Author Topic: Two New Superlights in the Works  (Read 2094 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Two New Superlights in the Works
« on: January 02, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
I've been bitten by Superlight rifle bug and really like carrying them compared to standard weight Handis, like the 38-55 shorty, but even it's heavier than I care for since I spend 99% of my time packing them and very little time actually shooting at game, and I also have an itch for big bores that still isn't scratched by the 38-55. So after learning H&R is offering an SB1-SY4 Superlight Compact Youth 44mag with 20" barrel, I ordered one from Bud's last night, it will be rechambered to 444 Marlin and the frame swapped out for my SB2 44mag frame, haven't decided how to stock it yet, but it will either be checkered synthetic or a Handi-grip and scoped of course.

The other itch I've had for several years is a true .375" something, the 38-55 doesn't quite do it, thought about a .375/444(375JDJ), reamer and dies are available, then decided I might as well go with a suggestion Wayne made a long time ago, a 375 Whelen, then the Superlight bug bit me again, why not use the extra 243 Win  Superlight barrel I have, but a Whelen chamber won't clean up a 243 Win chamber, so it has to be an improved version, and what do ya know, reamers are available from both 4D and Elk Ridge and dies are available from CH4D for $80! Gonna call Wayne this week on both of em.  :)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Two New Superlights in the Works
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 08:26:07 AM »
You go Tim!!!!

I'm sure Wayne will cut them rite, but beware of HS issues with the 375 Whelen. The improved is the only way to go IMHO for just that reason.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 08:28:52 AM »
Yup, already done my homework on that, that's why the .400 Whelen failed.  ;)

Tim

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 08:38:47 AM »
Tim

Your getting as bad as CW and myself , always wanting something odd or different , just be glad your using Handi's and not those TC things ( they cost too much )  ;D

Have fun with the new projects , I'm working on another " Top Secret " one now too .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 10:31:27 AM »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 10:58:35 AM »
You guys have heard of the blind leading the blind.  This is a case of the sicker leading the sick.  I don't have room for 25 more Handis........but.....just maybe.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »

That's why I bought my .223 lightweight. It came with a youth stock and with the scope is just right. Mine shoots .75" groups with several different weight bullets.

I've also started hunting with my 20 ga Pardner. Somehow it just feels right, and light.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 11:42:03 AM »
Yes Pete, the sickest leading the sick down a path of no return!!  :D

I agree Rusty, after carrying both my 38-55 shorty and the 260 Superlight back to back this past season, the Superlight definitely has its advantages.  8)

I just tried a loaded 444 round in my 44mag chamber, I would have tried a fired case, but they've all been resized, the loaded round leave about 1" sticking out of the chamber. Doing that, it occurred to me how to find out if a 444 reamer will engage the bore before it starts cutting when rechambering by hand... gonna make a chamber cast in my .444 with about ˝" of the bore cast also, remove just the groove material from the end of the casting leaving just the diameter of the lands, this will simulate a reamer  then drop the casting into the 44mag chamber and see how much of the end of the reamer engages the bore. I'd do a casting of the 44mag barrel when I get it and order a floating pilot reamer from Elk Ridge with appropriate sized pilot for the bore. That's if I make the decision to do it by hand of course, haven't done that yet.

Tim

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 03:25:49 PM »
Hey Tim, those two superlight projects sound really good. You had better invest in some good recoil pads to go on them! ;D
I didn't know about the SB1 Superlight Compact Youth 44mag with 20" barrel. I wouldn't mind having one of those with a Handi-Grip stock set.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 03:41:34 PM »
Thanks, the Handi-grip has a pretty good pad on it, if I use a checkered synthetic set, it will get a Limbsaver #10011.  ;)

Tim

Offline Canuck Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 04:20:49 PM »
Can't speak to the Handi but I hunted with a 444 for decades.  A really fine cartridge.  The fast twist Handi 444 has me interested as I have all the gear and cases I could ever use.  350 grain LBT as a grizzly gun when hiking in the Rockies with the family.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 04:38:19 PM »
The 44mag Handi has the SAAMI standard 1:38" twist, the current production 444 Marlin Handi has the faster 1:20" twist, but I won't be shooting anything bigger than 265gr in the 444 Superlight, my 444 Handi shoots 355gr BTBs excellent tho, not sure that I'd want to shoot those in the Superlight even if they would shoot accurately!!  :o It is possible to get the 1:38" to shoot the heavier bullets, but to do it exceeds SAAMI data as shown in the BTB article.

Tim

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/17

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/19

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/28

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 05:00:38 PM »
That 375 will be sweet, what is the anticipated weight?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 05:06:13 PM »
About 6˝lbs with scope, just depends on what scope I put on it.

