Author Topic: UPDATES on Building the 7" Treble-Banded Brooke Rifle by Seacoast Artillery  (Read 6328 times)

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Re: Building the 7" Treble-Banded Brooke Rifle by Seacoast Artillery
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2011, 01:55:30 AM »
I do admire you fellows work .
 Amazing craftmanship and creative  machine work.
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline oltom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2011, 02:35:42 AM »
Very nice fellows.....you both deserve a 'paris hilton' kewpie doll for this one~ :o
always nice to see museum quality work......would be nice to see a 1000yd target action!
"MORE booze!"

Offline DaveSB

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2011, 04:59:22 AM »
A work of art

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011, 05:37:16 AM »
Very nice fellows.....you both deserve a 'paris hilton' kewpie doll for this one~ :o
always nice to see museum quality work......would be nice to see a 1000yd target action!

Definitely on the path to kewpie......

Offline oltom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2011, 07:02:10 AM »
A big P.S......how much? I want one!

well.....at least i can WISH can't i??????
"MORE booze!"

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2011, 06:31:28 PM »
     Thanks for the compliments, fellas.  We had lots of meetings over the last three years to discuss , the details on this cannon.  We have the only two existing photos of this seacoast rifle.  We bought 6 new books while researching it's construction and wartime use.  This gun contributed immensely to our education on the subject of the hardwood, white oak.  It took two full weeks just to get the details of the complex, Brooke style rifling perfect.  It is like no other and is the most accurate we have made to date.

I took two other photos last night when this 175 pound cannon was finally assembled and I post them here just to show you guys some of the other essential hardware that we had to make for this large miniature, 1/6 scale gun. 

Tracy

P.S.  Kaintuck, PM sent.

You can see some of the bolt heads on the Platform and a few strengthening braces for the Chassis around the area of the Pintle Pin receiver plate.

Lots of the steel hardware that holds the white oak bolsters, rails, bases, braces and supports together, is shown here.  As with any of our properly made guns, this seacoast behemoth can be traversed 360 degrees with the pressure of only one finger on the Chassis.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 05:07:53 AM »
Art in metal and wood!
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2011, 05:31:00 AM »
Wow.  I've been enjoying watching your progress, and it really is remarkable.  Beautiful work!

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2011, 06:14:46 AM »
Mike & Tracy,
You guys really are astounding!  The precision, not only on the metal work, but the woodwork also, is absolute!  My hat off to you both.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2011, 06:22:26 PM »
     Thank you for the compliments guys,  we had lots of fun figuring out how to make a bunch of these parts.  We scratched our heads for several days on a few.  This seacoast gun was far more challenging than the 100 Pdr. Parrott.  Don't ever make the mistake of thinking that wood is easier than metal to fashion into a precise, composite assembly.  It ain't!  We will take a few pics of this gun on the range in Montana and maybe we will try for a calendar slot with a shot of her after we get the 140 pounds of steel parts blued and a few coats of finish on the Platform.

Mike and Tracy in Cut Bank, MT

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2011, 09:53:08 AM »
M & T,  Outstanding work!  Dom

Offline oltom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2011, 02:00:51 PM »
slobber slobber......... :o
"MORE booze!"

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2011, 04:38:27 PM »
Hey Guys ..... I saw it up close and personal . It is a real work of art , Plus ..... It shoots mighty fine !
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline MikeR C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2011, 06:52:20 PM »
You cannot begin to appreciate the quality of work that has gone into this gun until you see it in person. The wood to wood fit is absolutely perfect, and all of the hardware is individually made to scale and is perfectly formed.
When they said you can move it with one finger, I traversed it with one finger, my little finger.
An amazing piece of work, seeing and touching it made the the trip to the shoot worth every mile, and, well shooting it didn't hurt either :)

Thanx again Mike and Tracy,
MikeR C

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2011, 05:44:12 PM »
    Mike, 1Southpaw, Kaintuck and Dom, thanks for your kind words.  We sure had lots of fun explaining about the gun's construction and operation.  A special thanks to MikeRC and his enthusiastic wife, Aaron, Double D. and Ernie's daughter and one wandering spectator for firing the 7" Brooke at the fort and adding to the pile of wood splinters on the ground!

