Author Topic: Scope for H&R Ultra Slug Hunter  (Read 3189 times)

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope for H&R Ultra Slug Hunter
« on: July 14, 2011, 06:30:04 AM »
Hi All.  I tried putting a Nikon Omega 3-9 x 40 scope with Warne Medium rings on my 20 gauge USH.  As I expected the ocular bell contacts the hammer spur.  I could get around this with high rings, but even with the medium rings the scope is BARELY aligned (slightly high) with my eye when I have a nice cheekweld with the stock.  It would be unacceptable with high rings.  How the heck is everybody dealing with this?  I see a lot of similar sized scopes being put on USHs, but I don't know if my head is just too small or if nobody else is bothered by this.  I'd love to hear opinions before I start shopping for another scope   :-\

Thanks!

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: Scope for H&R Ultra Slug Hunter
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 06:47:51 AM »
Some folks have bobbed the hammer a bit and modified the hammer spur to fit lower to increase clearance.  Need to make sure if you lower the spur it doesn't interfere with the barrel release when you pull the trigger.  The New Redfield scopes have a small eye piece and fairly decent optics, however, I don't think they make one specifically rated for a shotgun.  I do have one of the new Redfields on a 45-120 and it is still performing well after several hundred high recoil rounds.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline fozzy

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 09:00:46 AM »
Thanks BB!  Not sure I'm desperate enough yet to do surgery on my USH, but I'll definitely keep it in mind...

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 09:31:50 AM »
You can buy another hammer. ::)

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline bowtech302

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 09:44:08 AM »
I've got a Redfield 3-9 on mine. Love it.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 10:56:06 AM »
I have a couple simmons pro diamond 4X32 shotgun scopes they can be mounted ahead of the hammer (Note you cannot do this with the Master series Pro Diamonds)
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline fozzy

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 11:35:49 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions so far!  :)   Actually Spikehorn got me thinking - I wonder how a scout scope would do?.....

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 01:21:06 PM »
Try a Weaver 4x32 sotgun scope, you won't be disappointed.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,237176.msg1099344552.html#msg1099344552
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline fozzy

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 04:31:18 AM »
Actually the Weaver K-series 4x38 was already in my top 3!  Is there a difference between the K-series and the shotgun 4x32 as far as anyone knows, other than the diameter of the objective?  Anyone know the parallax corrections for both?

Thanks again!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 05:39:22 AM »
Read my reply #11 in the link I posted.  ;)

Tim

Offline fozzy

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 06:44:29 AM »
Ahh, of course  :-[ !  Sorry i missed that.  Have you ever put one on an USH?  Any idea what height rings to get as close to the barrel as possible without modifying the hammer? Thanks again!

Offline jasonsuch

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 11:47:33 AM »
Ahh, of course  :-[ !  Sorry i missed that.  Have you ever put one on an USH?  Any idea what height rings to get as close to the barrel as possible without modifying the hammer? Thanks again!

I checked it on mine, without modifiying the hammer, you can go medium rings easy, my Weaver 4x32 is mounted in lapped low Burris Zee rings, it may mount in the low rings just fine, but you've have to move the scope all the way to the rear so the turret saddle is close to the rear ring, then you may still have to bob the very tip of the hammer to clear the ocular bell lock ring and bevel the top front edge of the H&R base  because the scope is so short.

Tim

Offline fozzy

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 12:51:30 PM »

I checked it on mine, without modifiying the hammer, you can go medium rings easy, my Weaver 4x32 is mounted in lapped low Burris Zee rings, it may mount in the low rings just fine, but you've have to move the scope all the way to the rear so the turret saddle is close to the rear ring, then you may still have to bob the very tip of the hammer to clear the ocular bell lock ring and bevel the top front edge of the H&R base  because the scope is so short.

Tim

Thanks so much!  This helps a lot and I truly appreciate the input!

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 01:27:23 PM »
Use Spikehorn's suggestion and mount in low rings, problem solved.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 06:36:55 PM »
My old Redfield Widefield Had the most clearence with Burris low rings, but my Redfield Revolution also worked. Forget trying a Bushnell with low rings there too fat. I think I also had a Nikon Monarch on the USH at one time.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline abolt-fan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 10:37:22 PM »
I have scopes from fixed 4 powers to 3x9s mounted on my barrels.  I use both low and medium Burris Zee rings.  To make scope mounting easier I used a dremel tool on the hammers of my frames.  I secured the hammer spur as far down on the hammer as it would go and simply ground down the hammer to the top of the hammer spur.  Use a blue touch up pen and you'll be all set.  This modification has not caused any problems with the four frames and  14 or so barrels we have.

Offline fozzy

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 06:39:17 AM »
Thanks again everyone for the help!  I finally decided to just move my Sightron SII 4x32 to the USH from another gun and see how it does with Warne Maxima Low rings.  I don't know about length, but the Sightron dimensions seem very similar to the Weaver 4x32 that I was considering after quickdtoo's suggestion.

Offline LEE IN VA.

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 03:32:21 PM »
How well would this scope work on an USH .20 gauge?  Its a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-5x32.  What mounts should I get and will I have any hammer clearance issues?  I'll be getting the gun next month.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 03:55:23 PM »
I had a Bushnell Trophy on my 405 Win Target before I octagoned the barrel, it was mounted in low Leupold PRW rings which required the hammer to be modified, without modification, high rings may work.

Tim

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 07:04:57 AM »
I would and do without hesitation take metal off the hammer for clearance. My 44 magnum barrel has a 1.5x4.5 Bushnell Banner on it and using medium Weaver rings and the hammer dressed off even with the hammer extension it works perfectly. Scope is pretty good for this purpose too.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline fozzy

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 10:50:09 AM »
Just an update.  Thanks to all for the suggestions!  :)  After grinding down the hammer and spur with my Dremel as was suggested, I now have enough clearance for either my Sightron 4x32 on Warne low rings or my Nikon Omega 3-9x40 on Warne medium rings.
Maybe we should all send a suggestion to H&R to make the hammer shorter in the future, and have a shorter replacement available..... 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 10:58:27 AM »
That's already been done 4yrs ago, I sent em pictures of the old style hammer, why they switched in the first place is beyond me.  ::)

Tim