Author Topic: New Huntsman Aquisition  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Cascade Pete

• Trade Count: (0)
New Huntsman Aquisition
« on: August 03, 2011, 11:32:03 AM »
Picked these 2 up over the weekend. One is 100%. The other has had the sites replaced with tru glow sites..May sell that barrel and keep the other parts for just in case. Both are AL prefix..Apologies for the Ugly carpet and dog hair. My flat haired Retriever is shedding like crazy. A bit warm here in Western WA the last few days...Tomorrow a Shikari will be added to the Flock..Something about this Style/Design that intrigues Me..They are both .58 Cal.
Life Memeber, NAHC
Ordained Minister
Confirmed Wood Loafer

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: New Huntsman Aquisition
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 01:41:59 PM »
Congrats!! Have they been modified to make them legal for Washington ML season?

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Cascade Pete

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 04:08:19 PM »
Yes, I think They have. Looks like a "U" shaped piece cut out over the nipple. Well done to, I might add. Almost looks factory. Looking forward to shooting these. Have just returned to BP after a 3 year Hiatus. I also got a box of round balls with it. Just need to pick up some propellant and caps. Also may need some bore butter..Looks like a trip to Cabela's might be in order. I found a Shikari in Tacoma, also. Doing a FTF on that Tomorrow. Have been looking for the Huntsman and The Shikari, and found them both in the same week. Both close to home...Go Figure..
Life Memeber, NAHC
Ordained Minister
Confirmed Wood Loafer

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 06:04:52 PM »
Larry (trotterlg) had a couple vintage Huntsmans that were modified, he lives here in western Wa, wonder if he did the work?  ;D

Tim

Offline Cascade Pete

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 07:52:43 PM »
Not Sure. Picked these up at The Puyallup show this weekend..Nice job whomever did them though....
Life Memeber, NAHC
Ordained Minister
Confirmed Wood Loafer

Offline Sprint

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 03:25:18 AM »
Pete,

H&R made a Huntsman 156W model with a cutout over the nipple when Washington regulations called for exposed ignition on muzzleloaders.

Sprint

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 07:54:05 AM »
Great score Pete three in a week would put me into  8) 8) 8)  old gun overload! Sprint that would be new information here if we could get confirmation on a "W" model. Unless it was something that Tim already had in his data bank that just hadn't been asked yet ;)  Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 08:10:29 AM »
News to me, I'd like more info too, when they were made and the source of the info maybe?

thanks,

Tim

Offline Cascade Pete

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 12:11:33 PM »
Have a line on a 3rd .58 Huntsman. Friend of mine, who is a picker, called and said he found one at a yard sale this weekend, and I could have it for $125!!. Said it had not been notched, wood was good, bit of rust in the barrel...When It rains..It Pours....Oh Yeah..Picked up the Shikari this morning..Will post pics and such in another thread...Has been a good week so far.....Not over yet..LOL
Life Memeber, NAHC
Ordained Minister
Confirmed Wood Loafer

Offline Deavis

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 05:29:23 PM »
Yes, I think They have. Looks like a "U" shaped piece cut out over the nipple. Well done to, I might add. Almost looks factory. Looking forward to shooting these. Have just returned to BP after a 3 year Hiatus. I also got a box of round balls with it. Just need to pick up some propellant and caps. Also may need some bore butter..Looks like a trip to Cabela's might be in order. I found a Shikari in Tacoma, also. Doing a FTF on that Tomorrow. Have been looking for the Huntsman and The Shikari, and found them both in the same week. Both close to home...Go Figure..

Cascade Pete -

Any chance of a photo of the U cuts in the Huntsmans? I just got a plugless one and ordered a plug from Mr. Hubbard, but in Oregon I need "open Ignition" I'd like to see yours before I give it to the machinist with some instructions. Once gone, metal is hard to replace!

