Author Topic: ccw badge  (Read 4396 times)

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
ccw badge
« on: December 24, 2010, 05:41:41 PM »
My mom gave me one for Christmas. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it isn't such a good idea to carry one. Can anyone remind me about this?
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: ccw badge
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 05:56:18 PM »
Dunno who said it but I tend to agree. I just got an idea that if you show that to a cop he is gonna get real pissed off. Never good to piss off the cops. I'll stick with the CCW card the Sherriff provides me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 06:04:56 AM »
I agree Oh Great Grey Bearded One, flashing any kind of badge, even if it says "pickle inspector" is likely to get one charged with impersonating an officer. Cops are touchy about that although I can't imagine why anyone would want to impersonate one of those, but then I was raised by outlaws. ;D
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 06:18:35 AM »
She was all wxcited about finding it for me too, but I told her I don't think I should carry one of these.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline Mohawk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 07:11:09 AM »
I wouldn't carry one. Wearing a badge off duty is just a hassle anyway. People always want to ask questions about this or that. I take mine off my belt as soon as I get off work. When I flew to AZ last week I just put my badge and agency ID in my carry on bag. Less hassle that way.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 08:11:34 AM »
I agree with the others.  Real cops see it one of two things will come to mind; 1) We got us a nut job wanna be copper here or 2) You are trying to impersonate a LEO with bad intentions.  Like someone above said go with what you are issued by the local governing body.  You can't go wrong with that. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 11:53:40 AM »
Dunno who said it but I tend to agree. I just got an idea that if you show that to a cop he is gonna get real pissed off. Never good to piss off the cops. I'll stick with the CCW card the Sherriff provides me.

I agree 100%. The whole purpose of having a CCW Card, or state issued id as I have, is to identify you as a CCW holder. The badges are just gimicks to put money in the seller's pocket. If you want to piss off an officer that bad just ask if he has any donuts left.  ;D

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 12:02:38 PM »
 ;D

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline sybo

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 12:40:22 AM »
    You need to remember, the cops EARNED their badges, here in Middle Tn. they are sold, but I would never wear one. I prefer to be discreet.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 02:01:16 AM »
Where would one wear this badge ? If the purpose is to not let the general public know you are armed why would you want to wear a sign telling the world ? I guess it could be kept in a pocket with your Johnny Quest decoder ring and lone Ranger signal mirror  :D
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 12:52:49 PM »
Hey, I earned that Johnny Quest decoder ring. ;D

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 03:59:54 AM »
Anybody wearing a "CCW badge" (whatever that is) is using poor judgement. I would view such a critter at least as a borderline nut case. I keep my CCW card in the wallet behind the drivers license. The only time I display is when purchasing a firearm and happily it has seen some light lately.   ;D

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 08:56:58 AM »
    You need to remember, the cops EARNED their badges, here in Middle Tn. they are sold, but I would never wear one. I prefer to be discreet.

Yep, I agree 100%, The same way I feel when I see some lefty hollywierd actor wearing Jump Wings. If you're wearing them, you should have earned them.

Complying with the LEO's orders is the best way to sort out a situation. Let them know you will comply.

Offline diggdug

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 02:23:18 AM »
I agree with everyone else. Don't wear a badge unless your job requires that you do. I remember hearing of a case where a BG noticed an off duty officer's  wallet badge when he paid for some food in a resturaunt and shot him dead. Also, LEO's will not understand why you have a badge for CCW.
Most people say I'm an idiot!

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 08:04:20 PM »
When I wore a badge, as a Deputy Sheriff, the first thing I was told after pinning it on was, " You now have a bullseye target pinned to your chest and you'll live longer if you never forget it!"

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 01:32:02 PM »
+1 Spirithawk.

Offline tonantius

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 03:10:27 PM »
I have seen this for sale at Sportsman's Guide. It is a wallet with a Concelaed Carry Badge and a holder for your CCW permit. It is just a convenient place to put your CCW permit. The badge is to show-off to your friends.