Thanks also to GGaskill, Aaron and his brother Cory for finding 3 of the 21 steel bolts that we shot at the fort and at a water jug.  The brothers found bolts which had wood splinters jammed in the relief groove in the bolt's base adjacent to the expanding skirt.  George's didn't have any and the skirt was very deformed as if it hit a rock or rocks.  We believe the one he found was fired at the gallon jug of red colored water which was protected by a force field generated by space aliens who have consistently interfered with our shooting over the years. 

Tracy

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2011, 06:07:41 PM »
Ahhh Space Aliens  :o  is that what it was ? They musta been on a break when I shot at the 150 yard water jug .Mike said it was awsome . ;D

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline oltom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2011, 02:46:26 AM »
Please.....could you take some pictures of the 'bolts" before and after?....I sound stupid, but I don't know what a 'bolt' is~
"MORE booze!"

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2011, 01:56:35 PM »
     Just thought it might be fun to show a movie clip of the critical grooving operation which prepares the 7" Brooke's breech to accept the 'Breech Strap' which holds the 'Trunnion Ring' with it's integral trunnions in position.  The original Trunnion Strap was 6" wide by 2" thick.  Ours are 1" high by .333" thick.  The groove is hand filed to remove the slight steps that milling creates; when the Breech Straps are made they are fitted with lots of filing to fit the Brooke's breech in 7 different areas.  The fit must be at least 90% contact to provide a 'no-rattle' assembly when the straps are drawn tight using heat at the very last step when the 'Trunnion Yoke Wedges' are driven home. 

Kaintuck,  a 'Bolt' is merely a solid projectile, in this case cylindrical, which does not contain any explosive material.  They were designed to penetrate a ship's armor and the best were made from wrought iron and weighed 120 to 140 pounds.  Ours are made from very soft, leaded steel, 12L14 to duplicate the original as much as is possible.  Our bolts weigh 8.89 oz., which is one-sixth as much as the 120 pounders.  120 X 7,000grs. = 840,000grs. / 216 = 3888.89grs. / 437.5 = 8.89 ozs.  We call them 9 oz to make it easy to remember.  The same caculations find that a 100 Pounder bolt for the Parrott Seacoast Rifle weighs only 7 oz. when scaled to 1/6th size.

Tracy

A 9 ox Brooke bolt (L), an experimental Parrott bolt which went .713" deep into a .750" plate (Center), and a hardened D-2 steel penetrator that went through a 1" boiler plate ejecting the piece at the (R).

Another view.

Click on Mike's head to see Movie clip; it may take a minute to load.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2012, 07:29:34 PM »
      We decided to limit the scope of this update of the  7” Treble-Banded Brooke Seacoast and Navy Rifle M1862 so we could show WHY we created each of the gun’s features as we did.  If you should want to build an authentic cannon someday, the first segment, “Markings” should be of interest.   Absolutely essential in any of the finer details such as the elevation gear details or the Markings, is the diligent research you do before you make the bronze lifting screw or lift a hammer to smack a steel stamp.

Here is a tip:  Buy the best research books that you can afford and buy every one you can find on your subject.  What we do is to make our research materials budget part of the Project Budget along with steel, brass, white oak, tooling and the like.  The six that we used for the Brooke build are The Big Guns by Olmstead, Stark and Tucker, Artillery and Ammunition of the Civil War by Ripley and Ironclads and Big Guns of the Confederacy, The Journal and Letters of John M. Brooke edited by his grandson George M. Brooke, Jr.  Three others played a minor role, but did help us figure out actual dimensions on the original bolts and shell used by our particular Brooke gun.  There was one on fuzes that came out recently which helped us design a mini fuze for our equipment and implement collection that is sold with our seacoast guns.  The other was a book on the art of Conrad Wise Chapman commissioned by Confederate Gen. P.G.T. Beaureguard to paint all significant seacoast gun batteries in the defense of Charleston, South Carolina.  Haven’t seen that one in four years, but it’s around here somewhere. 

