Author Topic: got pitchers this time !!!  (Read 1675 times)

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
got pitchers this time !!!
« on: January 22, 2011, 02:48:15 PM »
#4.... now me an j3 is equal, but tomorrow isanuther day.
this lil buck was lured in by tha drag-rag. walked under the shoot'n house wif his nose pointed to tha sky.
there have been a couple young does play'n around the plot until this lil'devil came to make trouble.
he ran them all off and was scrape'n the plot. i let him get out there bout 60yrds before the 45/70
dida shor-nuff flop job on him !!!! i like it lika that cus i ain't gotta get in tha crawlin brush ;D
this ones gunna be dedicated to bacon burger.... he was small round 110lbs.
we have many small bucks here in tha swamp. 1 gone ain't gun hurt nuttin.
he'll eat jus as gud as that 8point j2's been scout'n for.... ;)

sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: got pitchers this time !!!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 03:30:46 PM »
Cute Lil bugger... shoulda thrown that un back to grow a bit...  ::) ::) ::)

Venison in the freezer is a good thing!!  Dem Lil ones sure do eat good!!

Congrats AGAIN!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline bigbird09

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 03:32:36 PM »
Nice little button I bet he will eat good,  should sent some jerky my way, been craving some.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

novice shooter, gunsmith, reloader, that is always open to help, tips, and tricks.

Malin v17/.17HMR, Handi-rifle/.223, Mossburg 500A/12g, Winchester 1300/20g, CVA eclipse magnum/.50

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 03:40:06 PM »
Bacon burger is the way to go!
Although I turned my little one into roasts and steaks. Considering the fixed price per deer for processing, its expensive get a little one processed.
Had a 174 lb buck turned into bacon burger; did not really comprehend how much that would be.
(Lot of friends got gifts of fresh bacon burger on Elvis' birthday)
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline Hit or Miss

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 04:25:53 PM »
Very good!  You must tell us more about this "bacon burger" stuff!
Which lie got to you so that you refuse Him???

Offline PowPow

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 05:04:32 PM »
Bacon burger....my processor calls it "bacon ends added".
The irregular shaped ends of a side of bacon are ground up and added to ground venison, in lieu of beef fat.
Ground venison with beef fat added has a "unique" flavor that does not lend itself well to plain hamburgers on a bun, but is good for ground meat recipes that include a tomato-based flavoring like chili, sloppy joes, ba-sketti. Ground venison with bacon ends has the standalone flavor for great burgers. My processor only charges $5 more per deer to use bacon ends over beef fat.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline Lefty Dude

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 06:11:25 PM »
Yikes !  You shot Bambi  ;) ;D

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 07:49:23 PM »
110lbs? I was thinking more like 75lbs. Should be nice and tender, good shooting!

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 08:44:01 PM »
You should be able to have a deer cookout every weekend this summer. Did the MO show up yet?

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Avid Poster
Moose & Venison tactics
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 01:02:52 AM »
Well, cooking tactics, anyhows.
I shot a big old Shirras cow many years back, and the first few pieces we cooked up tasted like my old Red Wings, and were about as tender.  A friend suggested I try his technique...Get the cast iron skillet hot enough to brand with, and sear the steaks real quick.  Pull 'em off, and wrap 'em with a piece of bacon, held on with a toothpick, and after the pan has cooled, mix up tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, a little salt, mebbe a pinch of brown sugar, some mushrooms, then coat the bottom of the pan with the sauce, put the steaks in, and cover them with the remaining sauce, cover it with a lid, and let it simmer till they're at the place ya like 'em.  About the only way I can stomach sagebrush fed mulies these days.
With the moose, I'd just go down and get the cheapest barbeque sauce I could find, coat a cake pan with it, put the moose pieces in, cover 'em with BBQ sauce, cover with aluminum foil, and bake 'em at 375 for 45 minutes.  THAT brought them shoe-leather moose bits back to life and made 'em REALLY palatable. 
I know it's real simple, and some of you backyard chefs have better recipes, but this is what works for me, and got the venison down the necks of my picky eatin' kids for several years till they could afford to take their little butts down to McD's out of their own pockets!
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 01:37:13 AM »
Whenever I'm allowed, I hunt for year and a half old does.  Best for the most venison going.  I have in the past mistaken a button buck for a doe.  ........oops, oh well, they all eat great.  Ya can't call back a bullet.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline gendoc

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 01:39:17 AM »
Bacon burger is the way to go!
Although I turned my little one into roasts and steaks. Considering the fixed price per deer for processing, its expensive get a little one processed.
Had a 174 lb buck turned into bacon burger; did not really comprehend how much that would be.
(Lot of friends got gifts of fresh bacon burger on Elvis' birthday)

pow, we do tha process. ain't pay'n no shop for sumone elses meat. they waste too much anahow fromwhat i've been told from friends.

Very good!  You must tell us more about this "bacon burger" stuff!

we use our own hawgs we get in tha swamp.... only lil'uns   and pow is right !!! bacon ends added to tha grinder
during tha process.  for added attraction.... throw some garlic and green onion bits in too wifa lil cajun heat !! ;)
roun these parts ever one calls'um "tha doc burger"  goes great wif yur fav home brew too........ ;D

sea-ya.....

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

Offline PowPow

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 02:39:08 AM »
doc, Good for you for doing it yourself. I would not have thought the zoning laws on the Eastern Shore (the Alabama version of the Hamptons, for you unejucated folks) would allow you to have a skinning shed on your estate.
I skint a little one on my patio last year and shared the spare parts with the critters in the woods behind us. The neighborhood dogs were talking about it all night.