I agree, if the badge comes out, the LEOs will not think highly of it.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 03:19:33 PM »
Another, rather obvious thought. You have a conceal carry permit yes? That means you are to very discreetly carry and certainly not advertise the fact that you are. Soooo, what would be the point of pinning on a badge that says, " Hey! Look at me, I'm carrying!" To me that would be the same as exsposing your firearm and a great way to lose your permit! The obvious intent of such a badge, at least supposedly, is to identify you from the BG when LE arives if you need to use your firearm. However, it makes much more sense and is less likely to cause any un-needed problems, if you simply explain to the dispatcher on the phone that you have a permit and describe exactly what you are wearing. That way the officers responding know beforehand just what to expect which I know they would much apreciate way more than your springing a questionable badge on them.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 06:10:29 AM »
I guess they carry the badge in a wallet and flip it out , maybe they say book um Dano at the same time.
Guess I'm getting old but I don't want the extra weight in my pocket .

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 12:33:09 PM »
I guess they carry the badge in a wallet and flip it out , maybe they say book um Dano at the same time.
Guess I'm getting old but I don't want the extra weight in my pocket .

I hear that! I'm about at the stage to start wearing suspenders! ;D At least we're too old to look like gangbangers. ROFL

Offline rdmallory

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
I did see a holster the other day that had a small window to slip your CCDW permit into.
Thought it was a new idea. So it you did let you sidearm show by bending over they would also see the permit.

Doug

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 01:51:31 AM »
I did see a holster the other day that had a small window to slip your CCDW permit into.
Thought it was a new idea. So it you did let you sidearm show by bending over they would also see the permit.

Doug

That would make it easy to take both , which is what they do in Va. if you let it show or print.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 06:37:35 AM »
Another, rather obvious thought. You have a conceal carry permit yes? That means you are to very discreetly carry and certainly not advertise the fact that you are. Soooo, what would be the point of pinning on a badge that says, " Hey! Look at me, I'm carrying!" To me that would be the same as exsposing your firearm and a great way to lose your permit! The obvious intent of such a badge, at least supposedly, is to identify you from the BG when LE arives if you need to use your firearm. However, it makes much more sense and is less likely to cause any un-needed problems, if you simply explain to the dispatcher on the phone that you have a permit and describe exactly what you are wearing. That way the officers responding know beforehand just what to expect which I know they would much apreciate way more than your springing a questionable badge on them.

It just goes in your pocket and has a window for your actual permit. I knew it was a bad idea to carry it. I just felt bad, she was so excited she found it in the first place.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 06:43:29 AM »
Shootall is probably right. It's one of those things that sounds good in theory but not in practicality. I doubt if most people would recognise the permit for what it is nor get close enough to read it. They'd simply react as if it weren't there. Here our permits look exactly like a drivers license so just seeing one, without actually being close enough to see the very small red lettered CCW in the corner, it would look no differant. Probably 95 people out of 100 would assume it's just a drivers license so what would be the purpose? You're back to square 1 having exsposed your weapon. That is something that I make it a point to avoid by my method of carry and choice of clothing.

GrimJim, that's understandable bud.

Offline GregD

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 10:01:48 AM »
I hide my LE ID in my wallet and VERY seldom carry a badge when off duty.

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 06:22:53 AM »
Maybe one of the LEOs could respond here. How can a CCW holder help cops ID that you are the good guy if you are by chance still in an active situation when the cops arrive? It would seem to me from a LEOs standpoint that could be a difficult thing.
GuzziJohn

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 06:30:36 AM »
Maybe one of the LEOs could respond here. How can a CCW holder help cops ID that you are the good guy if you are by chance still in an active situation when the cops arrive? It would seem to me from a LEOs standpoint that could be a difficult thing.
GuzziJohn

Seems to me that the best, and possibly only way, is to describe the situation and what you are wearing to the 911 operator.

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 06:50:08 AM »

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 06:51:07 AM »
Seems to me that the best, and possibly only way, is to describe the situation and what you are wearing to the 911 operator.

That may work if you are the one that called 911.
GuzziJohn

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 09:20:19 AM »

That may work if you are the one that called 911.
GuzziJohn

True, you have a point. My only other thought would be that it might be wise to imediately holster your weapon as soon as an officer shows up and keep your hands both away from it and where they can be seen. Then follow the officer's directions without hesitation nor argument. I'd then inform the officer of having a permit to carry.