Ultimately I want to hunt blacktail with it legally in Oregon. Mine is a pop in plug style if that makes a difference as to how to mill it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 01:22:34 PM »
I just got a plugless one and ordered a plug from Mr. Hubbard, but in Oregon I need "open Ignition" I'd like to see yours before I give it to the machinist with some instructions. Once gone, metal is hard to replace!

Ultimately I want to hunt blacktail with it legally in Oregon. Mine is a pop in plug style if that makes a difference as to how to mill it.

AFAIK, Hubbard only makes 209 ignition breech plugs which isn't legal in Oregon (or Washington  :-\). If he does, please let me know, I'd like a modern Huntsman for Washington ML season, but the 209 ignition is out.

Tim

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/big_game/regulations/weapons.asp
Muzzleloader
 •Scopes (permanent and detachable), and sights that use batteries, artificial light or energy are not allowed during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only, except for visually impaired hunters who have a visual acuity of ≤ 20/200 with lenses or visual field of ≤ 20 degrees (a permit is required; please see page 86). Open and peep sights made from alloys, plastic, or other materials that do not have the properties described above are legal sights. Fiber optics and fluorescent paint incorporated into or on open or iron sights are legal.

• It is illegal to hunt with on-lead bullets, jacketed bullets, sabots, and bullets with plastic or synthetic bases during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. Conical lead or lead alloy bullets with a length that does not exceed twice the diameter and lead or lead alloy round balls used with cloth, paper, or felt patches are allowed.

• It is illegal to hunt with centerfire primers as an ignition source during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.

• It is illegal to hunt with pelletized powders or propellants during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. Granular (loose) black powder and black powder substitutes are the only legal propellants during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.

• No other firearm may be used for hunting during a muzzleloader-only season (See definition page 10 or regulations book).

• Muzzleloading firearms with revolving actions are prohibited during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.

Offline Deavis

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 03:48:25 PM »
Well... I called Mr. Hubbard and told him I needed to use #11s and not 209. He told me he would look and see what he has.... called me back and told me he had one and all I needed to do was buy a nipple to screw in his provided plug. Took my address and mailed it. He told me to send him a check when I got it. Which I thought was mighty nice of him.

He did mention something about being able to use either 11 or 209 in his plug but I didnt quite understand him. May have been the accent? But he assured me 11s would work.

I'm no expert here (obviously as I am here for help).... but.... doesn't the nipple dictate the 11 vs 209 useage? the plug is just a plug?

And - Since I got you... The ramrod length of the Huntsman seems too short to adequately reach what will be the plug and load of propellant as it is hampered by the forend screw to be retained underbarrel.... am I wrong here?

AND -

Got a good load recipe to start with to shoot blacktails with a 45 cal huntsman? Thinking lead bullets and not balls.

Many thanks - 

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 08:02:51 PM »
Mr. Hubbard is known to be a gentleman.

I assume that the plug he is sending you has a hole (which is probably drilled) which fits the 209 primer, which just drops in.  The nipple for the #11 primer would screw into the hole (which is also tapped), the #11 primer would fit over the nipple.

The ramrods for the Huntsman are telescoping.  They extend out (to load), and retract (for storage under the barrel).

I would recommend that you ask PHATINJUN, about a good load for the 45cal, since he regularly uses one to hunt with.  Quickdtoo, or bubba could also most likely help you with this.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 06:39:19 AM »
Thanks Deavis, if I find a Huntsman barrel I'll have to give Hubbard a call.

Good hunting!!  ;)

Tim

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 07:28:52 AM »
Starting loads for the .45 Huntsman 250gr pure lead minnie,50gr FFFG #11 cap. I really don't have a hunting load for the #11 cap with the 45. My .45 Huntsman that I hunt with is converted to shoot Blackhorn 209 and a 360gr conical with 209 ignition. but the other one shoots just about any minnie with FFFG up to about 75grains and #11 caps. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 03:25:31 PM »
I have not used a 45, so I could not recommend any loads.  Best of luck though.
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.