Author Topic: Pic's of wife's 20 ga.!  (Read 1821 times)

Offline NYH1

• Trade Count: (0)
Pic's of wife's 20 ga.!
« on: April 30, 2011, 06:12:11 PM »
It's a Remington 870 Jr. Model 20 ga.  It has the short 12" length of pull stock, 18.5" vent rib barrel with the Remchoke System, currently using imp. cyl. choke tube.  This little shotgun is really nice for a small shooter.  It's smaller then Remington's 870 Youth Model 20 ga. (13" LOP, 21" barrel).  I'm also going to add a tritium front bead sight and that should pretty much be it.  She shoots it really well with light shot shells as well as #3 buckshot.  The more she uses it the better she gets with it!

I'm setting up my 11-87 12 ga. pretty much the same way.   

Nice handy size scattergun!

Wilson Combat 2 round magazine extension.

Tac Star 4 round sidesaddle.

Wilson Combat jumbo head safety.  Pic didn't come out to well.

It's not a fully decked out tactical/tacticool shotgun. Just a KISS shotgun that works great!  ;)
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Pic's of wife's 20 ga.!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 01:38:16 AM »
ive got one identical except for the ex. mag tube sitty by the bed. Even has the same colar shells in the shell holder. thinking on putting a buris fast fire on mine so its easier for the wife to hit with it.
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 02:57:14 AM »
I love 870's! ESPECIALLY tactile versions!

Looks good, how about a light and a good strap.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 05:09:09 PM »
Good job.  I like the KISS principal too, especially in a home defense gun.  Mine is a simple 12 ga 870 with a pistol grip and 18" riot barrel only.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 01:56:32 AM »
ive got a high dollar light on my 12 guage but this little 20 has a cheap walthers light in a midway mount. I figure my wife sure isnt going to have the presence of mind to use one in the heat of an intrusion. Its mostly there because the extra weight helps her control it and get back on target quicker at the range. I also load reduced power duplex 00/#3 buck loads for it so recoil is again reduced.
blue lives matter

Offline NYH1

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 11:17:44 AM »
No need for a light or sling on this shotgun.  My wife wouldn't go looking for an intruder.  She'd stay still, an wait.  Our house is set up with a VERY good ambush position if someone was to come upstairs.  The lights are off upstairs but we leave a light on down stairs and even if that light went out for some reason, there's a window so an outside street light would still silhouette someone in the ambush spot.  Slings on guns with operators not trained to use them can be more of a hindrance then a help.  Nothing like getting a sling caught on a bed post, door nob or wrapped around something knocking it over giving your position away.  Just my $.02, YMMV!
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 11:44:57 AM »
No need for a light or sling on this shotgun.  My wife wouldn't go looking for an intruder.  She'd stay still, an wait.  Our house is set up with a VERY good ambush position if someone was to come upstairs.  The lights are off upstairs but we leave a light on down stairs and even if that light went out for some reason, there's a window so an outside street light would still silhouette someone in the ambush spot.  Slings on guns with operators not trained to use them can be more of a hindrance then a help.  Nothing like getting a sling caught on a bed post, door nob or wrapped around something knocking it over giving your position away.  Just my $.02, YMMV!

100% agreed... you are going to practice/train right?  I figured that was a given...
A properly used sling is a important accessory and a properly used light will not give away position until its too late... If your going this far, don't stop now. Sit down and look at what could happen. Play out different scenarios. Have a close friend or family member be the bad guy... (No ammo present obviously  ::)
 You could even go so far as to speak with your local police department. Many will come out and look at your vulnerable points in your particular house. This can be tantamount to a properly defended home.

My wife and I have done this as well.Different scenarios and different outcomes.  Many times its been gone over, so we work as a team. She has shot all of the the defence firearms. But a pump shot gun is too much for her. She is an accomplished pistol shooter and a small caliber revolver is her primary. A short, single shot 12 is secondary. She has shot my firearms as well. She can and is very familiar with proper use my 870, but its heavy and cumbersome for her small frame.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline NYH1

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 02:28:48 PM »
She can and is very familiar with proper use my 870, but its heavy and cumbersome for her small frame.

CW
Check out the Remington 870 Express Compact Jr 20 ga., at 5 3/4 lbs, 18.5 inch barrel and a 37 1/4" over all length, it's real handy!

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 03:47:18 PM »
NYH1, great looking little gun.  My Mossy is similar, but has the 20" barrel and a 7rd tube.  One tip, if you load the shells in the side-saddle upside down, then you speed up your reloads, just pull and load.  That way you don't have to take the shell around the receiver. . .plus, if you just throw into the breech then it's the same distance either way.

Offline NYH1

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 11:19:19 AM »
jmayton, yeah I'm going to turn the side-saddle upside down when I take it back apart to put a little blue loctite on all the screws.  Thanks for mentioning it though!  ;)

Offline NYH1

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 11:27:31 AM »
I'm setting my 11-87 12 ga. up the same way.  I have a Wilson 2 round magazine extension, Tac Star 6 round sidesaddle and a 18.5" police barrel with rifle sights on order.  Should have everything by the end of the week or early next week.  Pic's to come.  :D

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 12:32:31 PM »
Well, you don't have to turn the side saddle upside down, just the shells.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 03:46:55 PM »
Congratulations on that sweet 20 gauge defensive shotgun for your wife. That is one heck of a defensive shotgun for anyone, you did a great job on it...<><...:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline NYH1

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
Yes I do.  As it is in the pic's, as the shells go in (from the bottom to the top) they get tighter.  I turned it around a little while ago.  ;) 

Offline NYH1

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 08:04:39 PM »
Congratulations on that sweet 20 gauge defensive shotgun for your wife. That is one heck of a defensive shotgun for anyone, you did a great job on it...<><...:)
Thanks.  I'm setting my 11-87 12 ga. up the same way.  I ordered all the parts yesterday.  An 18.5" police barrel with a fixed imp. cyl. choke and rifle sights.  A Wilson 2 round mag. ext. and a Tac Star 6 round sidesaddle.

I'm going to add tritium sights to both shotguns soon.  A tritium bead on my wife's 20 ga. and either front and rear titium rifle sights or ghost ring sights on the 12 ga.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 05:02:22 AM »
Yes I do.  As it is in the pic's, as the shells go in (from the bottom to the top) they get tighter.  I turned it around a little while ago.  ;)

Understood.  Mine didn't seem to care which way they went in.

Offline NYH1

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 09:26:56 AM »
The Tac Star one I got has lines about a 1/16th of an inchwide that run the same way the shell do.  At on end they're non existent, at the other end they stick out pretty good.  You could put them in either way.  It's just quite a bit harder to go against the lines.