
Matt

Matt

-Otto von Bismarck

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 05:58:09 PM »
I can only send pics to your e-mail from my phone. PM me with your e-mail address and I will send you some pics
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 06:21:11 PM »
There are pics of scout mounted scopes in the FAQs, here are a couple pics of a shotgun scopes mounted ahead of the hammer, top is on a Weaver #82, bottom is on an Ultra rail(discontinued).

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Matt3357

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 06:35:40 PM »
The top one is the exact picture I had in my head for this set up.  What kind of scope is that?  Thanks Tim!

Ok so I looked at it again and the title of the picture is Simmons shot gun scope, doi,  do you happen to remember the model?

Thanks,
Matt

Matt

-Otto von Bismarck

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 06:38:11 PM »
Simmons 8-point 2½x20, unfortunately also discontinued.  :-\

Tim