Usually the Foundry I.D. marking and the Foundry Number  of the piece are found in the same place.  The Foundry Number is not the same as the gun’s Registry Number which is a consecutive number corresponding to each gun made for a particular government contract.  The Foundry Number is a Foundry process number which follows the gun through all stages of manufacture.  Our big Brooke ironclad killer does not have a registry number, just a FDY number.   Most  of the number and character impression markings on the Tredegar Iron Works (marked with T F for Tredegar Foundry) cannon and those used on W.P.F. (West Point Foundry) cannon are very similar.  We found out why  this is recently when making out a detailed list of Brooke gun stamps to be made by a custom maker.   From reading about 19thcentury marking practices in   The Big Guns,  we came across this passage:   “Furthermore, on  15 Sep 1856, Alger (Cyrus Alger & Company, C.A. & Co. of South Boston, Mass.) was credited $45 for a set of 18 cast steel dies of .75-inch height for use by Benjamin Huger at Tredegar Foundry.”  So from this passage we learned that, not only did the Tredegar buy steel marking stamps from a northern cannon foundry which most certainly used the same, but also that the size (height) of those stamps was .75-inch.  Our 1/6 scale stamp height must then be .125” or 1/8 inch.

For just the location of the  T F  1717, (foundry identification and foundry number), our research in The Big Guns revealed that this information jumped around quite a bit in the years leading up to the Civil War.    “Tredegar numbers appeared on muzzle faces at least until 1852 and were relocated in to the right rimbase face prior to 1858 in conformance with Regulations.  During the war, with only one exception as yet found, they were returned to the upper muzzle face, becoming as well virtually infallible identification of the maker.”   Maybe our gun located at Fort Moultrie is that exception, the authors of The Big Guns don’t say.   Our three on sight inspections of the muzzle face reveal that there are no markings there.

So where is the logical place to place the  T F  1717  markings?  We believe, after diligently searching the whole tube for those marks, that the broad surface of the effective rimbase, which in our case on the 7” Brooke, is the outer surface of the Right Trunnion Yoke.  In other words a return to the previous marking location or, in the case of our gun with it’s applied trunnion ring, as close as you can get to the right rimbase face.   Please see the photos below to understand where this is.  There will be other segments to this update posted in the near future on blued hardware, making the elevation screw receiver plate and the front dispart and rear stadia sights for the 7” Brooke.

Tracy

This photo from our website gallery on the 100 Pdr. Parrott Seacoast and Navy Rifle M1861 showing the style of letters and numbers commonly used by North and South during the mid-19th century. 

This is the Brooke applied Trunnion Ring, tapered to fit the tube, with roughed out front sight mass and rectangular clocking bosses to keep the front sight mass perpendicular to the rear stadia sight.  What looks like rimbases cannot be used, because they will not bear on the upper carriage cheeks.

This photo shows the U-shaped  Trunnion Yoke and front end of the connecting Breech Strao that, together form the effective rimbase on which the cheeks bear.

This photo shows the Breech Strap before it is connected to the Trunnion Yoke by the steel double dovetail keys.  In his journal Commander Brooke complained that it took a full week for the Foundry mechanics to fit the dovetail keys into their female dovetail slots on one gun.  The design was artistic, but overly complicated.  We finally found a high-res original photo showing these details and now believe that when Brooke went south for a sight setting and ordnance testing trip in 1863 to the Drewry's Bluff batteries, that the foundry mechanics rebelled and came up with a superior and far simpler connecting hardware design and used it on the other two in the shop.  The double dovetails were gone!  The markings can be stamped on the upper branch of the Trunnion Yoke near where the vertical wedge which draws the yoke and breech strap up tight is located.  Although the left trunnion is shown, the markings would be stamped on the right side Trunnion Yoke.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2012, 07:48:30 PM »
A big P.S......how much? I want one!

well.....at least i can WISH can't i? ??? ??

I wish as well. I have a feeling the cost would be so much only a museum or an AIG CEO with his big bailout bonus could afford this. If I was a billionaire I would be all over this. Absolutely incredibly amazing. WOW!

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
       Glad you like it, Dockholidaiy!  Yes, they are fairly pricey, but just because we can't afford our own work, that doesn't mean we can't admire the Mercedes Benz cars when we take the little company runabout, a Smart for Two, over to the dealer for a tune-up.  We sure wish we had known about your interest last year when they were less expensive.  After eight years of no price increases, this model went up to 16,500 from 15,000.  Because the present administration is trying really hard to make our money worthless, we are urging our customers to get their orders in quickly for the last gun, the 150 Pdr. Armstrong Gun M1864, an 8" Rifle which is the last gun in our Magnificent Seacoast Gun series.  Remember that Obama is trying three times as hard as Bush did to make our money worthless, even though Bush tried real hard to do the same thing!