Offline gendoc

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 03:08:56 AM »
i'm so fer-back ina swamp the laws run wif tha land..... ;D
ya know wer bycor swamp is ? thats wer we at. north shore bon secour bay.
my mail addy is for tha other spread. ;)
sea-ya.....

Offline siamese4570

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 12:45:09 PM »
Gendoc:  Been processing my own deer for two or three years now.  It was always a hassle to find beef fat and about impossible to find pork fat to grind with the venison.  someone suggested using cheap bacon.  Most big grocery stores sell the "ends" you talked about in a bulk package.  It's cheap and easy to get.  Also use it in my sausage that I make.  Had some last night.  Glad to see that you've come over to the dark side and used a Handi in 45-70.  People don't realize how good the old 45-70 works until they try it.

Siamese4570

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 01:58:39 PM »
I have always processed my own deer and usually just buy some pork to add to the burger. Deer aren't too bad to process, but the one elk I did was a real chore.
Don   

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 03:36:19 AM »
doc, Good for you for doing it yourself. I would not have thought the zoning laws on the Eastern Shore (the Alabama version of the Hamptons, for you unejucated folks) would allow you to have a skinning shed on your estate.
I skint a little one on my patio last year and shared the spare parts with the critters in the woods behind us. The neighborhood dogs were talking about it all night.

Pow,

Doc's so deep in tha swamp, laws come close to non existence and folks rely a lot more on good old fashion ethics (believe it or not that still exists in America) and a sense of family. I know most all the swamp down here and the wardens and LE in general are very lenient as long as you don't blatantly break the law and use whatever you kill.

Oh and the only zoning going on in tha swamp is wetland zoning.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 03:53:06 AM »
It's pretty much the same up here.  If a C.O. knows a guy's out of work and just trying to feed his family, he's preetty much left alone.  They don't venture on to private property often, and pretty much leave us alone unless something flagrant is going on.  The ethics are here, we don't take does pregnant or with fawns or button bucks.  We only take what we need and use all of what we take.

Pete
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 04:07:57 AM »
I forgot to add:  When we take a deer it's field dressed immediately, brought down to the house, hung on a gambrel on an old apple tree, hosed out, put on a gambrel in the meat room in the barn, and skinned.  After it's chilled out a bit, all the meat comes off the bones, washed, packed and frozen.  The whole critter is done before bedtime.  I used to sit and trim tallow and silverskin for hours when I should have been hunting.  Now, I do that when the cut comes out of the freezer.....weeks and months later.  As long as it comes off before it's cooked, it is fine.

Pete

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 05:41:58 AM »
I forgot to add:  When we take a deer it's field dressed immediately, brought down to the house, hung on a gambrel on an old apple tree, hosed out, put on a gambrel in the meat room in the barn, and skinned.  After it's chilled out a bit, all the meat comes off the bones, washed, packed and frozen.  The whole critter is done before bedtime.  I used to sit and trim tallow and silverskin for hours when I should have been hunting.  Now, I do that when the cut comes out of the freezer.....weeks and months later.  As long as it comes off before it's cooked, it is fine.

Pete

We hang ours in the smoke house til saturday night and then take it out and put it on ice. Sunday afternoon between church we debone and process --- we don't hunt on Sunday --- it is a good time to visit and get it out of the way all at the same time.

Daman

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline gendoc

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 01:38:11 PM »
Gendoc:   Glad to see that you've come over to the dark side and used a Handi in 45-70.  People don't realize how good the old 45-70 works until they try it.

Siamese4570

well i'll tell ya a secret, i been up tha 45/70 cents 1959. and i think they do a plum nice job for the flop.
jus bout 3 year ago i got me a handi in 45/70 an eva cents the #1's been idle. gotta few traps and had many.

these thangs are great for one that knows how to handload and where, how to put that boolit !!!.
i ain't needed a second shot cents ever year at dove open'n wifa scatter-gun.
i've been on tha dark side for lil ova 3 years wiftha handi....... but i've seen tha lite eva cents !!!!!!  ;D

daman...
you knows wer's i be come'n from, heck you knows my kin in tibbe !!! ;)
an thatsa mighty fine thang !!! ;D

sea-ya.....

Offline yoteskinner

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 04:53:57 PM »
We cut up all of our own deer (12 this year, 2 with a bow, 2 with a muzzleloader,6 fell to the MAX and the 14 yr old killed 2 with a 44 mag). Little fat, no bone, and little silver skin is put in the vacuum bags if we can help it. Just pure red meat. The tribe had knee roast sliced and cooked in mushroom gravy tonight. Marinate some in cheap A-1 type steak sauce for a day or 2 then flour and into the deep fryer. The kids (the 4 still at home) are lined up with their forks ready for the first batch to hit the tray. 12 deer get us till next year if we ration it.

Offline bigbird09

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 06:08:26 PM »
god you guys are making me hungry.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

novice shooter, gunsmith, reloader, that is always open to help, tips, and tricks.

Malin v17/.17HMR, Handi-rifle/.223, Mossburg 500A/12g, Winchester 1300/20g, CVA eclipse magnum/.50

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 04:06:04 AM »

daman...
you knows wer's i be come'n from, heck you knows my kin in tibbe !!! ;)
an thatsa mighty fine thang !!! ;D

doc,

I might know some folks who would argue with you about the good people up here --- but ya gotta get to know 'em. Folks are just plain different in these parts and thats a good thing. I mean you can still have back glass gun racks and unlocked doors. Kids don't bother nothing but the animals and the groceries. Heck I don't even know where my front door key is!

Sometimes it is nice to be detached from the fast life.

Daman

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 01:30:33 PM »
Those places are getting harder and harder to find!.......You are blessed!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.