Thanks Tyler, Happy New Year!!  ;)

Tim

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 06:00:36 PM »
Tim- I have a standard 44 mag on an SB1 with synthetic and it is the nicest one of the bunch to carry. I have no idea which caliber you were talking about, kind of like when my brothers start talking computers...  ::)  I may have to look at some wildcat data to see what calibers this thread was about  ???. But as far as having a light weight, nice to carry, Handi - I understood that and couldn't agree more. I will be making more that are light, but none of my projects will probably ever make it to Wayne.... That would go into the MAJOR project catagory. My wife doesn't always know about my "projects" but once I ad "major" the cat would be out of the bag. :)  Keep us posted, I always like it when you guys keep us up on the way these projects go.
Thanks thejanitor   

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 08:24:25 PM »
Brent, so far they've only offered the Superlight contour in 22 Hornet, 223 and 243, this little 44mag appears to be an additional Superlight offering, yours has a standard contour 22" barrel, this is a much lighter contour 20" barrel.....hopefully!  ;D

Tim

http://www.gungenie.com/Genie/Default.aspx?item=72648

Offline Canuck Bob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 05:21:09 AM »
Sorry, I missed the difference between the 44 Mag and new 444 barrels.  I've hunted with nothing but the 265 Hornady and Remington bullet when it was available.  My rifle is a 1-38 twist barrel.  The 444 harvested a number of moose with a single shot.

That big bullet would kick a bit in a superlight!

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 05:45:48 AM »
A lathe, some barrel wall calc., some time, shallow cuts to keep heat down and.........a superlight anything!
If I had a big enough mill I would make my heavy custom bull barrel tapered octagon.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 05:58:26 AM »
I don't have anywhere to put a 500lb bench top lathe let alone a good 1500lb lathe, or I would have had one already, there have been several great buys locally on Craig's list.  :-\ Lathe work plus a rebore makes a pretty expensive barrel, but I do plan to ask Wayne how much he would charge to turn and rebore a 22" barrel to 375WI.

Tim

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 11:50:48 AM »
Sounds good Tim....so many calibers.....so little time! ;D

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 12:46:44 PM »
As good a deal as some of those machines sound like, and with the need for a place to keep them, you are probably money ahead to pay a good workman you trust. I have some of the most expensive 'custom' parts in the world.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 02:29:02 PM »
I just talked to Wayne, everything is a go, he has both reamers, and he'll turn a barrel for $50-$100, so all I have to do is figure out what barrel I want to do the 375WI on, I think a 22" or 24" barrel might be a better choice, but I'll have to think on what barrel I want to use as a donor. 

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 04:37:34 PM »
I picked up the SB1-SY4 Superlight Compact 44mag today, what a disappointment, the barrel has the same muzzle diameter as a standard 44mag and the same contour barrel, it's just 20" long, that's the only difference, they're using the name Superlight deceptively IMO, the barrel weighs 4oz less then my 22" 44mag barrel and surprisingly just 1oz less than my 22" 444 Marlin barrel, once rechambered to 444 it will be a bit lighter, but it's certainly not a Superlight contour by any stretch of the imagination, it should be called just a Compact because it has a youth stock on it.  ::)  It also doesn't have sights as in the description at Davidson's which doesn't really bother me since I can't really use em anyway, same item #72648 on the end of the box, so it's not a different rifle.

Tim

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/7/products_id/70036

http://www.gungenie.com/Genie/Default.aspx?item=72648

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 05:06:01 PM »
Why dont you jig it up on your little mill and do octagon flats up to the chamber swell on the top and to the forearm stud underneath. Youd have to do it in stages; maybe swamp it a bit and finish off with some draw filing.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline bcp

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 06:05:46 PM »
On the 44 to 444 conversion, it isn't just length.  The 444 is about 0.015 larger in diameter at the base.  It isn't straight walled.

Bruce

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 06:29:12 PM »
Why dont you jig it up on your little mill and do octagon flats up to the chamber swell on the top and to the forearm stud underneath. Youd have to do it in stages; maybe swamp it a bit and finish off with some draw filing.

I don't have any way to index it, not spending the $180 to get a rotary table to do it, I wouldn't be able to do the full barrel either unless I shortened it some, the table isn't long enough. I already considered fluting a barrel, but dumped that idea, trying to deal with the slight taper of the barrel was another issue to deal with that I'm not comfortable with. I also have reservations about reducing the barrel diameter and opening the bore up, I'd have a barrel turned, but I'd rebore it afterwards, that's the plan on the .375 Whelen Improved.

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 06:29:47 PM »
On the 44 to 444 conversion, it isn't just length.  The 444 is about 0.015 larger in diameter at the base.  It isn't straight walled.

Bruce

Contrary to popular belief, the 444 isn't just a 44mag lengthened, it's a different chamber.

Tim

http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 01:32:26 AM »
Tim,
 Just an idea on the octagon barrel idea. Since you do not have an index head, how about taking it to a small machine shop and have them start the project by milling a pattern on one end of the barrel. then you will have a reference point for the flats. I think an octagon barrel would look very nice.
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 02:01:18 AM »
I'd say I envy you guys for your knowledge and skill.  Here I sit, 3 or 4 weeks into trying to get a Maxi dialed in with a new scope.  It's either been snowing or blowing or both.  The .45LC carbine needs glass and sighting in, while the .445 needs fine tuning and cut back to 18 inches.  Pretty basic projects compared to youze guys.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 02:40:45 AM »
On the 44 to 444 conversion, it isn't just length.  The 444 is about 0.015 larger in diameter at the base.  It isn't straight walled.

Bruce

Contrary to popular belief, the 444 isn't just a 44mag lengthened, it's a different chamber.

Tim

http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm

Absolutely true, Tim

It's basically a straight '06 case with a .514 rim added then trimmed down a bit.

The auto mag 44, is another, that's built on a shortened '06 case.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.