Another segment of our update will be the bluing of about 1,000 pieces of hardware for the four Brooke guns we are making.  Until we get the stamps, there won't be any more pics on that effort.  We have about 100 larger parts spread out on a 4 X 8 foot sheet of Masonite over plywood temp table and 8 plastic bags, (30 Lbs.) of smaller hardware, nuts, bolts, screws, etc., etc. just to see if it all came back from the plater.  Thank goodness it did.  There is a photo below to introduce this segment of the update.

Tracy and Mike

I left the right hand cover off to try to show a little of the internal capstan in this mechanism which we call the, 'Reciprocating Lever Actuated Capstan Wheel and Elevation Screw Assembly'.  All the steel parts are blued a deep black color.

Offline KABAR2

I left the right hand cover off to try to show a little of the internal capstan in this mechanism which we call the, 'Reciprocating Lever Actuated Capstan Wheel and Elevation Screw Assembly'.  All the steel parts are blued a deep black color.

One of the things that impressed me when I saw it in person on your visit to Virginia was that little elevation device a lot of thought time and energy went into recreating it....... I know the new owners will apreciate everything that goes into each of these guns...
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
Seacoast. I could never afford this but I do feel privileged just to see it and all the pics of the progress toward completion. Thanks for this thread.  The economy may be bad and the poor working man may be hurting but the rich have never been richer in the history of the world. The whole like 6000 years the planet has been in existence theres never been a time in history when the rich was as rich as they are now. If 16500 is all your charging your going to make someone very very happy.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Seacoast. I could never afford this but I do feel privileged just to see it and all the pics of the progress toward completion. Thanks for this thread.  The economy may be bad and the poor working man may be hurting but the rich have never been richer in the history of the world. The whole like 6000 years the planet has been in existence theres never been a time in history when the rich was as rich as they are now. If 16500 is all your charging your going to make someone very very happy.

6000 years? ??? ??? ??? ??? :-\ :-\ :-\  You're kidding right?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
The whole like 6000 years the planet has been in existence, there's never been a time in history when the rich was as rich as they are now.

Depends how you measure richness.  Certainly the rich of today have lots of dollars but they are nearly worthless compared with the dollars that John D. Rockefeller had at the turn of the 20th century and a large part of them are paid to the government, which JDR did not have to do.

While my job did not exist 50 years ago, something comparable in the same field made about 10% as many dollars but could buy 100% as much stuff and had to pay a substantially smaller tax burden.

You are listening to too much Peoples' Republic Radio (NPR.)   Also, 6000 years is about the duration of large scale "civilization," not the age of the earth.  AND, this kind of subject matter should really be in the political forum instead of here.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
Mike & Tracey, simply beautiful!!!!!!!!!. Frank

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com

http://www.fototime.com/FAA844CA552F17A/standard.jpg height=375

One of the things that impressed me when I saw it in person on your visit to Virginia was that little elevation device a lot of thought time and energy went into recreating it....... I know the new owners will appreciate everything that goes into each of these guns...

Allen, you should have seen us squinting at the only photo of close-up details of the elevation gear!  It took us weeks to decide how it worked and what the internal parts looked like.  We decided to build an internal capstan wheel with a steel rod actuator.  This is how it works:  the screw is a right-hand, square thread, so looking upwards from under the breech it must turn CCW to allow the preponderance to lower the breech and elevate the muzzle.  To do this, the artilleryman must thrust the steel rod into one of the sockets on the capstan wheel and cylinder assy.  This critical assy within the mechanism is square threaded to match the brass elevation screw. When you do this and then push the lever to the right, it rotates the threaded capstan wheel and drives downward the elevation screw.  The 1,470 pounds of preponderance would then force the breech downward also, elevating the tube.

Next summer we hope to visit Maryland, Virginia, Washinton, DC, etc.  We had such fun on our last visit, we hope to see you at the  ever growing New River Valley Cannon Shoot!

Seacoast. I could never afford this but I do feel privileged just to see it and all the pics of the progress toward completion. Thanks for this thread.   

