Author Topic: Slight reciver rust  (Read 1370 times)

Offline bigbird09

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Slight reciver rust
« on: February 08, 2011, 06:29:57 AM »
I had my .223 out of the case this weekend and notice that it was already starting to develop a little bit of rust on one side of the reciver.  What can I do to remove what little bit has developed as well as preventing it.  I usually use hoppes gun oil on my other guns and this is the first one to develop a problem.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

novice shooter, gunsmith, reloader, that is always open to help, tips, and tricks.

Malin v17/.17HMR, Handi-rifle/.223, Mossburg 500A/12g, Winchester 1300/20g, CVA eclipse magnum/.50

Offline JW307

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Slight reciver rust
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 06:38:03 AM »
Birchwood Casey Barricade will take it off with a little scrubbing and if you keep spraying it on it should help keep it from happening anymore.  A dehumidifier in your safe or cabinet will also help.

Offline bigbird09

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 06:58:30 AM »
A dehumidifier in your safe or cabinet will also help.

Well at the moment it rides around in a case in my car for the occasional country run for yote use.

novice shooter, gunsmith, reloader, that is always open to help, tips, and tricks.

Malin v17/.17HMR, Handi-rifle/.223, Mossburg 500A/12g, Winchester 1300/20g, CVA eclipse magnum/.50

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 07:10:37 AM »
The case probably traps moisture and rusts your gun.

Offline bigbird09

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 07:18:55 AM »
Its a canvas case with some softer padding material on the inside.  I had a mossburg 500a in it all year til the .223 replaced it a few weeks ago.  i'm just wondering if the bluing on the reciever of the handi is less than that of the other guns that I have had and that is part of the problem.  Either way I'm gonna make sure to keep it oiled and keep an eye on the rusting,  I have a hard case that I may put it in, but that would make it harder to get to though.

Thanks Guys
Levi

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 07:28:32 AM »
It's not a good idea to store a firearm in a soft case as you learned.  Even a hard case isn't wise, they not only keep moisture out, they keep it in too. When I store a firearm in a case, I add some silica gel packets to absorb moisture, they make products specifically for that, or you can just reuse the packets that come in many items you buy, they should be replace routinely tho, they aren't effective forever.  Using a better gun oil would be a wise move too.

Tim

Firearms care from the Gun Owner's Handbook, and how to remove the rust

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/corrosion/corrosion.html

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/corrosion/corrosion2.html

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/220673/hydrosorbent-silica-gel-reviews/reviews.htm?page=2&sort=rating&dir=asc

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 01:45:23 PM »
Open up the soft or hard case, padded or foam inside to breath and let it dry out near a heat vent, then spray it with a silicone treatment. Dont use an oil on foam, it will likely degrade it, but the silicone spray has not caused me any trouble in about 10yrs of use. (no more rust either!)
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 02:30:15 PM »
I agree with Tim. Gun cases are for transport, NOT storage!!

One thing I do use for guns that stay in the back of the safe is a silicone treated, nit gun sock. It breaths, protects from safe hickeys and protects from rust by its treatment. At times I have used them and a hard case for short term storage with no problems.

The rust spots can be easily removed with a real copper penny and a good gun oil. Apply the oil to the rust and using the side of the copper penny to "scratch" the rust off. As if you where scratching a scratch ticket for the lottery. The copper is softer then the steel, but harder then the rust and copper will be left in the steel where the rust pitted the steel. After wipe the steel with a clean rag with more oil and the rust will be gone.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 02:31:28 PM »
Duracoat it and never even think about rust again!

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline bigbird09

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 02:55:19 PM »
Duracoat it and never even think about rust again!

I have thought about painting it, but idk if I really want to or not,  but since it is a syntheci stock I'm debating it.

I like to carry a gun with me, just in case I see a critter, and usually cause I do some shooting at my gf's and my guns are at my parents and I'm not there very often so I carry it with me for that reason as well.  So technically it is being transported, not stored.

I think I will try to do the silicon this weekend.

Thanks Guys
Levi

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 03:05:46 PM »
See BREAK DOWN HANDI in the FAQS.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Flynmoose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 05:37:46 PM »
+1 on the copper penny treatment. I have always used Hoppes no9
and oiled it after with Kroil.
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 04:08:12 AM »
FWIW, I believe Ballistol is supposed to have something in its formulation that neutralizes the oxidizing 'salts', or whatever. It might be better as an 'after rust removal' step for a while.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline tom548

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (51)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 04:12:26 AM »
I used to have problem with some rust if I did not oil often. I talked to an older fella at a local gun show and asked how he kept his items looking so nice with people handling  them all the time. His reply "gun grease", never had a problem sense I started using it 25 years ago. I still oil action and inside of the barrels( never had problem there) but use a rag with the gun grease on it and just wipe them down before putting them away.