Glad you are enjoying the pics, and remember we can't afford our work either.  We are beans and cornbread folks, not caviar and fillet mignon swells!  The only way we get a gun out of our shop for us is to create a prototype gun which is fully functional, but a little different here and there in appearance.

GGaskill and Zulu, we are not sure if the earth's age item belongs in politics or religion, but either of these forums is much more suited to discuss this item than the mortar and cannon board. Thanks.

Frank, thank you sir; we respect your opinion more than you realize.  What's new in Louisiana?  Here's a Louisiana connection for you.  After watching that Cajun Pawn Stars show for the first time several weeks ago, I suddenly remembered that I bought a revolver from them on a trip to Alexandria, LA 42 years ago when I was an Infantryman in the U.S. Army stationed at Fort Polk, LA.  It was a 1917 S&W chambered for .45 ACP w/ half moon clips.  It had real stag grips, but very little finish and almost no accuracy whatsoever!  I bought one of those little bore lights at the PX one day and discovered that this gun was so well used that it had very little rifling left, hence the terrible accuracy.

All the parts are blued except for the tube and trunnion ring and breech strap assy.  Also the elevation screw socket which Mike is machining now needs bluing just as the stadia sight holder will need which is due for machining next week. 

Tracy

A few pics of the blued parts:
This is an image of the  7-Inch Treble-Banded  Brooke Seacoast and Navy Rifle M1862 that we are making now and is brought forward from Reply #29 for your convenience so you can see more readily, exactly where most of this hardware below will be installed.

From left to right we have sponge heads, rammer heads, chassis braces, chassis traverse wheel axels, upper carriage brace straps and elevation gear parts.

L to R trunnion plates, carriage, transom and platform bolts chassis rail end caps and chassis middle transom braces.

These are pintle plates, large and small traverse wheels and upper carriage wheels in the back.

Shown here are the traverse wheel axel units which are installed into slots cut in the bottom of the front and second from the rear transoms.

These are the steel, chassis-rail covers and the traverse track segments covering 90 degs each.

We have 9 bags of small parts; these are the pintle pedestal retaining nuts for bolts that hold all the pedestal timbers together.  These are 1" square and the originals were 6: square.  Large, heavy nuts so tightening the bolts would not pull them into the oak timbers.

Upper carriage elevation assy parts.  You need a way to run the carriage and tube back into battery after firing and re-loading.  These hand spike wrenches, carriage cam and axel assys and brackets lift the back end of the upper carriage which engages the large steel wheels in front with the chassis rails covers so the carriage can roll forward into battery.

These are the adjustable axles for the upper carriage wheels.  All of these parts are hidden, but need to be there for the upper carriage to function as the original did.

Offline KABAR2

http://www.fototime.com/FAA844CA552F17A/standard.jpg height=375

One of the things that impressed me when I saw it in person on your visit to Virginia was that little elevation device a lot of thought time and energy went into recreating it....... I know the new owners will appreciate everything that goes into each of these guns...

Allen, you should have seen us squinting at the only photo of close-up details of the elevation gear!  It took us weeks to decide how it worked and what the internal parts looked like.  We decided to build an internal capstan wheel with a steel rod actuator.  This is how it works:  the screw is a right-hand, square thread, so looking upwards from under the breech it must turn CCW to allow the preponderance to lower the breech and elevate the muzzle.  To do this, the artilleryman must thrust the steel rod into one of the sockets on the capstan wheel and cylinder assy.  This critical assy within the mechanism is square threaded to match the brass elevation screw. When you do this and then push the lever to the right, it rotates the threaded capstan wheel and drives downward the elevation screw.  The 1,470 pounds of preponderance would then force the breech downward also, elevating the tube.

Next summer we hope to visit Maryland, Virginia, Washinton, DC, etc.  We had such fun on our last visit, we hope to see you at the  ever growing New River Valley Cannon Shoot!

M&T I remember you discussing that when you were here.... it is quite a feat of engineering.....

I look forward to next years shoot and a chance to see the two of you again! It's always nice to be able to burn some powder and make some smoke with friends...... I have had a few upsets this year but I am hopeing it will be worked out long before this and hopefully I'll have something larger to shoot..... one can hope....